• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meltons agent talking up Cowboys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Miles is gone and the only question is before or after June 1st. We were worse with him on the field than without him. All he did last year was keep a better player off the field. So even if he played for free he isn't likely to help us.

I think he will play a lot better if healthy. When healthy he is a very very good player.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Miles is gone and the only question is before or after June 1st. We were worse with him on the field than without him. All he did last year was keep a better player off the field. So even if he played for free he isn't likely to help us.
Cutting Austin before June 1st removes his $5.5M salary from the cap but brings forward $5,106,200 of dead money into the 2014 cap. Removing Carr or Austin before June 1st hurts the team badly in 2014. Both or either can reasonably be removed post June 1st but the team can only make make 2 post dated decisions. The Cowboys would be wise to decide what to do in terms of removing, renegotiating, or agreeing pay cuts with those 2 before dealing with Ware, who could be cut before June 1st if those 2 refused to make changes.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting Austin before June 1st removes his $5.5M salary from the cap but brings forward $5,106,200 of dead money into the 2014 cap. Removing Carr or Austin before June 1st hurts the team badly in 2014. Both or either can reasonably be removed post June 1st but the team can only make make 2 post dated decisions. The Cowboys would be wise to decide what to do in terms of removing, renegotiating, or agreeing pay cuts with those 2 before dealing with Ware, who could be cut before June 1st if those 2 refused to make changes.

If we can afford it when it is all said & done. I say take the whole hit this season instead of pushing forward the dead money on Austin.

Carr...... Well he isn't going anywhere.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree on Carr. he's going nowhere

Austin is a post June 1st. That money signs the rookie class

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, no although I like the player. I think we will be a lot better at LB this year. I think Holloman will do a great job and that Wilber will be good as well. Carter played better at the second half of the season and I expect a jump in his play this season. So to be no honest no I would not draft the guy although I believe he will be a solid nfl player.

I noticed you didn't mention Lee. My thinking in drafting Mosley is playing him @ the Mike & moving Lee in hopes of saving him from wear & tear. Keeping him on the field for the whole year.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree on Carr. he's going nowhere

Austin is a post June 1st. That money signs the rookie class

Thats GOING TO HAPPEN

hit the nail on the head

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed you didn't mention Lee. My thinking in drafting Mosley is playing him @ the Mike & moving Lee in hopes of saving him from wear & tear. Keeping him on the field for the whole year.

I think the one way Mosley becomes a possibility for the Cowboys at 16 would be if they signed either Melton or Hatcher and either sign Spencer or retain Ware. Otherwise, they almost have to go DL IMO. I think you're right about Mosely, he will be a very good Pro

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think we'd restructure Witten, Romo, Scandrick, and Lee which will give us about 7-8MM in space, then Ware and Miles take paycuts which will give us the rookie money and add a couple of vets after June 1 cuts. Just my opinion. I think Spencer and Melton are very possible with 7MM in cap space.

I think you have to go with your CB's another year. So that means you can add Safety help for B.Church although I really like JJ and possibly Matt Johnson if he can stay healthy. I'd go with JJ as starter he was playing well before getting hurt and to only think that was only his third year ever playing Safety.

So what do you do? You play more man press, and you improve the blitz which is DL. Does anyone ever stop and say damn every one of the Seahawk's corners can cover, this is not true, they just don't have to cover for long which anyone can do in the NFL if only covering for 2-3 seconds.

A line of Spencer, Donald, Melton, Ware with Crawford, Bass, Selvie as backups would keep the line fresh and our sacks would come a plenty, that is what made Seattle great their DL depth, they are so deep on the DL. This is what I want our team to spend the money on Melton and get Spencer low cost.

I think Carolina giving Hardy the franchise tag hurts our chances of signing Spencer on the cheap side. Spencer moves up in the FA pecking order, his price has to go up

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lee when healthy is probably the best D player we have, he should be a given. I won't argue that Mosley will be a good player, but I still rather trade down if I can't get Donald or Evans. I think the extra 2 or 3 we could get would do us better than pushing Holloman or Wilber to the bench, because I promise Carter Mosley and Lee would be your starters in that instance.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carolina giving Hardy the franchise tag hurts our chances of signing Spencer on the cheap side. Spencer moves up in the FA pecking order, his price has to go up

IDK about that to be honest. I'd rank the following ahead of Spencer in this FA class due to injury, age, and performance:

Orakpo could play DE in 4-3
Mike Bennett
Lamar Houston
Jared Allen
Mike Johnson
Justin Tuck
Jason Worilds could play DE in a 4-3

That's 6 even if you are with me about Jason not being better due to last year and the fact he is 26, Spencer due to being 30, two years of being hurt, micro-fracture surgery, I'd say Spencer is a 2nd tier DE in this FA class, not to mention Peppers will be cut soon to add to that list.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We all are well aware of the deal with Miles. Of course pushing money into next year is bad thats not even necessary to mention. Here is what you are missing with your generalization about post 6/1 cuts being so bad though. It's not like a restructure that moves money out of this year and into future years and also doesn't have a finite repercussion. With the cut only the money already paid out needs to go against your cap (regardless of the year). So it's just a matter of which year you take the hit in. It's not like there is much of a choice so you need to decide on the lesser of the two evils. Renegotiating, restructuring or agreeing to a lesser contract is what would be dumb with Miles. Why in the world would we add more money to his contract when his value has already been greatly exceeded by his contract? You need suck it up and cut the cord with guys like him. No additional money!!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee when healthy is probably the best D player we have, he should be a given. I won't argue that Mosley will be a good player, but I still rather trade down if I can't get Donald or Evans. I think the extra 2 or 3 we could get would do us better than pushing Holloman or Wilber to the bench, because I promise Carter Mosley and Lee would be your starters in that instance.

There is no chance that's a guarantee. Carter was benched LAST YEAR. No way he or a rookie is guaranteed a starting spot and if you "sources" tell you so, your sources are making it up. Carter will go into camp as a starter, but will need to fight off some competition with or without a 1st round pick thrown in the mix and obviously no draft pick will be guaranteed a starting spot even if we would like it to happen. My bet is Marinelli will agree with me...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all are well aware of the deal with Miles. Of course pushing money into next year is bad thats not even necessary to mention. Here is what you are missing with your generalization about post 6/1 cuts being so bad though. It's not like a restructure that moves money out of this year and into future years and also doesn't have a finite repercussion. With the cut only the money already paid out needs to go against your cap (regardless of the year). So it's just a matter of which year you take the hit in. It's not like there is much of a choice so you need to decide on the lesser of the two evils. Renegotiating, restructuring or agreeing to a lesser contract is what would be dumb with Miles. Why in the world would we add more money to his contract when his value has already been greatly exceeded by his contract? You need suck it up and cut the cord with guys like him. No additional money!!!

This is my deal with Miles that most don't see. Miles when healthy is a top 15-20 WR in the NFL. Miles on the street as of now may be able to get 2-3MM a season. If we can get Miles to take a pay cut down to 2.5MM for the next three seasons we save:

3MM in 2014
4.388MM in 2015
8.88MM in 2016

All while not taking any hit on the cap. Look at it like this, if we cut Miles June 1st the amount we would have free or as some would say save on the cap would be:

5.106MM in 2014
4.5MM in 2015
10.2MM in 2016

So looking at this what I see is that we are able to keep a WR with a lot of talent who has been injured a lot lately, but could come back strong for only a difference of:

2.106MM in 2014 if cut this year
120K in 2015 if cut this year
2.68MM in 2016 if cut this year

Lets look at what if we keep Miles this year at a reduced salary and he doesn't workout. If we cut Miles next season this is what happens with a reduced salary, what the cap would look like as far as free money by cutting Miles in 2015 with a salary reduction for the remaining 3 season's at 2.5MM:

140K if cut before June 1, 2015......2.89MM if cut after June 1, 2015 with a carry over of 2.356MM into 2016

Now you have to understand this is still not the true savings due to the fact that the reduction in salary down to 2.5MM still saves the:

3MM in 2014
4.388MM in 2015
8.88MM in 2016

in each of the seasons from Miles original cap numbers which are current in present day. I know this may be a little complicated, and I tried to break it down the best way possible so that most could follow; but I honestly believe that keeping Miles if he agrees to a reduced salary at 2.5MM or less as a base for each of his remaining three seasons would be our best option.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no chance that's a guarantee. Carter was benched LAST YEAR. No way he or a rookie is guaranteed a starting spot and if you "sources" tell you so, your sources are making it up. Carter will go into camp as a starter, but will need to fight off some competition with or without a 1st round pick thrown in the mix and obviously no draft pick will be guaranteed a starting spot even if we would like it to happen. My bet is Marinelli will agree with me...

Carter had 2-3 bad games last season the Chargers game is what most remember, during the last 6 or so games last season Carter actually played very well. He will be the starter, no source has to tell me that for me to know it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter had 2-3 bad games last season the Chargers game is what most remember, during the last 6 or so games last season Carter actually played very well. He will be the starter, no source has to tell me that for me to know it.

2-3 games? No way. He was horrible last year. His coverage was abysmal. He never seemed to know where he was supposed to be. It's not like he was moved to the bench by some superstars. If not for the injuries he might not have gotten back on the field at all last year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my deal with Miles that most don't see. Miles when healthy is a top 15-20 WR in the NFL .

IMO That right there is the flaw with your entire point. A healthy Miles is likely no longer an NFL starter, let alone a top 15 WR. Think about how many good WRs are in this league right now. You really think Miles can even be considered top 15 by the biggest of Miles fans? He wasn't in the top 100 last year. And I'm not even going to get into what the odds of him actually being healthy are.

IMO even if he somehow were still here this year he should be our #4 WR. If the team is even considering keeping him I would be surprised...well actually I wouldn't, but that doesn't make it smart.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What looks even better than your numbers is what we save if we just cut him and you can make an argument we are fine as is without him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-3 games? No way. He was horrible last year. His coverage was abysmal. He never seemed to know where he was supposed to be. It's not like he was moved to the bench by some superstars. If not for the injuries he might not have gotten back on the field at all last year.

IMO That right there is the flaw with your entire point. A healthy Miles is likely no longer an NFL starter, let alone a top 15 WR. Think about how many good WRs are in this league right now. You really think Miles can even be considered top 15 by the biggest of Miles fans? He wasn't in the top 100 last year. And I'm not even going to get into what the odds of him actually being healthy are.

IMO even if he somehow were still here this year he should be our #4 WR. If the team is even considering keeping him I would be surprised...well actually I wouldn't, but that doesn't make it smart.

Well who was good in coverage last year outside of Scandrick? Overall Carter played well the Second half of the season.

Miles when HEALTHY which he hasn't been in over 2 years is still probably a top 15-20 WR in the NFL. What made Miles great was his lower body strength, what makes Miles bad is the fact he can't generate that lower body strength due to his hammy's.

For people like you though, I hope Miles does gets cut, goes to a team like SD is healthy for the year, and has 1,400 - 1,500 yards next season only to here the same people that were crying to cut him, cry because we did cut him. Then blame Jerry for being so stupid. There is no question Miles is not worth his contract, but what they should do is ask him to tak a pay cut, if he does not then cut him. As far as a healthy Miles being #4 on our WR list, I'll say it's early and you are still tired. Williams is body catcher and unless he starts catching with his hands I would not be ready to say he is #2 on the list, in fact he had a very rough 2nd half of the season. I'd assume Beasley is your #3, and if he is are you seriously saying he should be ahead of Miles? If so please stop, Beasley is no more than a slot WR on third down, he isn't Wes Welker or Danny A.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miles when HEALTHY which he hasn't been in over 2 years is still probably a top 15-20 WR in the NFL. What made Miles great was his lower body strength, what makes Miles bad is the fact he can't generate that lower body strength due to his hammy's.

Are you saying Miles would be a #1 WR on 20 or more teams?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about that to be honest. I'd rank the following ahead of Spencer in this FA class due to injury, age, and performance:

Orakpo could play DE in 4-3
Mike Bennett
Lamar Houston
Jared Allen
Mike Johnson
Justin Tuck
Jason Worilds could play DE in a 4-3

That's 6 even if you are with me about Jason not being better due to last year and the fact he is 26, Spencer due to being 30, two years of being hurt, micro-fracture surgery, I'd say Spencer is a 2nd tier DE in this FA class, not to mention Peppers will be cut soon to add to that list.

It would make a lot of sense for the Cowboys and Spencer to do a one year deal with incentives. Spencer would be a FA again next year after driving his value back up, and the Cowboys would have a guy motivated to have a career year. If Anthony Spencer were 100% good to go, I'd take him over most of the guys on your list because of either age or production