• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P5 and G5 QB rankings - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bedlam signal-callers rule McElroy's QB rankings

Power 5 QB rankings

1. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma (Previous rank: 1)
Since the start of Big 12 play, the Sooners have looked average, at best. Defensively for the Sooners, it appears to be the same story, just a different day. Mayfield has risen to the challenge and has led his team to some high-scoring wins. Oklahoma allowed 31 points per game in October -- good for 96th in the FBS. If not for the spectacular play of their QB, there's no telling where the Sooners might be. With so many great games coming up on their schedule, I can't wait to see what Big Game Baker has up his sleeve in November. Get your popcorn ready.
2. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State (Previous rank: 4)
Rudolph has been rock solid all season long, but I'd be lying if I said October was smooth sailing. The Cowboys had ugly offensive performances against WVU and Texas. However, in the midst of adversity, the Cowboys seem to have found a bit of an identity on defense. All that being said, Rudolph remains the key to a special season in Stillwater. If he catches fire, the Cowboys might not lose another game in the regular season. The best QB matchup of the season is just a couple days away, and the debate for the top spot could potentially be settled this weekend when the Pokes welcome the Sooners to T. Boone Pickens Stadium.
3. J.T. Barrett, Ohio State (Previous rank: NR)
Finally. Prior to the Penn State game, Barrett wouldn't have made the top 10. Yes, his numbers warranted inclusion, but the passing game looked just like it did toward the end of the 2016 season -- sideline-to-sideline, underneath throws with minimal risk downfield. That changed against the Nittany Lions. He was aggressive and precise, adding to what was a ridiculous run in October, completing 78 percent with 12 TDs and no interceptions. I think most people with a QB pedigree, myself included, have been tough on Barrett ("he's a system QB," "he hasn't improved since '14," "he was a deer in the headlights against Oklahoma"), and that criticism was fair. But, after being around Barrett over the last few years and getting to see what kind of person he is, I've never been more happy to be proven wrong in my life. Hello, Heisman? (Keith Jackson voice) We will see.
4. Khalil Tate, Arizona (Previous rank: NR)
Where did this guy come from?! When I did my rankings in September, he was a backup, the Wildcats were 2-2 and Rich Rodriguez was a dead man walking. Fast forward to the end of October, the Wildcats are 6-2 and Tate is being mentioned in the Heisman Trophy race. He lapped the field in October by compiling a Total QBR of 99.1 (5.7 points higher than No. 2 J.T. Barrett). His 840 rushing yards in October were 115 more than anyone else in the FBS. He has had four rushes that have gained more than 70 yards. He's a human highlight reel and the college football world needs to take notice.
5. Lamar Jackson, Louisville (Previous rank: 2)
Jackson continues to be worth the price of admission. He leads the FBS in total offense with 3,837 yards. That total is more than 900 yards more than the second player on the list (Mason Rudolph). Louisville went 1-3 in October, and he certainly didn't have his best stuff at times (see Boston College game), but he remains so dangerous and difficult to defend. He just hasn't been able to overcome all the holes around him. It's difficult to hold him solely responsible, but he definitely needs to elevate his play in the final month to remain in the top five.
6. Josh Rosen, UCLA (Previous rank: 3)
Even though he left with a finger injury last week, Rosen remains the only reason to watch UCLA football this season. After starting the season red hot, October was a mixed bag for his team. He had a nice performance against Oregon, but bookended that outing by looking rough against Arizona and Washington. He's a very difficult player to rank right now because of the inconsistencies. Should Rosen be held entirely accountable for the roller-coaster season his team has been on? I don't think so, but there is certainly room for improvement within his game. One thing is for sure, he remains the most talented passer in college football and a virtual lock to be the first QB off the board come April's NFL draft.
7. Will Grier, West Virginia (Previous rank: 7)
He was poised to crack the top three prior to his game against Oklahoma State, but the four-interception performance was tough to watch. He still leads the FBS with 28 touchdowns, but his gunslinger mentality came back to bite him in the bad weather last week. Grier is all about high risk, high reward and isn't afraid to roll the dice. He has attempted 79 passes that have traveled over 20 yards, which is 24 more attempts than the player with the second most in the FBS (Sam Darnold). I love his confidence and moxie, but he has room to grow to become a more complete and situationally aware player.
8. Ryan Finley, NC State (Previous rank: NR)
He's human! Well, sort of. Finley threw his first interception since Nov. 19, 2016, on Saturday ending a streak of 339 attempts. However, it looked like Notre Dame was offside and Finley was rolling out thinking he had a free play. Unfortunately for him, all the Golden Domers got out of the neutral zone before the ball was snapped. The ball was underthrown, picked and immediately returned to the house for a back-breaking pick-six. OK, time to move on. Finley has been a star this year. He's likely the most underappreciated QB on this list from a national perspective. I even had a head coach in the ACC tell me that he's the best QB in the league. NC State is having its best season in years and could lock up the ACC Atlantic this weekend with a win against Clemson, and Finley is a big reason why.
9. Josh Jackson, Virginia Tech (Previous rank: 8)
Jackson continues to be a star in the making. His efficiency and accuracy have dipped slightly the past couple weeks against Duke and North Carolina. He has turned in two of his worst passing performances of his young career in consecutive weeks, but when you look at the entire body of work, he is still a top-10 QB. He has completed 47 percent of his passes that travel 20 yards or more downfield (fourth in Power 5). He has completed 47 percent of his passes that travel 20 yards or more downfield (4th in Power 5). That number dropped considerably in October, when he completed just 3-of-12 on such throws. His biggest test might come Saturday when he faces an undefeated Miami team with the ACC Coastal Division title on the line.
10. Trace McSorley, Penn State (Previous rank: 10)
McSorley is the ultimate grinder and a guy I'd love to have on my team. With Saquon Barkley held mostly in check against Ohio State, it was McSorley who gave the Nittany Lions' offense a boost. Yeah, the stat sheet was relatively modest, but I thought he was lights out against the Buckeyes. He did a great job maneuvering in the pocket for timely scrambles and bought some time for receivers to uncover when he escaped. He might get a little overshadowed in his own backfield, but he's a stud. Time to give him his due.
11. Jake Fromm, Georgia (Previous rank: NR)
I love Fromm. His poise, maturity and confidence are difficult to wrap your head around. He's doing things as a true freshman that you don't always see from NFL QBs. His maturity can best be summed up in a single play. Go watch UGA's third offensive snap against Florida: third-and-2, Florida overloads the protection to Fromm's right and he calmly delivers the ball accurately to his hot route. D'Andre Swift promptly turns upfield and gains 40. It's rare to see a young man with such an incredible grasp of the position and the offense. His stats aren't big because they don't need to be. If they needed to be, I guarantee he could and would deliver. If you absolutely have to have a stat to justify this ranking, then you'll see he's fourth in the Power 5 in passer efficiency behind Baker Mayfield, J.T. Barrett and Mason Rudolph. He's 19 and he's playing championship-caliber football. It might not be sexy, but it's very effective.
12. Sam Darnold, USC (Previous rank: 5)
Through the first eight games, he has looked nothing like the 2016 version of himself. He has been a walking turnover with 10 interceptions, and he has lost seven fumbles. He was undoubtedly the best QB in college football coming into the season, but he was poised to drop out of the rankings prior to returning to form against a suddenly good Arizona State defense. His first TD against the Devils was a thing a beauty. A perfectly placed go ball down the left between two defenders into the waiting hands of Deontay Burnett. Those are the throws that we should see multiple times a game, every week. He's capable; it's just a matter of execution. I'm rolling the dice with this ranking by basing it entirely on upside and where I expect Darnold to be in the coming weeks. His best football is on the horizon.

Others receiving consideration (alphabetical order): Jake Browning, Washington; Kelly Bryant, Clemson; Luke Falk, Washington State; Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State; Jalen Hurts, Alabama; Malik Rosier, Miami; Jarrett Stidham, Auburn; John Wolford, Wake Forest

Omissions due to injury: Deondre Francois, Florida State; Justin Herbert, Oregon; Shea Patterson, Ole Miss

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Group of 5 QB Ranking

1. McKenzie Milton, UCF
He might not be the first guy you want to come off the bus, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At only 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, Milton might not be the most physically impressive guy on the field for the Knights, but he's a baller. He gets the ball out quick and has great command of UCF's offense. Watch his game against Cincinnati and see the command that he throws it with. He threw five TD passes in that one, each one more spectacular than the last. The final TD was ridiculous. He rolled left, flipped his hips and threw a perfect ball to Tre'Quan Smith in the back left corner of the end zone. I love this kid.
2. Logan Woodside, Toledo
Don't look now, but Toledo is 7-1 with its only blemish against an undefeated Miami. If you dig into that game, you'll see that the Hurricanes were scrambling to find answers on defense with fewer than eight minutes remaining in the game when their lead was cut to 38-30. Woodside has been outstanding this year. He constantly displays poise, accuracy and makes every single player on the Rockets' offense better. He has been slightly off in two of the past three weeks, but throughout the total season he has been money. Toledo has an extremely difficult November with games against Northern Illinois (6-2), Ohio (6-2) and Western Michigan (5-3), but their QB is up to the task.
3. Nick Stevens, Colorado State
Since Sept. 30, he has been on a tear, throwing 12 touchdowns against zero interceptions. But his best performance relative to the competition might've been against Alabama. He posted a 73.2 QBR against the Crimson Tide's vaunted defense (the best QBR against Alabama this year). By comparison, Deondre Francois of FSU posed a 17.7 QBR. He does a great job maneuvering in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield. Perhaps his most impressive stat is the way he avoids sacks. He has been sacked only three times on 287 attempts, which is the best rate in the FBS.
4. Dalton Sturm, UTSA
I would bet that 95 percent of the people reading this article have never seen Dalton Sturm play football. Well, you're missing out. Sturm has been lighting people up this season and has improved as much as anyone. He has a tremendous feel for the Roadrunners' offense and is extremely accurate on the short and intermediate throws. He made a couple big-time throws against Baylor that left me speechless. Come draft time, I wouldn't be surprised to hear his name called somewhere around the fifth round.
5. Marcus McMaryion, Fresno State
Although he didn't start the season as the Bulldogs' starter, the graduate transfer from Oregon State has really settled into the position the past few weeks. He does a good job of anticipating throws before receivers get out of their break and has been very sound with his decision-making. His performance against San Diego State was exactly what you come to expect from him: Make some timely throws downfield to create some explosive plays and don't put your team in a difficult spot with any bad decisions. The best is yet to come with this young man.

Best of the rest: Riley Ferguson, Memphis; Quinton Flowers, USF; Justice Hansen, Arkansas St.; Ben Hicks, SMU; Nathan Rourke, Ohio

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn Wimbush can't even get one single vote? I get he can't throw, but he's a big value to our running success simply because of the threat of him running.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised Fromm made the list. He's done a fine job when asked to pass, and has a pretty deep ball, but given how much UGA's offense is run oriented, didn't think he'd have accumulated enough numbers to make it.

But, Fromm>>>Darnold. I like it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at Fromm being on here. He's gone over 165 yards passing twice. That is a running team and he's been an adequate game manager, and that's it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised Fromm made the list. He's done a fine job when asked to pass, and has a pretty deep ball, but given how much UGA's offense is run oriented, didn't think he'd have accumulated enough numbers to make it.

But, Fromm>>>Darnold. I like it.

Darnolds bank account in the near future> Fromms check from Home depot

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnolds bank account in the near future> Fromms check from Home depot
As of right now, there's a real chance Fromm winds up with a higher draft spot than Darnold when he's eligible.

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For whatever reason I just see Darnold as Jake Locker. I expect the same career arch: Anointed QB GOD! to Gawd this god sucks. But he could be God. Wait for the NFL! 1st Round $$$$. Told you he is going to be god! God dammit, gawd I told you he sucks.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance
Very good chance. Darnold isn't the odds on #1, and a lot of scouts don't even have him as the best QB in Los Angeles right now, and for good reason. He's got bust written all over him.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at Fromm being on here. He's gone over 165 yards passing twice. That is a running team and he's been an adequate game manager, and that's it.

I would agree, it'll be interesting to see what happens when he has to shoulder a little more of the load. And we probably won't find that out until the SECCG.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree, it'll be interesting to see what happens when he has to shoulder a little more of the load. And we probably won't find that out until the SECCG.
I don't think we'll see him peak until 2019. He has all the makeup of a stud QB, to be fair, but he's not even close to being there yet.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we'll see him peak until 2019. He has all the makeup of a stud QB, to be fair, but he's not even close to being there yet.
Doesn’t Georgia still have Eason? He was like a 5 star top ranked pocket passer coming out of HS.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Don't get me wrong, he's given nobody anything to complain about when asked to pass, but his main job is to hand it off to the 5 headed monster at RB and don't do anything to cost the team when asked to pass. Don't think he's missed on a deep ball yet this season, but almost all of them have came when teams are loading up to stop the run.

Kid has real potential though to be as poised and knowledgeable about reading defenses as he is as a true freshman. Eason never had the authority to change a call at the line last season. Fromm does it numerous times every game.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good chance. Darnold isn't the odds on #1, and a lot of scouts don't even have him as the best QB in Los Angeles right now, and for good reason. He's got bust written all over him.

Rosen could be taken before darnold. true. I wasn't saying he's the #1 QB taken. They are two different QBs. Rosen is pure pocket passer and wont get away from pressure Darnold is more Aaron Dodgers that can avoid and get out and throw. Just depends on what the NFL team wants. Darnolds no bust. He's been asked to mask a lot of other issues. When people do their job just adequately he shines. He can avoid pressure all he wants but if receivers arn't open or dropping passes there's not much he can do. And yeah he's made a ton of mistakes but NFL teams would rather have him than someone that doesnt have that upside.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn’t Georgia still have Eason? He was like a 5 star top ranked pocket passer coming out of HS.

He's the backup. Lost his job to a true freshman. Eason has potential too, but even with a season of experience over Fromm, Fromm is still ahead of him when it comes to reading defenses, making good decisions with the ball and accuracy.

Plus Eason is a statue back there. While Fromm is a pocket passer, he can make plays with his legs when needed.

But with the top ranked QB recruit in the country coming to UGA next season, I could easily see Eason transferring, and it would be hard to blame him.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since all 4 of Tate’s games have been on shitty Pac 12 Networks here’s some highlights.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Don't get me wrong, he's given nobody anything to complain about when asked to pass, but his main job is to hand it off to the 5 headed monster at RB and don't do anything to cost the team when asked to pass. Don't think he's missed on a deep ball yet this season, but almost all of them have came when teams are loading up to stop the run.

Kid has real potential though to be as poised and knowledgeable about reading defenses as he is as a true freshman. Eason never had the authority to change a call at the line last season. Fromm does it numerous times every game.
I absolutely think he has potential, don't get me wrong. However, when you're talking about the top QBs right now, his performance hasn't backed it up. I could see him being a top pick honestly, when he's able, but he's still just managing right now instead of making big plays.