• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan football is a fucking embarrassment

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, giving up that many yards to Akron was bad - but we stopped them from scoring and that's the important part. I think that was more an anomaly than anything else. Our defense basically shut down UConn. While not impressive alone, it proves that what Akron did was abnormal. Unlike the offense which proved that there were some serious issues. Gardner has the physical abilities to be great (like we was against ND) but his mental abilities need some work. Once he throws that first INT, it's downhill. That can be worked on, how quickly it can be fixed is another issue.

I don't think we have a top 10 defense, and it's very young, but I certainly think we have a decent one; especially when Jake Ryan comes back.

I'd say their delay of game penalty is what stopped them. Otherwise, that last pass they had would've been crossing the goal line instead of the 5 yard line. If allowing 21 points to UConn is "shutting them down", then I guess Maryland and especially Towson shut them down, as well...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name the teams that have been FAR worse. If I recall, that VT team was one of the lowest-ranked teams ever to get a non-automatic bid. What the ACC is doing this year is irrelevant to 2+ years ago, also, so I'm not sure why you even bothered to bring that up.

Check out the Big East teams of the last 15 years.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of time? There would have been roughly 1 minute left. Unless you're Oregon, that's far from "plenty of time". You certainly would've needed an heroic drive from DR that was far from a guarantee.

A little over a minute with two time outs? Thats a ton of time in CFB. Should OSU have scored a TD on that play, Michigan only would have needed a field goal to win it. Certainly enough time to do that.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out the Big East teams of the last 15 years.

WVU and Louisville have been far better than VT. Only Cincinnati and then that one UConn and Pitt team were worse than VT.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say their delay of game penalty is what stopped them. Otherwise, that last pass they had would've been crossing the goal line instead of the 5 yard line. If allowing 21 points to UConn is "shutting them down", then I guess Maryland and especially Towson shut them down, as well...

The defense didn't allow 21 points against UConn. In case you forgot, Gardner gave them 1 pick 6 and then gave them the ball on our own like 30. The defense gave up 1 major drive that lead to a TD. UConn only had 206 total yards and was 1-11 on 3rd down. I'd say we pretty well shut them down.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little over a minute with two time outs? Thats a ton of time in CFB. Should OSU have scored a TD on that play, Michigan only would have needed a field goal to win it. Certainly enough time to do that.

Maybe, but it would've been far from a guarantee.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UM was 7-6 the year before Hoke was hired. His first year -- UM was 11-2 and won a BCS game, as well as beat Ohio State.

Rich Rod was 15-22 in 3 years at UM. Brady Hoke has taken over a roster filled with Rich Rod recruits and in 2 years and 4 games -- he is 19-7. I'd say that is a pretty good turnaround.

Hoke took over a roster with RR recruits and went 11-2 and not this his recruits are playing he can barely best what could be argued the 2 worst teams in FBS?

Now that is a fair question, I am stratching my head over the poor D-line play. But given those first two years I am willing to give a little latitude. Let's just wait and see what kind adjustments get made coming out of the bye-week.

Though I can tell you defense as a whole will pick up once Jake Ryan gets back on the field.

I agree Ryan will make a big difference. I just do not understand going from 11-2 to where they are now. I get a down 1/2 for the Akron game after the ND win but the rest of the game and then UConn. I just see that is coaching. I hope he turns things around.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU and Louisville have been far better than VT. Only Cincinnati and then that one UConn and Pitt team were worse than VT.

Right, so you could name 3 teams off the top of your head that were worse just from the BE. And I'm sure I could find a bunch more. VT was ranked 11th at the time, so I doubt they were one of the lowest ranked teams to get an auto bid.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair, this statement is a stretch. Michigan lost the turnover battle 4-1 and their defense had nothing to do with a fumble return for a touchdown. UConn amassed a whopping 206 yards of total offense and was 1-11 on third downs. Our defense wasn't the reason UConn was winning this game. Again, nothing to be proud of.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense didn't allow 21 points against UConn. In case you forgot, Gardner gave them 1 pick 6 and then gave them the ball on our own like 30. The defense gave up 1 major drive that lead to a TD. UConn only had 206 total yards and was 1-11 on 3rd down. I'd say we pretty well shut them down.

I didn't forget, I didn't even know. It was such an ugly, embarrassing game, I didn't even see what had happened except that you needed to win late.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but it would've been far from a guarantee.

lol, ok? We're playing hypotheticals. You're trying to discount our win because your QB threw a bomb to no one at the end of the game. I used the same thing to discount a few of your wins and all of a sudden it doesn't work. That's a double standard.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoke took over a roster with RR recruits and went 11-2 and not this his recruits are playing he can barely best what could be argued the 2 worst teams in FBS?

I agree Ryan will make a big difference. I just do not understand going from 11-2 to where they are now. I get a down 1/2 for the Akron game after the ND win but the rest of the game and then UConn. I just see that is coaching. I hope he turns things around.

Hoke's recruits are mostly sophomores and freshman. The fact that we're playing a lot of them should say a lot about what RR left us. Unfortunately, unlike Urban, Hoke didn't get here with 4 and 5 star kids lining the roster at every position. It will be a few more years until we have the depth that OSU had right now, and that's the difference between where OSU is at and where Michigan is at.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, how about Hawaii in 2007? Or Northern Illinois last year?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to mention the freak turn over on the punt return that gave them the ball within the 10 yard line.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, ok? We're playing hypotheticals. You're trying to discount our win because your QB threw a bomb to no one at the end of the game. I used the same thing to discount a few of your wins and all of a sudden it doesn't work. That's a double standard.

Not discounting it, just saying we had a very clearly defined opportunity to win it, and it wasn't Michigan that stopped us. You were trying to discount everything OSU did for years to beat you and speak in generalities and not specifics. "If Henne's shoulder wasn't hurt" and "if RR wasn't our coach" don't speak to any advantage that you'd have over Ohio State or suggest you'd somehow beat us. That play, however, would've put you at a very specific disadvantage, needing to drive the field with 1 minute left in the game in order to win. There's an enormous difference between the 2, and I know you're smart enough to get it, so I'll let this be the end of this conversation.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, maybe. I'd take both of those offenses over what VTis trotting out on the field.

There's more to the game than offense my friend. Besides Georgia was able to contain that vaunted Hawaii offense to just 10 points and FSU did the same to Norther Illinois. It's easy to put of big offensive numbers in the MAC and the WAC.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, so you could name 3 teams off the top of your head that were worse just from the BE. And I'm sure I could find a bunch more. VT was ranked 11th at the time, so I doubt they were one of the lowest ranked teams to get an auto bid.

They didn't get an auto-bid, that went to Clemson. VT inexplicably got an at-large.

To be fair, this statement is a stretch. Michigan lost the turnover battle 4-1 and their defense had nothing to do with a fumble return for a touchdown. UConn amassed a whopping 206 yards of total offense and was 1-11 on third downs. Our defense wasn't the reason UConn was winning this game. Again, nothing to be proud of.

I'm not going to argue that your defense did well against UConn any more than you'd argue we did well against San Diego State. I'm just saying it's not that big of a deal because others have done it, also.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not discounting it, just saying we had a very clearly defined opportunity to win it, and it wasn't Michigan that stopped us. You were trying to discount everything OSU did for years to beat you and speak in generalities and not specifics. "If Henne's shoulder wasn't hurt" and "if RR wasn't our coach" don't speak to any advantage that you'd have over Ohio State or suggest you'd somehow beat us. That play, however, would've put you at a very specific disadvantage, needing to drive the field with 1 minute left in the game in order to win. There's an enormous difference between the 2, and I know you're smart enough to get it, so I'll let this be the end of this conversation.

lol, it wasn't Michigan who stopped you? It couldn't have been the guys rushing at Miller who made him over throw a wide open guy? Or, your guys just weren't good enough to win. Either way, you got beat. You're trying to nit pick one play, again, I could go through and find some play where Michigan could have beat OSU by more and that one play wouldn't have mattered. I'm honestly just too lazy to do so - but I know they exist. The only reason you have that play in your mind is because it happened at the end of the game.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's more to the game than offense my friend. Besides Georgia was able to contain that vaunted Hawaii offense to just 10 points and FSU did the same to Norther Illinois. It's easy to put of big offensive numbers in the MAC and the WAC.

And the ACC. That VT team was incredibly bland. They got smoked vs. the only 2 teams they faced before the bowl game that were worth a damn, Clemson and Clemson again. Otherwise, they played absolutely nobody. Their resume was certainly not one that was indicative of a BCS at large, yet they got one anyhow.