• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Message Board Braggin' Rights League

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more consistent in my hatred.

As far as hatreds go, I despise certain players more so than entire teams. For example, like you, I never really liked the Cowboys, but I always thought that Emmit and Aikman were class acts, so that made the Cowboys tolerable.

Couldn't stand Claude Lemieux. But I liked the Devils and Avs that he played for.

Now I just hate everyone that Foot loves. Tannehill, Spiller, CJ.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only inconsistencies in my love/hate in sports comes down to forced childhood. My older brother is a Habs fan, so growing up, I liked Russ Courtnall and Stephan Richer, but as I aged and watched more hockey, Cam Neely blew me away and I've been a Bruins fan since...even named my daughter after Wam-Bam Cam. (I was just throwing out names and when I said Neely, the wife loved it and who are we kidding, what da wife says, goes!)

As much as I hate the Cowboys and Patriots, it's probably only because they've been my two bullies, from getting trounced in back-to-back SB's and a man named Brady, it's been a horrible 20 years! ... but I don't "dislike" Brady, go figure... I do, however, despise Michael Irvin, but that's more for his NFL Network experience.

Much like the Habs/Bruins switch when I was 11, my preteen baseball watching was all Blue Jays and Expos. Being really young, I loved Gary Carter and Tim Raines, but fell in love with Roberto Alomar pretty quickly in the Jays back-to-back WS wins, but I always had something attracting me to the Reds. Barry Larkin was a big part of it, but I think it's more of the history of the Big Red Machine and Johnny Bench... throw in Pete Rose too. Don't ask me how I became a Reds fan during the strike year, but that's what happened, and I haven't looked back. There's not much "hate" in baseball for me, except it's fun to hate the Yankees, but I don't really, Derek Jeter might be the best baseball player this 35 year old has ever seen.

ah shit, did I ever rant there... as far as the IR spot, I'm all for it, flex would be best with the TE option as well, since the position is turning into freak-bots...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living far from a major-league city doesn't help any.

I live in Cape Breton. That is in Nova Scotia, Canada. Toronto is the closest city for me. I've been to a handful of Bills games (in Buffalo...hate the Ted Rogers bs) and I hope to go to Fenway and some Bruins games someday, but "far" is an understatement.

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Doug, sorry to hear what's been going on with the Browns' owner. Cleveland can't seem to catch a break.

Just don't switch allegiance to the Rams. What, there's like 8 Rams fans in the MBBRL already!

Don't get me started on that. Frickin' Cleveland Curse rears its ugly head yet again!!!!

No chance of me switching allegiance. It's too late for me. Been a Cleveland fan (in all sports) for over 35 years. I just figure it's my destiny to die rooting for losers who grant nothing but annual disappointment. (Sigh) Besides, there's always next year (unless the Grim Reaper comes knocking).

DuffBeer Doug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot again. I'm good with an IR spot. I'm thinking just one, though.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of Division names... let's not forget The Waterboy, ..."the QB fakes to the left, no, he fakes to the right, no, he pretends to fake... where am I, I have to lie down..." and Necessary Roughness, ... "You're hurt, you're tired, you're bleeding, but I'll make you a promise, we get into that endzone, you're not gonna feel any pain."

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't agree on some changes, I'm also fine with just leaving everything the way it was. But I'd still like to see the IR slot.

And are the rosters still comprised of 9 starters and 5 bench? Do we want to bump up the bench to 6? Just asking. Sorry, Wil. I'm sure you're feverishly tabulating all of our responses.

Joe - As you know you can set up the league roster size/spots, scoring, etc pretty much anyway you want. Not that anyone here cares, but ESPN free even allows the 'team QB' option. Anyway, I think the number of starters determined should determine the number of bench spots and IR spots. If we stick to 9 starters then 5 bench and an IR should be suffice.
But if we go up to 10 starters then 6 bench spots + IR would be helpful. Makes for some slim-pickin in the latter rounds but I'm ok with that. I really have no preference. BTW - I figured you'd jump on board with the IDP notion.
---
For those who have not played on ESPN before, the IR spot is tricky. You cannot move a guy there until he is officially 'out'. Once he is, only then can you add a free agent to the roster (unless you drop someone else). Also, it basically resets each week. Once the new week starts, if he is not immediately declared out, then you cannot make any rosters moves until you bring him back on your bench (or drop). So if you picked up a free agent you will have to drop him or someone else.
Hopefully that made sense. .....

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I figured you'd jump on board with the IDP notion.

Although I'm in several IDP leagues, I'm not that fond of it for some reason?

For those who have not played on ESPN before, the IR spot is tricky.

Thanks for reinforcing that, Lefty. IR is real nice, but it can also be frustrating if a player is declared "out" only minutes before kickoff, and you miss the boat on that status.

Nova Scotia? And did I read that right? Your daughter's name is Neely? That's AWESOME!

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the IR spot is really for holding a guy who's out for a while, like, I dunno, McFadden? I'm happy to include it, since a big majority seems for it. Between that and the flex (RB/WR/TE), I don't think we need a 6th bench spot. A short bench keeps things more dynamic.

DuffBeer Doug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll second that last thought Wil. If we add an IR spot, then no 6th bench spot.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll second that last thought Wil. If we add an IR spot, then no 6th bench spot.

I'm on-board with that as well assuming we keep the number of starters the same.
Wil - guys like Mc(I stubbed my toe and don't know if I can play)Fadden are somewhat frustrating with ESPN format - but I don't think it is a bad thing the way they do it. You can't just leave him there until healthy - you will have to deal with him every week. As I said, if they are not declared 'out' for a specific period (or place on IR) they are not eligible for IR.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I'm in several IDP leagues, I'm not that fond of it for some reason?

Interesting - we play IDP in two other leagues I'm in and I really prefer it to DST. At least you are working with indvidual performance (like is done with offensive players) and the intangables of how well the offense of the team is playing is lessened. But we all have our own preferences.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So hey Will, when do we think we will be doing the Suicide draft this year and is it all full yet?
Sam

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam, I say we aim for the second Sunday in May, which should be sufficiently suicidal.

Everybody should check in again, but off the top of my head the suicide league is:
Treff
Joe
Lefty
Fuzzy
Ram
Sam
ww
Scape
TKO
Monkey
Duff (if needed)
...and maybe Foot

I have to say it's nice to have less ridiculousness on the boards. On the other hand there was always a kind of strange delight in seeing just how poorly he would fare in things like the QB rankings contest. I think three people want no part of him, about the same number feel kinda bad leaving him out, and the rest are both (or neither).

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam, I say we aim for the second Sunday in May, which should be sufficiently suicidal.

...and maybe Foot

I have to say it's nice to have less ridiculousness on the boards. On the other hand there was always a kind of strange delight in seeing just how poorly he would fare in things like the QB rankings contest. I think three people want no part of him, about the same number feel kinda bad leaving him out, and the rest are both (or neither).

I think those who 'miss him' should wander over and visit MWHS - - they can get their foot fungus there. .... the entertainment value hasn't changed.

It is nice to have some more serious thread discussions. ....

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nova Scotia? And did I read that right? Your daughter's name is Neely? That's AWESOME!

Little ole Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Although I'm not a typical Canadian, as Hockey is a distant 3rd behind Baseball and Football.

And it's Neely Ray, actually, but yeah, I thought so too.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think those who 'miss him' should wander over and visit MWHS - - they can get their foot fungus there. .... the entertainment value hasn't changed.

It is nice to have some more serious thread discussions. ....
Yeah, I looked................and second Sunday in May is waaaaay suicidal...........but seems like a long ways away. Same rules apply as last year right? No wire, no trades you just play 'em while you got 'em..........lol.
Sam

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everybody should check in again, but off the top of my head the suicide league is:
Treff
Joe
Lefty
Fuzzy
Ram
Sam
ww
Scape
TKO
Monkey
Duff (if needed)
...and maybe Foot

Now I only count 10 minus Foot and Duff.........so who would we be missing?
Sam

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, sorry for the extra post but I say no flex in the suicide league. Should be just like last year's disaster, oops I mean fun filled league!
Sam