• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota rules the world of football

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I say anything, I have a very high regard for the Univ of Michigan, both it's academics and research endeavors, they rank slightly higher than Minnesota in both, as well as it's athletics, where overall, including all sports, and NOT just Natl Titles, Michigan again ranks slighty higher than Minnesota in this regard.

While I often limit the scope of analysis to the 4 major league representative sports, Michigan dominated men's swimming and diving for a long time and Phelps alone produced more Olympic Medals than all but 43 colleges out there. That being said...

Minnesota, in the money sports, has won several Natl Titles in the 21st century. Michigan has won NONE.

UMn = TWO Men's Hockey Natl Titles.
Michigan has won ZERO.

UMn = THREE Wrestling Natl Titles.
Michigan has won ZERO.

UMn = ONE Men's Golf Natl Title.
Michigan has won ZERO.

UMn = SEVEN Women's Hockey Natl Titles.
Michigan has won ZERO.

Am I being unfair, limiting the time frame too much? Ok, lets go back 50 years.

UMn = FIVE Men's Hockey Natl Titles.
Michigan has just TWO.

UMn = THREE Wrestling Natl Titles.
Michigan still has ZERO.

UMn = ONE Men's Golf Natl Title.
Michigan has ?.

UMn = ZERO Football Natl Titles.
Michigan has just ONE.

UMn = ZERO Basketball Natl Titles.
Michigan has just ONE.

UMn = SEVEN Women's Hockey Natl Titles.
Michigan has ZERO.

Total men's money sport titles last 50 years?

UMn = 9
Mich = 4

Total women's sports titles in the 21st century

UMn = 7
Mich = 2

Going back another 15 years, UMn adds THREE Titles, Michigan only 2.

That's 12 to 6, UMn's won TWICE AS MANY Natl Titles in Men's Money sports over the last 65 years!!! Oh wait, I added Wrestling, so I won't forget Michigan can add a Tennis Title in 1967. So 12 to 7.

You have to go back all the way to 1948, for Michigan to finally pass UMn up, so I guess you could say Michigan has UMn beat by ONE SINGLE SOLITARY Title if you go back to 1948.

But go back and I'll use my father's lifetime as the time frame, he was born in 1932, so last 90 years, and UMn AGAIN jumps ahead with 5 more Cfb Natl Titles & 2 more Hockey Natl Titles with Michigan only adding 2 more cfb titles & 2 golf titles.

So in my father's lifetime, he's seen the Gophers win

19 Men's Natl Titles in money sports,
19 Dance Natl Titles in last 20 years,
6 Women's Hockey NCAA Natl Titles in the last 20 years.

vs

18 Men's Natl Titles in money sports for Michigan,
18 Swim & Dive, Men's Trampoline & Feild hockey Natl Titles for Michigan in last 90 years,
2 Women's sports Natl Titles for Michigan in the last 20 years.

19 > 18
19 > 18
6 > 2.

Am I being too manipulative? Should I go back a simple 100 years? A simple Century?

UMn adds 7 more Hockey Natl Titles, Michigan adds 1 cfb title.

Am I STILL being too manipulative? Am I avoiding going back to the beginning of the 20th Century because I'd have to add Michigan's Point a Minute Men Titles? Michigan would add 5 cfb Titles if I went back to 1900, UMn would only add 4 cfb titles AND THREE Cbb titles, so sure, lets go back to 1900.

33 Men's Natl Titles in money sports for UMn VS 26 for Michigan,
7 Women's Natl Titles for Minnesota Gophers VS 2 for Michigan,
32 Natl Titles in non-money sports for UMinn VS 29 for Michigan,
also
33 US Olympic Hockey Medals for Minnesota VS 2 for Michigan,
178 Academic All-Americans for the Gophers VS 163 for Michigan,
10 Nobel Prizes won by Univ Minnesota alum VS 8 for Michigan.

Again, I reiterate, the above points out ONLY NATL TITLES. Michigan only has 11 cfb titles bestowed upon them by Major Selectors, UMn has 9. And 4 of those 11 for Michigan are over 115 years old. Michigan has only won 7 of those 11 in the last 115 years, UMn's won 8 in the last 115 years. Using Wamu's bs measure that a team can not claim to be better than another team if they have fewer Natl Titles would come into play here, which is bs. No way on earth I'd claim Minnesota as the better football program as compared to Michigan if you include the last 60 years, but that does not change THE FACT that Minnesota has been awarded MORE Natl Titles in cfb, by major selectors than Michigan has over the last 115 years, the last 100, and the last 90 years, and they have been tied with the same # of titles for the last 75 years if you count this season.

Michigan is also a higher rated Research and Academic Institution than Minnesota, they finish better in the Sears Director's Cup and just in general are a more prestigious university. I'm fine with admitting as much. But the gap between the two schools is no where near as wide as the gap between UMn and Oregon. Michigan is ranked like in the #3-5 range among Public Universities, and UMn is ranked in the #7-9 range about, while Oregon might not even be ranked among the Top 100???

There are 2 money sports.

Basketball
Football.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, they will, maybe not 31-0 like they did to Rutgers, but they'll win.

that's what happens when you play like sh1t without your two best players vs Purdue and then play the next 2 games vs Top 20 ranked Illinois, who were just the better team that day and probably any day? and Top 20 PSU without that #1 WR and our starting QB, while Nebraska was playing chumps.

Now the Huskers found out how good the Illini are this year. This next weekend they'll find out how good the Gophers are and then it's Michigan? lol UMn plays NW after Nebraska.

Good programs have depth, they don't whine about injuries when they lose to ILLINOIS :pound::pound::pound:

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 2 money sports.

Basketball
Football.
There are TWO sports colleges, in general, and the NCAA make money on, Football & Basketball. YES, I agree

There are SEVERAL sports that college athletes can make a living playing AFTER their collegiate playing days are over.

The 4 Major League Sports, Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey, and
then sports like Golf & Tennis, and I included wrestling as well.
Then to a lesser degree, the WNBA, the Women's Pro Hockey leagues, the CFL, the NBA Development League, Minor League Baseball, etc..

And then there are olympic sports, that outside of getting endorsement money, does not usually have a professional league or tournament circuit where the athlete can go on to make a living continuing to compete in their sport. After college, once their chances of making the Olympic teams fade, they have to either go into coaching or retire from the sport basically. It's fun when your school does well at these sports, but for the most part a person can't retire off of their earnings from these sports like they can off of their earnings from a long career in the NFL or NBA or NHL or MLB.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good programs have depth, they don't whine about injuries when they lose to ILLINOIS :pound::pound::pound:
If you had the ability to read or maybe more accurately, comprehend what you read, you would notice the whining was mostly over the losses to Purdue and PSU. I credited Illinois for simply being the better team and we had both our QB and Ibrahim vs Illinois, too. But even without our starting QB and our #1 WR, we were still in the game vs PSU, until the refs intervened.

And you might need to be careful, the Illini could end up playing your Ducks in a bowl game if Oregon doesn't get into the Rose Bowl. Doubt you'll be laughing then.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, they will, maybe not 31-0 like they did to Rutgers, but they'll win.

that's what happens when you play like sh1t without your two best players vs Purdue and then play the next 2 games vs Top 20 ranked Illinois, who were just the better team that day and probably any day? and Top 20 PSU without that #1 WR and our starting QB, while Nebraska was playing chumps.

Now the Huskers found out how good the Illini are this year. This next weekend they'll find out how good the Gophers are and then it's Michigan? lol UMn plays NW after Nebraska.

This Nebraska team is really, really, bad.
Nothing will be learned about Minnesota, unless they lose.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You knew this wouldn't age well, right?

Nebraska is now 3-5 to UMn's 5-3, and UMn's an 11 pt favorite to beat Nebraska next weekend.

UMn's ranked Top 40, Nebraska's ranked 90th, lol.
Title of thread, Minnesota rules the world of football to....

We're top 40th!!!!

Neat

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title of thread, Minnesota rules the world of football to....

We're top 40th!!!!

Neat
A couple things.

1st, this thread was started 2 years ago after I learned about something Mankato St had done not that long ago, at that time. Honestly was not meant to be a Gopher only thing.

2nd, the season isn't over yet, that ranking will improve with each win, 4 more of which are coming, maybe 5.

3rd, at least one ranking has UMn ranked 8th. Also UMn's still #1 in 3rd downs, both converting them & preventing them from being converted.

4th, UMn's STILL #1 at producing NFL Head Coaches, NFL All-Decade Players & NFL Annual Point Scoring leaders.

5th, 40th is better than Iowa's 53rd.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are TWO sports colleges, in general, and the NCAA make money on, Football & Basketball. YES, I agree

There are SEVERAL sports that college athletes can make a living playing AFTER their collegiate playing days are over.

The 4 Major League Sports, Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey, and
then sports like Golf & Tennis, and I included wrestling as well.
Then to a lesser degree, the WNBA, the Women's Pro Hockey leagues, the CFL, the NBA Development League, Minor League Baseball, etc..

And then there are olympic sports, that outside of getting endorsement money, does not usually have a professional league or tournament circuit where the athlete can go on to make a living continuing to compete in their sport. After college, once their chances of making the Olympic teams fade, they have to either go into coaching or retire from the sport basically. It's fun when your school does well at these sports, but for the most part a person can't retire off of their earnings from these sports like they can off of their earnings from a long career in the NFL or NBA or NHL or MLB.

Point being...just taking those 2 sports the gulf between Michigan and Minnesota has been enormous. Its not even close.

Boiling it down to titles is silly when you have 300 plus hoops schools and 130 football schools.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being...just taking those 2 sports the gulf between Michigan and Minnesota has been enormous. Its not even close.

Boiling it down to titles is silly when you have 300 plus hoops schools and 130 football schools.

For one, I was NEVER the one to focus only on Titles, that was Wamu. So your adding your 2 cents on the issue, only helps bolster my argument with Wamu. But you also can't discount that factor, either.

Also, I think you could tell that I was making that point, that titles are not the only thing to look at, and I DID acknowledge that other factors put Michigan ahead of Minnesota in general, and specifically in regards to football as well. I am sure you are right about Michigan having a significant edge in basketball, but "enormous"? I'll look into it, maybe you are right?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you might need to be careful, the Illini could end up playing your Ducks in a bowl game if Oregon doesn't get into the Rose Bowl. Doubt you'll be laughing then.
Unfortunately, 'his' Ducks will likely be in the PAC CCG, which would give them a little less than a 50 percent chance to be in the Rose Bowl.

The Ducks only ranked road team they have faced all year, was at a neutral site, but still away from Autzen, and the Ducks lost big time by 46 points! And just forget about the rest of their out of conference games, it's a joke.

The only ranked PAC team the Ducks may face away from Autzen, could be the Beavers. (In other word's they've had a VERY favorable in conference schedule this year.) And that requires the Beavs to hold onto a top 25 ranking by their final game. (Currently the Beavs are at No. 24, and not a bad team, but the Ducks will still be huge road favorites)

The way I see it, currently it's a little better than a 25 percent chance for the Ducks, Trojans or Bruins to make the Rose Bowl. The Utes, due to tiebreakers, are on the outside looking in, and of course the Huskies and Beavers still have an outside chance too.

With that however, one of those three first teams I mentioned, may find themselves in the Fiesta or Peach Bowl by seasons end, so who the heck knows at this point in the season.

Last edited:

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, 'his' Ducks will likely be in the PAC CCG, which would give them a little less than a 50 percent chance to be in the Rose Bowl.

The Ducks only ranked road team they have faced all year, was at a neutral site, but still away from Autzen, and the Ducks lost big time by 46 points! And just forget about the rest of their out of conference games, it's a joke.

The only ranked PAC team the Ducks may face away from Autzen, could be the Beavers. (In other word's they've had a VERY favorable in conference schedule this year.) And that requires the Beavs to hold onto a top 25 ranking by their final game. (Currently the Beavs are at No. 24, and not a bad team, but the Ducks will still be huge road favorites)

The way I see it, currently it's a little better than a 25 percent chance for the Ducks, Trojans or Bruins to make the Rose Bowl. The Utes, due to tiebreakers, are on the outside looking in, and of course the Huskies and Beavers still have an outside chance too.

With that however, one of those three first teams I mentioned, may find themselves in the Fiesta or Peach Bowl by seasons end, so who the heck knows at this point in the season.

Your team got wrecked by Oregon.

Sit down.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sit down.
Entire Pac conf is overrated.

USC got rated on nothing concrete, pure speculation.

Name me one single ranked team, hell, even a team getting votes, that a Pac team beat.

Go on, I'll wait.

BYU got overrated by beating #9 ranked, at the time, Baylor.
Baylor lost to WVU and is only 5-3 right now. Baylor sucks!!!

BYU then got beat by Oregon, making Oregon look better than they are.
BYU has lost to Notre Dame, who lost to frigging Stanford, and
BYU lost to Liberty and
BYU lost to ECU.
BYU is 4-5,
they suck!!!

WSU beat over rated Wisconsin, ranked #19 at the time,
UW is now 4-4.
UW got beat by MSU.
they suck!!!

Washington beat overrated MSU, ranked #11 at the time,
MSU is now 3-5,
they suck!!!

Utah lost to overrated Florida, though UF mostly got overrated because of beating Utah, they've since lost 4 of their last 7 games

USC hasn't beaten anyone of note really, Oregon St 17-14? That's the best win?

UCLA got overrated by beating overrated Washington and overrated Utah. //

Oreg St hasn't beaten anyone of note, really, as we all know now that WSU is not a team of note.

Ariz lost to Miss St and Cali

Cali lost to Notre Dame, WSU & COLORADO!!!

Stanford beat ASU by 1 and Colgate and NO ONE ELSE, cept Notre Dame.
Notre Dame SUCKS!!!

ASU lost to EMU & Stanford. They suck!!!

Outside of UCLA, who got overrated beating overrated Washington and overrated Utah, who has Oregon beaten that's any good?

Like I said, the ENTIRE PAC is overrated.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was referring to Bud Wilkinson. I'd say his coach Bernie Bierman was better, but since you mentioned Vince, his #1 assistant coach was a former Gopher.
Vince Lombardi didn’t have assistant coaches.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vince Lombardi didn’t have assistant coaches.
"while Bengtson was a former Packer coach"

quoted from the Wikipedia article on the Packers. Bengston did not coach the Packers before Lombardi, but immediately after, SO... without knowing better, which I do but apparently you don't, the clear implication was Bengston was an ASST Coach. And I know for a fact that he was an asst to Lombardi and that Lombardi hand picked Bengston to be his successor.

Taken from Bengston's Wikipedia page.

Bengtson was the only assistant coach to stay for the entire nine-year tenure of Lombardi (1959–1967). His work as defensive coordinator of the Packers established his coaching ability and put him in line to succeed Lombardi. From 1961 to 1967, the Packers captured five NFL titles, and the first two Super Bowls.

Bengtson was a native of Roseau, Minnesota, and played tackle under Bernie Bierman at the University of Minnesota during the 1930s. In 1934, he earned All-America honors with the Golden Gophers, working in tandem with a player who went to coaching immortality: quarterback Bud Wilkinson.

Bengtson took his first assistant coaching job at the University of Missouri in 1935, but soon returned to his alma mater as line coach, staying through the 1939 season. Beginning in 1940, he moved to Stanford University, where he served as an assistant coach for 12 years.

So he was an assistant coach on a couple Natl Title winning teams at Minnesota, and Stanford was named Natl Champs in 1940, that was a former Gopher Clark Shaughnessy who took on Bengston as his assistant coach, and then later was the assistant coach for the first Super Bowl Champs.

Not a bad resume.

Last edited:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sit down.
Wrecked? No Duck opponent has put up 30 or more in Autzen in 3 years like the Bruins did.

Hey, I'll give it up, Nix is special, and he had a special game vs the Bruins that day, but still your Ducks felt the need to pull the sneaky on side kick. I'll give them credit for pulling it off, but if they didn't steal a possession there like they did, it's a different ball game. Winning special teams at home like that is huge, but it's not even in the playbook of a team out there with the wrecking crew.

Losing 49-3 at a neutral site......... Now THAT is getting wrecked!

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrecked? No Duck opponent has put up 30 or more in Autzen in 3 years like the Bruins did.

Hey, I'll give it up, Nix is special, and he had a special game vs the Bruins that day, but still your Ducks felt the need to pull the sneaky on side kick. I'll give them credit for pulling it off, but if they didn't steal a possession there like they did, it's a different ball game. Winning special teams at home like that is huge, but it's not even in the playbook of a team out there with the wrecking crew.

Losing 49-3 at a neutral site......... Now THAT is getting wrecked!

At no point in the 2nd half was UCLA within striking distance.

Congrats on your garbage time points when you were getting blown out