• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan bit with the Alabama and OSU career ending injury bug

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a coincidence, it's a hook up at best.

12 players makes up probably less than 5% of players who have left early during the Saban years. You're just stupid.

Every program deals with natural attrition. If you think a dozen medical hardships in 4 years is natural attrition, you are the stupid one.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every program deals with natural attrition. If you think a dozen medical hardships in 4 years is natural attrition, you are the stupid one.

That's only 3 a year. If you think that's a big factor in getting down to 85 then you're stupid.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's only 3 a year. If you think that's a big factor in getting down to 85 then you're stupid.
Since it is "only" 3 a year for 4 years. Show us all the other coaches who aren't shady that have had this happen? Because we know Saban doesn't push the rule boundaries to gain an advantage -- I'm sure you could list a dozen programs who have suffered hardships like this.

Natural attrition happens. Cut throat and shady coaches use forced attrition. Personally, I don't care what a coach uses, but I'm not arguing how my coach isn't shady and readily admit he is pushing the boundaries of the rules to try and gain an advantage.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it is "only" 3 a year for 4 years. Show us all the other coaches who aren't shady that have had this happen? Because we know Saban doesn't push the rule boundaries to gain an advantage -- I'm sure you could list a dozen programs who have suffered hardships like this.

Natural attrition happens. Cut throat and shady coaches use forced attrition. Personally, I don't care what a coach uses, but I'm not arguing how my coach isn't shady and readily admit he is pushing the boundaries of the rules to try and gain an advantage.

Medical scholarships aren't given out by the coach. They don't even need to happen to get rid of a kid, and everything else you refuse to acknowledge.

Most kids transfer, kids who already have their degree don't have their scholarships renewed and stuff like that is how the real attrition happens. But your ignorant ass can't even hit on the real things, you just keep harping on over bullshit and ignoring the truth.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Medical scholarships aren't given out by the coach. They don't even need to happen to get rid of a kid, and everything else you refuse to acknowledge.

Most kids transfer, kids who already have their degree don't have their scholarships renewed and stuff like that is how the real attrition happens. But your ignorant ass can't even hit on the real things, you just keep harping on over bullshit and ignoring the truth.

I know what natural attrition is. And if you think Medical Hardships aren't being initiated by coaches, you are foolish.

Alabama has routinely had to trim its roster ahead of the season. Placing players on medical scholarships has helped it do so.

That May, he was approached by coaches and trainers and asked to take a medical scholarship. (Kirschman/LB with a 4.0 GPA, but never played)

Another quote when they asked Kirschman about the Hardship:
But he said he felt he was pressured. "It was pushed," he said. "It was instigated for several players."

I'm sure Alabama's own players are just making this stuff up.

Hell -- I flat out will tell you. The two players on UM's team who "medically retired" a few weeks ago had nothing to do with injuries. I can list injuries for you and make up stories about a physical they didn't pass, etc. It is just BS though. Top coaches manipulate the roster any way they see fit and push the boundaries of the rules until someone tells them they can't.

One of the fastest ways to rebuild a roster after you take over a team? Full recruiting classes and getting rid of players who don't fit or contribute. If they don't transfer, you don't renew their scholarship for a 5th year. If they didn't play, here comes the failed physical and a medical hardship offer. Once you have a team full of your own recruits -- you go back to business as usual and the hardships go back to the norm for the rest of the NCAA. (Saban put out the blue print, Meyer copied it and I readily admit, Harbaugh is doing the exact same thing and the few he has handed out is just the tip of the iceberg)

Or....................you can argue the injuries are all legit (which prothro's definitely was and zeke's too) and your coach isn't shady.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't even need to happen to get rid of a kid

If you need to get down to 85 and you don't "cut" players based on skill. Your options are limited, once the natural attrition is done and you still need to remove players, you find those contributing nothing to fall on the sword -- medical hardships is the way to go.

There is a reason why coaches don't openly "cut" players. The negative PR from doing something like that would be a huge black eye to a program. This way -- the kid gets the scholarship and the football team gets the roster spot.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't understand or care how he did it, but Butch Jones signed something like 30 kids a year for 3 years or so...
ImpracticalAptIrukandjijellyfish.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you need to get down to 85 and you don't "cut" players based on skill. Your options are limited, once the natural attrition is done and you still need to remove players, you find those contributing nothing to fall on the sword -- medical hardships is the way to go.

There is a reason why coaches don't openly "cut" players. The negative PR from doing something like that would be a huge black eye to a program. This way -- the kid gets the scholarship and the football team gets the roster spot.
Just want to point out that, of those 40 players Urban supposedly culled from the herd, only 12 were medical hardships.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jim will Your Boyz beat Ohio State, Michigan State & win the BigTen this year?

rnok9sdasadas.jpg

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to point out that, of those 40 players Urban supposedly culled from the herd, only 12 were medical hardships.
No doubt, medical hardships are used as a last resort. Once the smoke clears from the natural attrition on each rosters (transfers, not renewing 5th year seniors, kicked off for behavior, grades, etc ) Then medical hardships come into play when you still need to clear spots.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hurts your premise of Meyer being shady doesn't it?

I'm thinking you should read the article. The injury had nothing to do with the knee they declared him unfit to play. It is the other knee.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking you should read the article. The injury had nothing to do with the knee they declared him unfit to play. It is the other knee.

Well he's now going to have surgery on both knees, and has now had a serious knee injury in three of the past 4 seasons. Looks like the OSU docs were right so far.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much more likely is it that a person who tears one ACL will tear the other?
How much more likely is it that a person who tears a meniscus will tear it again or tear the meniscus in the other knee? Maybe the kid has some structural problem in his knees which predisposes him to injury. Maybe the OSU doctors weren't so damned stupid after all.

I hope if he doesn't recover from this so that Dr. Andrews will "clear" him again that Auburn at least has the decency to offer him a medical hardship.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he's now going to have surgery on both knees, and has now had a serious knee injury in three of the past 4 seasons. Looks like the OSU docs were right so far.

If it were the knee they diagnosed as being unable to continue playing football -- I'd be agreeing with you and eating crow.

It was his other knee. If university doctor's were declaring players ineligible to play based on the possibility of injuring a healthy knee, because they injured the other one -- we'd be reading about recruits being declared ineligible to play dozens of times a year, as knee injuries are quite common now.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were the knee they diagnosed as being unable to continue playing football -- I'd be agreeing with you and eating crow.

It was his other knee. If university doctor's were declaring players ineligible to play based on the possibility of injuring a healthy knee, because they injured the other one -- we'd be reading about recruits being declared ineligible to play dozens of times a year, as knee injuries are quite common now.

And here we sit with the kid missing another season because of injury.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much more likely is it that a person who tears one ACL will tear the other?
How much more likely is it that a person who tears a meniscus will tear it again or tear the meniscus in the other knee? Maybe the kid has some structural problem in his knees which predisposes him to injury. Maybe the OSU doctors weren't so damned stupid after all.

I hope if he doesn't recover from this so that Dr. Andrews will "clear" him again that Auburn at least has the decency to offer him a medical hardship.

I have no idea? I went to school for finance and accounting, so medical research is far from my area of expertise. If I had to guess -- I'd say it was more likely to happen if it happened once already? It'd just be a guess though.

The structural problem -- the #1 sports doctor in the world cleared him of any structural issues -- he said he needed to strengthen his quad muscles was his only issue.

Personally, I don't even care OSU did that to him -- The B1G needs to handle their recruiting and roster more like the SEC if they want to compete on a year to year basis with them. To me, it is no different than Harbaugh handing out medical hardships to multiple bench warmers since he took over at UM.