• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mia.Marlins @ NY Mets (9/28-30)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wright to be first man off Mets bench tonight.

MLB.com
9/28/18
4:09 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- David Wright will be the Mets' first pinch-hitter off the bench on Friday, when the Mets take on the Marlins at Citi Field. It will be Wright's first Major League appearance since May 2016.

Mets manager Mickey Callaway said Wright will pinch-hit for the pitcher as soon as it is warranted in Friday's game. He will then start on Saturday at third base, and likely take two at-bats before departing. Wright will not play on Sunday.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright grounds out in return, Mets lose to Marlins 8-1

NEW YORK -- As he crouched in the on-deck circle, David Wright felt more nervous than he had in his entire career.

After all that rehab work, all those months and years spent waiting for this moment, the New York Mets' captain finally made it back into a major league game Friday night.

"It was my first time on a baseball field that I can remember that I felt like I was going to throw up," Wright said. "My heart felt like it was beating through my chest."

He didn't waste any time taking a hack, though.

Wright swung at the only pitch he saw, grounding out in his first plate appearance for the Mets in nearly 2 1/2 years as New York lost 8-1 to the Miami Marlins.

Sidelined by neck, back and shoulder injuries since May 27, 2016, the 35-year-old Wright pinch-hit leading off the fifth inning and received a warm ovation from the Citi Field crowd. After a long and arduous comeback, his return to the diamond was over in a flash.

With fans on their feet, his wife and young daughters in attendance and teammates draped over the dugout railing, Wright immediately took a rip at a 96 mph fastball from Jose Urena.

The seven-time All-Star hit a bouncer to the left of third baseman Brian Anderson, who made a nifty pickup of a short hop and threw across the diamond to retire Wright. He captain gave a quick wave to the crowd and touched the bill of his helmet before returning to the dugout, where he high-fived and hugged teammates with a huge smile on his face.

"It really was amazing," Wright said. "I really felt butterflies that I've never felt before."

Wright is scheduled to start at third base Saturday night against the last-place Marlins in his goodbye game before a sellout crowd. Unable to overcome all the injuries, he said he expects this weekend to mark his final appearance in the big leagues.

"It's going to feel like the playoffs, so it'll be neat for David," Mets manager Mickey Callaway said. "It'll be kind of cool for our younger players that have probably never seen an electric atmosphere like they're going to see tomorrow because it's going to be wild and David deserves it, the fans deserve it, and it's going to be fun to watch."

Wright was on deck when the last out was made in the fourth, causing the crowd to boo loudly when the inning ended. He clutched his bat and paced the dugout for most of the next half-inning before bounding onto the field even before the Marlins took their positions with a 3-1 lead in the fifth.

"He looked like he was making his major league debut," Callaway said. "I think that he was excited, nervous -- so that was a really cool moment."

Once one of the top players in baseball, Wright was reinstated from the disabled list Tuesday but didn't play in New York's three-game series against NL East champion Atlanta this week. With the Braves trying to earn home-field advantage in the Division Series, the Mets did not want to compromise the integrity of the pennant race.

Wright made his major league debut for the Mets in 2004, three years after they drafted him 38th overall. He is the longest-tenured active player to spend his entire career with one team.

Wright homered in each of his last three games in 2016 before needing season-ending neck surgery, one of several medical procedures he has undergone since then.

"He looked like himself, really, the stance and the whole thing," Miami manager Don Mattingly said. "Really happy for him from the standpoint of working his way back. Takes a lot, tells you a lot about his character."

He is the franchise leader in hits, RBI, runs, doubles, total bases, extra-base hits and walks. His 242 home runs trail only Darryl Strawberry (252) on the Mets' career list. Wright also hit the first World Series home run at Citi Field, connecting in a Game 3 victory against Kansas City in 2015.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LGM.JPG

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets win their season finale 1-0.
Thor solid.

:suds:

Noah Syndergaard tosses shutout to end season

Marlins vs. Mets | 09/30/18

Marlins vs. Mets - Game Recap - September 30, 2018 - ESPN

Jeff Wilpon discusses GM search

LAST HURRAH

A day after David Wright's emotional goodbye at Citi Field, the Mets gave Jose Reyes another ceremonial start at shortstop. The 35-year-old Reyes, who batted .189 in a bench role this season, was lifted after grounding out leading off the bottom of the first. He hugged teammates in the dugout and received a warm ovation while coming out for a curtain call for the crowd of 28,346.

"I just thought he deserved to be on the field one more time," Callaway said.

Reyes, a four-time All-Star, doesn't expect to be back with the Mets next season and isn't sure about his major league future.

Wright didn't play but was given a few more ovations.

NEW KID IN TOWN
Jeff McNeil had two more hits to give him 36 in September, breaking the club record for rookies set by Gregg Jefferies in 1989.

LOST ART
Noah Syndergaard's complete-game shutout was only the 19th in the majors this year, which is the fewest in a season since 1874, when there were just eight teams. There were 27 such outings last season.

The previous Mets pitcher with a complete-game shutout was Jacob deGrom on July 17, 2016.