• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McLouth

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucs close to deal with McLouth By Gosh, It's Langosch

I don't have a problem with this if he is brought in as a 4th/5th OF and maybe turn his career around.
Mags...they listened to you and brought him back. :wink:

Also I am not really down on the through of bringing in Wilson Betemit either as a contingency to Alvarez.
Twitter.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never thought much of mclouth and i felt that we had gotten the better end of the deal when we traded him. I would say that hes worth a shot as a fourth outfielder but i dont expect much out of him.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with either, although I really don't understand McLouth. I assume that means they plan on having Jones at first base only.

I think they need a contingency for Alvarez, Betemit is a good option, although I don't know if he is the best option.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not a fan of either deal, it is just a waste of money that could be better used elsewhere. McLouth is nothing more than a AAA roster filler at this point in his career, he really has no reason to be on a major league roster. Betemit has had his career year and isn't a candidate for a rebound season, he is a slightly below average major league player.

What I don't get is if they are so concerned about re-signing Derek Lee, make him an offer that he can refuse, like a 3 year deal, and get him signed. Why does NH feel that if he makes a competitive offer to a player that they would actually sign with the Pirates? No player worth having is going to sign with us unless we overpay. This brings me to the fact that there may not be much of a market for Derek Lee, if he was getting good offers from other team I would have thought he would have already turned down his arbitration offer.

Anyway, what is it going to take for Neil to learn that signing guys hoping they catch lightning in a bottle is a bad way to go about free agency. Either go big or go home, find players to target and then get them to sign, and start a little higher up than major league average.

I am also begining to lose faith in his drafting and his development plans. He has yet to turn out a single player that he has drafted that hasn't sucked to high heaven. His development of Pedro Alvarez has turned a once promising power hitter into something that resembles someone trying to have a high OBP, but can't recognize pitches or location. He is so lost I don't see how he can ever recover and become even an average baseball player.

I'll go now or this post may be another 2 or 3 pages. I am just getting sick of all the BS.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks of Derek Lee for three years, I'm 50/50 on giving him a one year deal.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McOut is horrible. If you give more than two cents to get him, you are getting screwed. I say this in good faith as a Braves fan.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well now that mclouth is official i want to ask - why did his power disappear? Could it be all ballpark? Seems like too much of a stretch but with the Pirates he was always slugging in the .400 to .500 range whereas with Atlanta it was .320-ish

He still got on base at a pretty good rate last year and he's good enough defender to play a good corner. Seems like he's just about the ideal fourth outfielder for a team like the Pirates, since there's still the possibility of some upside. I stress - a team like the Pirates. Any other team would be right to pass on him after two seasons of total suck.

I'm actually pulling for Betemit a little bit. I don't expect TOO much but if Betemit just hits for his career average he could (sadly) end up being our second best hitter.
Obviously we hope for more from a bunch of our position players but really McCutchen is the only one who seems like a lock to do better than .800, and Betemit is a career .784 guy.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy to see McLouth back because I believe there's a chance he will rebound with the bat and contribute.

I have nothing against Betemit, either.

Unfortunately, I don't think either player will make much difference. As the off-season progresses, my hope for 2012 continues to dim. Seems likely that I made a mistake in coming back to Pirate discussion boards.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Pirates are no longer going after Betemit. He hit well in Detroit last year would have liked to seen that and would have helped their offense.