• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Message Board Braggin' Rights League

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Joe -
That said, let me offer this: Would your conscience allow you to pursue these "other endeavors" in addition to fantasy football if you did not have as much on your plate with respect the MBBRL? Because if it boils down to having no humorous write-ups, and no power rankings, but we still get Will White as our ultimate "keeper," then I could live without the other stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree; it is the founding father of MBBRL, Mr. Will of White that we wish to hang onto. I realize it is not in some people's makeup (I suspect yours) to put in a partial effort - but know we can live with something short of the ultimate effort you have displayed.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for comparing me to George Bailey, Foot - but the old Building & Loan will have enough quality guys to sustain it. Lefty nailed it with his bit about partial effort... and to prove it, since I still have a few weeks left to gab, here's my latest observation:

In our Rankings Game, everyone's score peaked at Week 6, and everyone's lowest score is now. Which I think means one-and two-week anomalies started to settle out and by Week 6 what was expected in the beginning had come as close to fruition as it ever would. Everyone's scores looked like they were heading on an upward trend, and then abruptly reversed course. Why? Injuries started to pile up, late bloomers moved up the rankings (Rashad Jennings, Stacy, Foles, Rainey with a new team) and everyone's scores have been dropping as a result ever since.

The takeaway from that (no surprise, really) is that the performance landscape shifts a lot during the season. That makes it's fairly easy to recover from a terrible draft, and also easy to slide into mediocrity after a great draft if you don't keep up. Player evaluation has to be consistent and season-long to position you for a good playoff run. Barilko and Treff both had what turned out to be terrible drafts, but both made the playoffs, and of course Barilko won out.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok Wil, i'm over my initial shock and now i'm just bummed because you have made this league such an awesome experience. I am also hoping you change your mind.

If you don't, look at the bright side: you will actually be able to get some sleep during football season. :rollseyes:

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no reaction to my corny use of every white album track

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Barilko i really enjoyed it!

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the old Building & Loan will have enough quality guys to sustain it. Lefty nailed it with his bit about partial effort...

Perhaps you're just burned out for now? Maybe after a few months of recuperation you may still decide to participate as an active owner (or even a less-hands-on commish).

But just in case you don't change your mind, perhaps you should send a few ESPN "invites" and establish a backup co-commish in each MBBRL league so we don't lose the data from the 2013 season.

Any takers? And please do not nominate moi.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great season, guys.

I had decided a few weeks ago that this would be my last year of fantasy football. The call of the Rest of the World is awfully loud, and despite what many believe, fantasy football pays you back in accordance with what you put into it, especially over the long haul. I couldn't muddle along with half-hearted effort and participation - I'd go back to intensive thinking, analysis, and arguing no matter what - so I'm packing it in. I'll still be posting for a few more weeks, finishing up the rankings game, handing over the keys, writing little blurbs about y'all, yakking about the playoffs and whatnot.

By far the most rewarding part of fantasy football for me has been the MBBRL. It's been great competing, debating, and goofing off with all of you. Each of you brings something - or several things - to the table that has made these past three years a blast.

People have said a lot of nice things about how I've run the leagues (which is very much appreciated), but in reality I'm more Alex Smith than Peyton Manning - there's so much interesting stuff going on that all I had to was manage it. The only real inspiration I had was to start the league in the first place so all the message board know-it-alls could put their record where there mouth is, and that idea got it's final push from Foot's $1000, have-a-lawyer-put-the-money-in-escrow-and-televise-the-results league.

I have no doubt that you guys have everything you need to keep the MBBRL charging ahead. Somebody - or maybe a couple of somebodies - will have to jump into the League Manager shoes to manage the ESPN side... kinda looking at you Tlance, since you ran the baseball side so nicely. The heart of the MBBRL is conversation and competition, and there's no lack of that in this group.

I didn't want to mention my decision earlier, because I didn't want to skew the drama of relegation, or steal the spotlight from the final games. But now we know that Monkey is rescued from relegation and resumes his spot in the A League (pay enough attention next year, Monkey!)

After the Super Bowl I'll wrap up and vanish into the mists... maybe take up Foot's old seat on the Golden Mountain.

ww

WilWhite , It's hard to believe you only starting posting since April. You feel like a institute. Your write ups are professional grade and I doubt anyone on board can equal them. You should be writing for money, your that good! As you said their are a lot of good and interesting posters here and the forum will survive, but it won't be the same without your write ups. Your write ups made this one of my favorite threads to check on.
I do understand the time issue and wish you good luck! You know if you change your mind we'll all throw a celebration.
Chow
HaroldSeattle

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet Will only wishes he started in April :).
Man's been an institution for a few years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet Will only wishes he started in April :).
Man's been an institution for a few years.

I'm not from CBS so as far as I know Will has only been on SportsHoopla since April. I understand that many of you you have known him for much longer.

I have a proposal for Will. How about you continuing your write ups, even thou your not playing? Frankly your writes ups, trumps your actually playing. You got a skill for writing, don't bury it.

What do you say?

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys - I think we have adequately express our sincere desires for Will to remain a part of MBBRL even if that is in a diminished role. I would think he understands that we all value him as a player, commish, and as a message board friend. But he, and he alone, must weigh his options prior to August when things start getting serious. A lot can change over the next 7-8 months and perhaps he will have a change of heart. We can only hope so.

Anyway, I believe we need to move on to other discussions and let him work through this personal decision. ..... After getting to know him on the message boards for the past several years, it is a given that whatever he decides will consider all factors and be in the best interest of all involved.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no reaction to my corny use of every white album track

Well, I give you credit - you didn't LET IT BE.

I know, wrong album...:rollseyes:

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just like to say that it was a very good week to be a UCF grad and a Clemson fan ...........

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that this was a really good week to have a FSU grad in the family. Congrats Brian !!!!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. My week 2 roster is set.

It won't pay to pick and Broncos or Seahawks at this point (since they are the favorites) since I won't make up much fantasy-scoring-ground anywho. So I went all 9ers, except for Ryan Mathews as my 2nd RB.

I'm doomed.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops. Meant to post that on the playoff thread. Copy & paste.