• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan bit with the Alabama and OSU career ending injury bug

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So was there any interesting discussion in this thread was it all trash talk?

Is the medical retirement a way to allow a player, who was likely to get cut from the team, to stay in college? If so, then I think it is pretty cool that teams do that. I honestly don't know.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to show me where I said Harbaugh is a top 5 coach of all time? I said I think he is a top 5 coach RIGHT NOW. Slight difference between all-time and right now.

What has JH accomplished to even be mentioned as a top CFB coach right now? And don't run & hide again. If you really think he's a top 5 CFB coach right now you'll find your backbone & finally answer this question.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 huh? Which coaches would you put ahead of him?
Saban (when he is in the SEC) , Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio (for being able to do what Saban couldn't at MSU) and the last could be one of a few guys -- art briles for bringing Baylor from mediocrity to a national power. Bill Snyder -- another guy that does more with less. Gary Patterson for the same reasons from above.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has JH accomplished to even be mentioned as a top CFB coach right now? And don't run & hide again. If you really think he's a top 5 CFB coach right now you'll find your backbone & finally answer this question.
How many times do I have to repeat myself? He took over a Stanford team that was ranked 118th on offense and 109th on defense and in 4 years they finished #4 in the country and won a BCS Bowl.
He took a SD team that had never been ranked and had never won a conference title and in 3 years, he finished with back to back titles and the QB he groomed is still the only player from the school in the NFL.
He went to SF and took over a team that hadn't had a winning season in almost a decade. Took them to 3 straight NFL championships and a SB appearance.
Took over a Michigan team that went from 11 to 9 to 6 to 5 wins and won 10 games, when NO ONE, not even the most die hard UM fans thought they could win 10 games.

Now answer me this. How many years has he coached at an established program?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So was there any interesting discussion in this thread was it all trash talk?

Is the medical retirement a way to allow a player, who was likely to get cut from the team, to stay in college? If so, then I think it is pretty cool that teams do that. I honestly don't know.
These coaches don't "cut" players. If they started doing that -- it will hurt their recruiting. The medical hardship is a nice way to open a roster spot and let the kid with no chance to play at the next level finish their degree.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times do I have to repeat myself? He took over a Stanford team that was ranked 118th on offense and 109th on defense and in 4 years they finished #4 in the country and won a BCS Bowl.
He took a SD team that had never been ranked and had never won a conference title and in 3 years, he finished with back to back titles and the QB he groomed is still the only player from the school in the NFL.
He went to SF and took over a team that hadn't had a winning season in almost a decade. Took them to 3 straight NFL championships and a SB appearance.
Took over a Michigan team that went from 11 to 9 to 6 to 5 wins and won 10 games, when NO ONE, not even the most die hard UM fans thought they could win 10 games.

You really don't get the fact that JH hasn't won anything yet. Now name just ONE coach in CFB that has been called a great HC w/o winning anything @ all. And for the last time stop falling back on what he did in the NFL. Because the NFL & CFB aren't the same. I know you think they are, but they're not. It's you against everyone else yet in your twisted mind you're right & everyone else is wrong for pointing out the fact he's won nothing. And the amount of years spent in CFB as a HC is the exact reason he's not an elite coach @ this time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just curious but who are your Top 5 coaches in the country right now? Where would you put Jim Harbaugh on the list?

I have no opinion really. Certainly by accomplishment, it would be hard to argue that he is a Top 5 coach. OTOH, he has all of one year under his belt and a traditional football powerhouse school*. So certainly based on resume, it would be hard to argue that he is a top flight coach. However, I would imagine that there aren't many coaches that would be more sought after than JH in an open market.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jimmy Jam is entering his 6th year as HC @ a major program. In those 5 years he's yet to win a conference crown & has 1 big time bowl W. Now you're the 1 that mentioned an established program, here's what Urban Meyer did his 1st five years @ The Swamp...three 13 W season, conference crowns, 2 Natty's & 3 big time bowl W's. And in '04 he took a mid-major (Utah) to an undefeated season & a Fiesta Bowl W.

Do you even see the difference here?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really don't get the fact that JH hasn't won anything yet. Now name just ONE coach in CFB that has been called a great HC w/o winning anything @ all. And for the last time stop falling back on what he did in the NFL. Because the NFL & CFB aren't the same. I know you think they are, but they're not. It's you against everyone else yet in your twisted mind you're right & everyone else is wrong for pointing out the fact he's won nothing. And the amount of years spent in CFB as a HC is the exact reason he's not an elite coach @ this time.
I love how you want to act like the NFL didn't happen. It'd be like telling Floyd Mayweather he wouldn't win anything in golden gloves, because his pro fights mean nothing. (And NO I'm not calling Harbaugh, Floyd Mayweather. Just using an example of amateur and professional)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Jam is entering his 6th year as HC @ a major program. In those 5 years he's yet to win a conference crown & has 1 big time bowl W. Now you're the 1 that mentioned an established program, here's what Urban Meyer did his 1st five years @ The Swamp...three 13 W season, conference crowns, 2 Natty's & 3 big time bowl W's. And in '04 he took a mid-major (Utah) to an undefeated season & a Fiesta Bowl W.

Do you even see the difference here?
Yeah. You called Stanford, who was 1-11 and not just one of the worst teams in the PAC, but one of the worst teams in the NCAA, an established program.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious but who are your Top 5 coaches in the country right now? Where would you put Jim Harbaugh on the list?

I have no opinion really. Certainly by accomplishment, it would be hard to argue that he is a Top 5 coach. OTOH, he has all of one year under his belt and a traditional football powerhouse school*. So certainly based on resume, it would be hard to argue that he is a top flight coach. However, I would imagine that there aren't many coaches that would be more sought after than JH in an open market.
I'd be happy to jump in. If we're talking last 10 years, currently active (to capture Harbaugh's time at Stanford) -

1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer

(large gap)

3. Bob Stoops
4. Jimbo Fisher
5. Les Miles

Going further:

6. Mark Dantonio
7. Chris Petersen
8. Dabo Swinney
9. Gary Patterson
10. Jim Harbaugh

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nick Saban (5 Natty's), Urban Meyer (3 Natty's), Bob Stoops (1 Natty), Les Miles (1 Natty). After those 4 here are a few more current HC's that I think are damn good HC's (and have accomplished more than Harbaugh as of right now)...Brian Kelly (national title appearance), Jimbo Fisher (1 Natty), Gary Patterson (turned a mid-major into a damn good program), Mark Helfrich (national title appearance).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how you want to act like the NFL didn't happen. It'd be like telling Floyd Mayweather he wouldn't win anything in golden gloves, because his pro fights mean nothing. (And NO I'm not calling Harbaugh, Floyd Mayweather. Just using an example of amateur and professional)

For the last time...the NFL is not CFB. You just will never understand that fact.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. You called Stanford, who was 1-11 and not just one of the worst teams in the PAC, but one of the worst teams in the NCAA, an established program.

Wait a minute...what the hell has been meeeechegan been before last year? Aside from a dumpster fire a very shitty program. FYI: both Stanford & meeeechegan play in a P5 conference.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you don't. And the fact you think LSU was still a top school is enough for me to think you are a clueless dumb fuck, who has no hope. Therefore, I'm done dealing with your stupid ass.
Darn. Check out that Google I told you about. It will be big. I promise.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban (5 Natty's), Urban Meyer (3 Natty's), Bob Stoops (1 Natty), Les Miles (1 Natty). After those 4 here are a few more current HC's that I think are damn good HC's (and have accomplished more than Harbaugh as of right now)...Brian Kelly (national title appearance), Jimbo Fisher (1 Natty), Gary Patterson (turned a mid-major into a damn good program), Mark Helfrich (national title appearance).

Hmmm ok. Helfrich seems to be a bit of a stretch but sure.

So to be clear, if you were the AD of some random major football program and you had the pick of the litter of all these coaches, you would take them all before you would take Jim Harbaugh?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute...what the hell has been meeeechegan been before last year? Aside from a dumpster fire a very shitty program. FYI: both Stanford & meeeechegan play in a P5 conference.
I agree. He has never taken over a program that has been any good. He is always rebuilding.

And I agree UM isn't an established program. They have been a disaster for the better part of a decade.

And if UM is a dumpster fire -- I'm not sure what you would call Stanford. They were about as low as you can go.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So to be clear, if you were the AD of some random major football program and you had the pick of the litter of all these coaches, you would take them all before you would take Jim Harbaugh?
He is an OSU fan. They wouldn't give a Michigan coach a glass of water if they were dying of thirst.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair, that's not the topic. Right now, if you gave me the choice of Tom Herman or Gary Patterson, I'm taking Herman. He's not nearly as proven, but the potential is there. The potential is there with Harbaugh, but that's just what it is - potential. He hasn't earned the right to be mentioned among the elite tier.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hold on. Are you really saying that Stanford and Michigan are essentially equals in terms of football?

Stanford had all of 2 9+ win seasons in the previous 30 before Harbaugh took control.

I get you are an OSU fan, but that is a pretty bold claim. Indiana is a P5 school as well. Does that mean that they are pretty much no different than Michigan as well?