• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Message Board Braggin' Rights League

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot the flex. I'd vote yes. Make one of the 3 WR slots a RB/WR/TE position.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only difference in scoring for DST is the yardage & points-against.

In CBS you started with 10 pts in each category which gradually got knocked down as far as 0. The yardage scoring got down to 0 at 300 yards. I don't remember exactly what it was for points against, but something like 10 for zero points allowed, 8 for 1 to 6, 6 for 7 to 13, 4 for 14-20, 2 for 21-27, 0 at 28+.

It's actually very similar at ESPN except the points start at 5 instead of 10, but both get to zero about the same place. In ESPN, though, you start going negative when you allow more than 28 points or more than 350 yards.

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually very similar at ESPN except the points start at 5 instead of 10, but both get to zero about the same place. In ESPN, though, you start going negative when you allow more than 28 points or more than 350 yards.

Forgot to vote on DST. This sounds okay to me with the negative points, but I'll go with whatever the majority decides.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this seems more than fair, in all honesty, a defense that gives up 30 pts has not helped their team win the game, regardless of the situation, and they shouldn't help ours either.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to add one more thing to the DST scoring debate. CBS had INT/fumble returns for TD's count against your DST, because I guess somehow they figured that the offensive team magically transformed into the defense after an INT. I sure as heck didn't draft an offensive team for their defensive skills.

I would like to see only points scored against the defensive players/unit I drafted (and I guess the special teams) count, if it can be configured that way.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll put the kibosh on IDP (I'm too lazy).

I agree that defensive yards can get pretty stupid, so I'm open to scrapping negative yardage scores. Points-against are another matter. If your DST gives up 35 points getting dinged makes sense.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that idea, yards against can only go as far as 0, but pts against can give you negative (with a cap limit, like -5 for 60+ pts against or something)

I do think that we should keep it as close to last year's settings as possible though.

I'd be game for the flex taking one of the WR spots, just cause it is that way in my other leagues, so less draft planning for me :yahoo:

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, it throws a little bit of a monkey wrench into the machine when you draft...

and no, contrary to what the duffman is telling you all, I won't be throwing any of my wrenches into your drafting machines!

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trick with removing points against the offense is how you figure it. Would it count if a quick kick by the QB is returned for a TD? Would it count if a pass on a fake field goal by the holder (also a QB) is picked off and returned for a TD?

If you can write a rule that stands up, maybe we can implement it.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the negative DST pts - I vote NO !!!! Actually I hate the DST scoring since a team up by 20-30pts will basically give up yardage & pts. I would hate to lose a game simply because the offense of my DST put up 45 pts early and basically played prevent.

I'm sticking to the above statement. DST scoring sucks anyway so lets not make it worse. ....

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sticking to the above statement. DST scoring sucks anyway so lets not make it worse. ....

lol, yeah, then there's always this too.

Far as I know, no free league is going to have a scoring setting that separates those types o scores, hell I've yet to see a pay league offer that, nor should they. fumble recovered on the one, next play TD vs your defense..should that be on your D?
If it's going to be even somewhat of a pain in the ass, just leave it as is.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no preference with regard to roster sizes*, points, scoring, championship week, or flex. However if we do flex then I’d like to see full flex. By this I mean rather than just having a RB/WR as a flex, I’d like to see a RB/WR/TE flex spot. But I'll go with the majority.

QB TD's-never understood the reasoning for the lower points..a pass TD counts the same s a redirecting TD on the scoreboard does it not? 6pts please

This may be true Treff, but usually only one player gets the points, and it’s usually the player that “scored” (i.e. received) the TD. By giving the receiver and a QB 6 points each would make TD’s worth 12 points. Technically, I don’t care, just saying.

IR Bench Spot
* Although I mentioned that I have no preferences with regard to roster sizes, I would really like to push for the IR option. For those unfamiliar with ESPN, if a player’s status is “out” then you’d be able to move him to your bench (in the IR slot) and pick up a free agent to replace him. Once the IR player’s status changes (even if it improves to “doubtful”), you’d eventually have to drop a player (most likely the extra free agent you picked up).

Note that the IR bench spot is something that we need to agree on right away (like before the draft, I believe.) Once roster sizes are set in ESPN, they cannot be added to.

Division Names
ESPN also let’s you customize division names. I say we get creative, unless you like the standard East, West, Central, etc. Moe, Larry Curly? Rock, Paper, Scissors? Although this may be a tougher task because we're stretching this among 2 conferences/leagues (and 6 divisions). Maybe rename the divisions after 6 football movies? The Longest Yard, North Dallas Forty, Any Given Sunday, Remember the Titans, Brian’s Song, The Replacements, etc. Just thinking out loud.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be true Treff, but usually only one player gets the points, and it’s usually the player that “scored” (i.e. received) the TD. By giving the receiver and a QB 6 points each would make TD’s worth 12 points. Technically, I don’t care, just saying.

ahh yes, very true....but alternatively we award 6+4 for ten? ;)

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't agree on some changes, I'm also fine with just leaving everything the way it was. But I'd still like to see the IR slot.

And are the rosters still comprised of 9 starters and 5 bench? Do we want to bump up the bench to 6? Just asking. Sorry, Wil. I'm sure you're feverishly tabulating all of our responses.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Doug, sorry to hear what's been going on with the Browns' owner. Cleveland can't seem to catch a break.

Just don't switch allegiance to the Rams. What, there's like 8 Rams fans in the MBBRL already!

Speaking of which... Wil, you don't have team logos at all?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In real football QBs don't throw to opposing wide receivers, and DSTs don't pick off their own QBs. In reality a 40-yard run followed by a fumble is bad - you might as well get stuffed three times and punt.

And what about that block your RB threw to prevent a sack?

I find peace in the notion that if fantasy scoring represented the actual contribution to a real football victory, it would be boring as hell.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe, I'm the worst sports fan in the world. I'm a nomad. I was a Chargers fan in the Fouts era, which gradually gave way to the Broncos under Elway, but when Elway retired my interest in the Broncos faded fast. I was a Padres fan for years until a girl passing by asked what I was watching, and when I said, "the Padres" she said, "Oh, isn't that that new age team?" and that was the end of that. (Still love John Kruk though.) I was a fan of the Rockies from their birth until the cancellation of the World Series. I was a fan of the Nets with Jason Kidd, the Mets under Minaya, and the Jets under Mangini (just to complete the "ets" trifecta of NYC underachievement). Every four years I root for Brazil in the World Cup.

Living far from a major-league city doesn't help any.

I should have been a Dodgers fan, but their betrayal of Brooklyn is unforgivable.

This year... I'm rooting for Steven Jackson, RGIII, the Nationals, Ichiro, and Darrelle Revis.

I'm more consistent in my hatred. I've always despised the Cowboys, and until they stop wearing silver on their uniforms I think I always will.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe, I'm the worst sports fan in the world. I'm a nomad.

That may explain while you're more rational and less-excitable than the rest of us.

Not including Foot. All of us are more rational than him. He's the King of the Homers. The rest of us are realists.