• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Micah Parsons

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is he has not earned it as of yet. He gets one more chance to do so. He is certainly in that grey area right now.
The price really isn't going up much lately and relative to the overall cap it is going down. Burrow singed for $55M in 2023 and no one this year has signed for more than that. If Dak signed today it would be the same $55M that it would have been in March. If he signs next March with the Cowboys I suspect it will be for right around that amount. Perhaps a couple million more early next offseason, but that would be the same amount from a relative perspective as far as his salary as a % of the total Cap. The insurance of waiting is well worth that. What if he has a career ending injury this season?
J, I can pull up from before the Lawrence signing a quote you had that the sweet spot to sign him would be $52-53M. Now you say $55M, but even at that, I will say you were totally right on the contract if he signs it because I believe it will take $56-58 at least to sign him now. If he makes it till March, there is zero chance the number is less than $60M. Dak has ALL the leverage. If he makes it to UFA, the Cowboys will be bidding against 4-5 other teams and the offer will skyrocket. Dak and his agent know this. If it were a matter of just giving him $55M, I think deal would have been done a month ago. I don't believe the Cowboys are asking Dak to take less than Trevor Lawrence. They are offering market and he is saying....more.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J, I can pull up from before the Lawrence signing a quote you had that the sweet spot to sign him would be $52-53M. Now you say $55M, but even at that, I will say you were totally right on the contract if he signs it because I believe it will take $56-58 at least to sign him now. If he makes it till March, there is zero chance the number is less than $60M. Dak has ALL the leverage. If he makes it to UFA, the Cowboys will be bidding against 4-5 other teams and the offer will skyrocket. Dak and his agent know this. If it were a matter of just giving him $55M, I think deal would have been done a month ago. I don't believe the Cowboys are asking Dak to take less than Trevor Lawrence. They are offering market and he is saying....more.
I don't know what numbers they are kicking around. It was 52-53 and now with additional guys signed it's 55. It goes up slowly, not quickly (like 1 million each time a guy signs). The point is It won't be $60M unless he hits free agency or makes at a minimum an NFC Championship game and it sure as hell won't be the $65M some have said and if he does hit FA I suspect he signs with another team.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what numbers they are kicking around. It was 52-53 and now with additional guys signed it's 55. It goes up slowly, not quickly (like 1 million each time a guy signs). The point is It won't be $60M unless he hits free agency or makes at a minimum an NFC Championship game and it sure as hell won't be the $65M some have said and if he does hit FA I suspect he signs with another team.
That's right, it was 52-53, went to 55 and its going up. EXCEPT, Dak is a unique situation. The other guys in question had either years Left on their deal, or the club had the ability to Franchise Tag them. Or trade them. Dallas has none of that. Dallas also doesn't have a QB in waiting, as Green Bay had in Jordan Love when Rodgers left, or a high first round pick to take a QB like the Vikings had when they parted ways with Cousins. Dak knows he has Jerry by the junk and he proved with his first deal he knew how to maximize his money. If he signs now it'll be 57-58, it sure as Heck won't be 55

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys were at $33M. Came up $1M per year to get it done

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right, it was 52-53, went to 55 and its going up. EXCEPT, Dak is a unique situation. The other guys in question had either years Left on their deal, or the club had the ability to Franchise Tag them. Or trade them. Dallas has none of that. Dallas also doesn't have a QB in waiting, as Green Bay had in Jordan Love when Rodgers left, or a high first round pick to take a QB like the Vikings had when they parted ways with Cousins. Dak knows he has Jerry by the junk and he proved with his first deal he knew how to maximize his money. If he signs now it'll be 57-58, it sure as Heck won't be 55
They are kind of stuck paying Dak. I expect them to sign Dak before the season is over. Like you say they don't appear to have a QB in waiting.

This team also never does a complete rebuild. Signing Dak and overpaying him is the likely outcome.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Dak I think the right way to play it is, let him play out his contact, and Non Exclusive Tag him next year. Dallas either matches the contract or the they gain two first round picks.

I'm a Dak fan but for the price I'd take the picks.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Dak I think the right way to play it is, let him play out his contact, and Non Exclusive Tag him next year. Dallas either matches the contract or the they gain two first round picks.

I'm a Dak fan but for the price I'd take the picks.
Nevermind Dak has a no tag Clause

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a team I'd never give away the Non-Exclusive Tag.
Yeah, that's why I never again want to hear about how great a negotiator Jerry Jones from anyone. Dak and his agent literally took Jerry and Stephen to the woodshed last time. All the money they wanted, all the guaranteed money, the 4 year deal instead of 5-6, no franchise tag and a no trade clause. I just hope Dak kissed him at the end so Jerry can say they were just making love

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's why I never again want to hear about how great a negotiator Jerry Jones from anyone. Dak and his agent literally took Jerry and Stephen to the woodshed last time. All the money they wanted, all the guaranteed money, the 4 year deal instead of 5-6, no franchise tag and a no trade clause. I just hope Dak kissed him at the end so Jerry can say they were just making love
Tossing away the Exclusive Tag is fine especially since I doubt I'd ever use it if I owned a team. The Non-Exclusive I'd use often. Let another teamnfo your work if you like the deal you keep the player, if not you gain the two 1st rd picks.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tossing away the Exclusive Tag is fine especially since I doubt I'd ever use it if I owned a team. The Non-Exclusive I'd use often. Let another teamnfo your work if you like the deal you keep the player, if not you gain the two 1st rd picks.
While I agree in principle, they really couldn't have used the tag even if they didn't negotiate it away. With the tag the dead money can't be spread out and neither can the salary for the tagged year. So it would be $40M (or whatever it is exactly) for the tag plus $40M in dead money. So if you tagged Dak his cap hit next year would be $80M. That's just not doable.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree in principle, they really couldn't have used the tag even if they didn't negotiate it away. With the tag the dead money can't be spread out and neither can the salary for the tagged year. So it would be $40M (or whatever it is exactly) for the tag plus $40M in dead money. So if you tagged Dak his cap hit next year would be $80M. That's just not doable.
Yeah but, and correct me if I'm wrong because I honestly don't know the answer to this. Dak has $35-40M in dead money next year, right? So let's say the Cowboys sign him to a 4 year, $240 million deal. He would really take up $275-280 in cap space over that period because of the dead money, right? Unless they carried more dead money onto an unsigned year when he would be 36

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but, and correct me if I'm wrong because I honestly don't know the answer to this. Dak has $35-40M in dead money next year, right? So let's say the Cowboys sign him to a 4 year, $240 million deal. He would really take up $275-280 in cap space over that period because of the dead money, right? Unless they carried more dead money onto an unsigned year when he would be 36
Yes dead money doesn't go away and needs to hit cap at some point, but if he signed a 4 year extension it would be spread out. If he were tagged it would all hit next year

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes dead money doesn't go away and needs to hit cap at some point, but if he signed a 4 year extension it would be spread out. If he were tagged it would all hit next year
That's another point to consider to me. Not saying what the right thing to do is, but 4 years at $60M would mean he would average $70M a year in cap space, or 60 something and a massive dead hit the following year.
I'll say this to those on here who want to sign Dak again...another 3 or 4 year deal would kill us, cap wise. If I were the Cowboys, I would offer Dak a 6 year deal averaging $56M, that gave them flexibility to spread the money out. If he said no to that, I would tell him to tote sack and prepare to bite the bullet next season

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's another point to consider to me. Not saying what the right thing to do is, but 4 years at $60M would mean he would average $70M a year in cap space, or 60 something and a massive dead hit the following year.
I'll say this to those on here who want to sign Dak again...another 3 or 4 year deal would kill us, cap wise. If I were the Cowboys, I would offer Dak a 6 year deal averaging $56M, that gave them flexibility to spread the money out. If he said no to that, I would tell him to tote sack and prepare to bite the bullet next season
UK...60 per is your number, I haven't seen anyone else say this.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK...60 per is your number, I haven't seen anyone else say this.
Yep. I could see $57-58 right now but I honestly think he won't sign anything under $60. But we'll see. I guarantee you it won't be $55

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...I hope you're wrong.
I could be. I'll be eating a lot of crow because ive said it all along. I simply don't believe he's gonna accept $55M. Dak and his agent played his first negotiation absolutely perfect. I don't believe he is gonna start getting all team friendly now.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feeling better now: During the return of Micah's podcast. He continues the Zim. praise.

"Don't give up on us, Cowboys Nation. It's going to be a great year. Mike Zimmer's here. He's going to be a great addition to this defense...he's one of the smartest guys I've ever been around. This guy just so articulate how he wants things done...I'm glad I've got this year to be with him. I hope he's here next year...this could be a really special year and I can't wait for you guys to witness this"

Yep...feeling pretty good about this relationship. Let's Go!