• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Jordan: Tell me why YOU think he is the best ever

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Jordan is the GOAT!!! Pretty commonly held belief. Consensus is wayyy more on this opinion than almost any other sports Greatest of All Times. Why is that?? Jordan really holds no records. He is not the all time leader in ANY of the sports major categories ( scoring, rebounding, assists, blocks, steals ). He doesnt own the most titles. He is not the best shooter ever, hell he really wasnt even a GOOD shooter until later in his career. Yet if you went outside today and asked 100 people who the best basketball player EVER was probably 90+ of them would tell you MJ. This all has gotten me to thinking that in aan age where we argue about EVERYTHING sports related why have we seemingly come to a consensus on this "fact"?? There are a few trains of thought. First and clearly the most obvious is that Jordan had perfect timing. He came in to the league at the absolute right time. The sport was taking off in popularity due to Magic/Bird/Dr J etc and Jordan capitalized on this like no one else in history. He was a great marketer of himself and his own product. He fit the highlight reel obsessed time that was the 80's and 90's when nearly everyone got their sports knowledge from 1 minute clips they saw on Sportscenter. The second train of thought is that Jordan was clutch. He hit the big sjots, he was unfazed by the moment and all of us admire that and would hope we would respond likewise in that moment. We all know the image of Jordan hitting the shot over Craig Ehlo or Driving the basket and making that unbelievable layup against the Lakers during his first title run and even when his highlight dunks faded he still hit the big shots like his game winner over Bryon Russell in the 98 Finals to secure his 6th and final title. All of these are engrained in our memory banks and play a HUGE part in why MJ is considered the greatest. That begs the question of would any of us have these memories or feelings if we hadnt seen those highlights, saw those games, watched those moments as they occured?? Of course not. Is it unfair to judge Jordan on a scale that very few others before him had the chance to take advantage of?? Hell until the late 70's NBA finals games were not even on live TV. Only after the epic 1979 Magic/Bird college title showdown did interest in the NBA really take off. If that hadnt happened and we didnt get to see all those monets we treausre so much would we still consider MJ the GOAT?? Im not so sure... Anyway tell me why YOU think MJ is the best ever and lets see why this consensus has been reached so readily when so many other sports are still having the debate.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was his overall skills...ball handling, movement, reading the D, shooting, all clutch. With the last shot....there is no man on the planet I would have rathered had the ball then Michael Jordon.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What separated Jordan from the pack was his ruthless competitiveness and unmatched drive to dominate anything that stood in his way. There have been more naturally-talented and better all-around players in the history of the league, but none of them have had the awe-inspiring relentlessness of Jordan.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was his overall skills...ball handling, movement, reading the D, shooting, all clutch. With the last shot....there is no man on the planet I would have rathered had the ball then Michael Jordon.

There was a Pat Riley quote that went something like this. "With a game on the line I would want Larry Bird to take the last shot. With my life on the line, Michael Jordan."

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What separated Jordan from the pack was his ruthless competitiveness and unmatched drive to dominate anything that stood in his way. There have been more naturally-talented and better all-around players in the history of the league, but none of them have had the awe-inspiring relentlessness of Jordan.

Please explain "more naturally talented."

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jordan is the best ever.

I've said before, there's 4 or 5 guys that could all make a righteous claim to being the greatest of all time.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Eaton, the great white oaf. GOAT!

Screen-shot-2010-09-23-at-12.00.29-PM.png
No one beats this guy!

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he carried all those teams (without Pippen and Phil Jackson) to NBA titles from 1984-1988.

And then he did it again by carrying the Wizards to deep playoff glory in 2001-2003

Those were two impressive runs that showcased how singularly great he was as a player.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll keep it simple.

Best two way (OFC & DEF) basketball player to play the game.

Probably the most clutch NBA player ever in the big games...imo the only people in sports period to be on par with him...team sport Gretzky and individual sport Tiger.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never has one person's "style" influenced the game more.

He may as well have invented "today's" game.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please explain "more naturally talented."

Example: LeBron is more naturally talented than Jordan. LeBron was identified as an early teen as being an elite talent and potential NBA star. Jordan was cut by his high school basketball team.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
combination of want, skill, fundamentals, and big moments