• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MJ Kobe Lebron?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that if Reinsdorf had fired Krause he could have gotten everyone to come back for 1 more year.

But that was the only way.
Possible but seems kind of petty. Reinsdorf can do what he wants as the owner. He can override Krause and offer what he wants to get Jackson to stay with the promise of keeping the band together if he thought it was the right thing to do.

Players could then go on ripping Krause in front of him and behind his back as they always did...why would they care if he was still around if it was just one more year to go for #7?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the season started -- Krause told Phil Jackson it was his last year, even if he went 82-0. Krause wanted Jackson gone after 1997 -- Of course, they won another title, so they brought him back on a 1 year deal. Jackson was more ready to move on than Jordan.

Why do you think the players and coach always talked trash to Krause? He wanted to tear the team up multiple times, but they kept winning titles. And why after every game -- MJ was asked the same question? Is this his final year? It was in the writing -- everyone knew it was coming.

The title of the documentary was literally the name Jackson gave the season before it started. Jackson knew it was his last year (or Last Dance), MJ knew it was his last year, Pippen knew he'd be leaving to get that contract he wanted the Bulls to give him a few years ago. The whole, we wanted to come back or everyone would have Signed a one year deal was never happening. As a fan, I WISH they would have. But outside of Jordan -- the rest of the players wanted to go make money on the open market.

And the talk of Jordan not wanting to undertake a new challenge is foolish. He couldn't have went to another team. Chicago was paying Jordan what would be the equivalent to a team paying a player $130 million for one year today (He made almost 34 million in 1998 and the salary cap was 26.9 million).
Longwinded answer to say nothing that refuted anything I said.

AFTER the season the fellow who owns the team asked Jackson to stay and Jackson turned him down saying "it's time to go."

By challenge for MJ I meant staying and - oh, the horror - playing for a different coach. Not leaving.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- that is definitely a possibility. Though I just don't see how they'd convince Pippen. Reinsdorf would have had to pay him $25 million or more to get him to even think about it.
In that case not sure it was Pippen......you'd have had to convince Reinsdorf (or Kraus) to pay him that much and I think they might have seen what actually happened. Pippen was ready to regress, as he did in each of his last 6 seasons.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's where Reinsdorf deserves some blame.

As the owner, he had the ability to put a stop to it at any point and he never did.

It was actually him who prevented Pippen's contract from being re-negotiated. His philosophy was, once the contract is signed, I don't want to see you until it's up.
Maybe he could have made an exception but I can see that philosophy in a league with guaranteed contracts. The busts don't give money back.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible but seems kind of petty. Reinsdorf can do what he wants as the owner. He can override Krause and offer what he wants to get Jackson to stay with the promise of keeping the band together if he thought it was the right thing to do.

Players could then go on ripping Krause in front of him and behind his back as they always did...why would they care if he was still around if it was just one more year to go for #7?

Ummmm....

Pippen’s reasons for disliking Krause were not petty.

Even still, Pippen and Jordan both were very petty men.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm....

Pippen’s reasons for disliking Krause were not petty.

Even still, Pippen and Jordan both were very petty men.
Ummmmmm.........disliking him is fine. Idea he wouldn't play if he was still there is petty.

Were his reasons for disliking him he would not renegotiate his deal (which would be as much or more on Reinsdorf)?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it was the opposite.
The Heat quickly raised ticket prices, and/or yanked a bunch of inventory from normal sales avenues to sell through 3rd party sites as soon as they knew LeBron was coming.

They knew if would have a direct impact on pricing out some people from being able to attend games.
So, once this event was created, they basically went out of their way to make sure that group of people had first access to the tickets for that night.

Season ticket holders were not given any preference.
Sponsors and Premium seat holders were invited.

I know it was Rileys idea. Whether the players objected or not, I'm not sure.

As far as TV, of course, but it was just local. ESPN, etc got hold of it, and it blew up nationally.

I viewed it for what it was. Heat fans were hyped up and the players were there to celebrate with them.
I understood why 'outsiders' thought it was disrespectful etc, but whatever.

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly what the story was (obviously lol). Thanks.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he could have made an exception but I can see that philosophy in a league with guaranteed contracts. The busts don't give money back.

I agree 100%. But I do think that exceptions should be made when a player is as grossly underpaid as Pippen was.

Having said that, it's also not me who has to re-negotiate that contract and pay that money...so maybe I'd have a different point of view if I did.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacherreport already established that Paul Pierce is #1/ Everyone else is playing for 2nd.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmmmm.........disliking him is fine. Idea he wouldn't play if he was still there is petty.

Were his reasons for disliking him he would not renegotiate his deal (which would be as much or more on Reinsdorf)?

Then firing Krause would have been a show of good faith on Reinsdorf’s part to show that he was committed to bringing everybody back.

Because Krause was committed to rebuilding. And he declared his intention publicly on multiple occasions.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to know what to make of this as it doesn't say what Jackson was offered. Were they supposed to make their best offer first?

I don't think it compares much to the Lue situation.

To me, the idea Krause gets all the flak is all I didn't like. I mean, he built a 55 win team solely with guys he acquired. Phillip built the Knicks and MJ built the Bobcats/Hornets. Krause drafted Pippen, MJ drafted Adam Morrison. It's possible Krause knows more than both of them when it comes to building a team.
It compares with the Lue contract offer.

Both were offended because they thought their championship pedigree warranted a longer deal/ higher per year salary.

Agree with the other factors....

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I don't know the financials for NBA teams in the 90's, but I don't know if that would have been a possibility. If they paid MJ and Pippen the same as Jordan's 1998 salary -- that'd be $68 million in just those two players and a salary cap of only $27 million.

I think the Bulls may have lost money to try and field a team in 1999.

The big ass pink elephant in the room is Pippen.

He wasn't coming back for a 1 year balloon payment when the Blazers had 100 mil on the table.

Too much had happened by then, he was done.

The Owner let the shit go on way to long.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%. But I do think that exceptions should be made when a player is as grossly underpaid as Pippen was.

Having said that, it's also not me who has to re-negotiate that contract and pay that money...so maybe I'd have a different point of view if I did.

I guess, but for every underpaid Pippen there is, isn't there an overpaid Mozgov (yeah..I get it...different times, but he's the first who came to mind). I don't think he offered to give money back (nor did Luol Deng).

To me, if any players should get deals redone (if any should) it's NFL guys who can be dumped if they don't produce.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then firing Krause would have been a show of good faith on Reinsdorf’s part to show that he was committed to bringing everybody back.

Because Krause was committed to rebuilding. And he declared his intention publicly on multiple occasions.

why does he need to be fired? Reinsdorf could just say they talked it out and decided they wanted to go for a 7th. Or just say a rebuild will be necessary but they are putting it off a year.

Is that why Pippen hates Krause? Because he said a rebuild was necessary? That's it?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It compares with the Lue contract offer.

Both were offended because they thought their championship pedigree warranted a longer deal/ higher per year salary.

Agree with the other factors....

without knowing what he was offered I guess it's hard to know if Phillip should have been offended.

I think with Lue it was more about being told who his assistants needed to be.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big ass pink elephant in the room is Pippen.

He wasn't coming back for a 1 year balloon payment when the Blazers had 100 mil on the table.

Too much had happened by then, he was done.

The Owner let the shit go on way to long.
what did he let go on too long? I can understand making a guy who has a guaranteed deal honor his contract. sure, he could have renegotiated it, but as mentioned players who don't live up to their deals don't give money back.

what else went on too long? Hanging on to a GM who did his job pretty well? a guy most probably didn't like because of how he looked and because he would not bow down to them.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longwinded answer to say nothing that refuted anything I said.

AFTER the season the fellow who owns the team asked Jackson to stay and Jackson turned him down saying "it's time to go."

By challenge for MJ I meant staying and - oh, the horror - playing for a different coach. Not leaving.

Well, the guy the owner hired to run the team, had already told the team it was the final year BEFORE the season. Jackson wasn't coming back. Jordan wasn't coming back. Pippen wasn't coming back. Rodman was going to Vegas on vacation in the middle of the season and wrestling with Hulk Hogan during the playoffs.

Jordan saying he wanted to come back is BS. Even if Jackson had agreed to come back -- Pippen was gone. Rodman......who knows?

This wasn't the NBA today where the salary cap is $115 million. The salary cap was $27 million. To bring all the guys back for what they would have wanted, the Bulls would have lost money on the year.

And I'm not sure what the challenge would be playing for a new coach -- Jordan had 4 different coaches in his 13 years in Chicago.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At no point did I threaten to ban you.

But I'll tell you what I can do for you. I can see that your banned from a hell of a lot more than a thread if that'll make you happy and fulfill your desire to be an e-martyr.

I would suspend him for shits and grins. Whenever he takes up a full page by himself...

He gone