• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely about the game planning. That coaching staff was always bad with gameplanning. I believe thats why we saw success early in the regular season followed by a collapse late.

To even try and judge what either side of the ball will be a complete waste of time. New staff and schemes. This team will be an entirely different team then what we saw under Schwartz. Hopefully it will be an improved team in every facet but until then, you guys are debating about the unknown.

Actually LPSLC I am usually not the debator. Been home with wife after surgery and on FMLA bored out of my fucking mind. Looking at weeds and leaves in the yard or finding ways to keep Mike proving his GM skills. No brainer...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually LPSLC I am usually not the debator. Been home with wife after surgery and on FMLA bored out of my fucking mind. Looking at weeds and leaves in the yard or finding ways to keep Mike proving his GM skills. No brainer...

You could always vacuum. Oh, wait. You said you were already bored out of your fucking mind. Nevermind.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLAY MAKERS!!! Players to force turnovers, players to consistently make big plays. Our CBs had TWO interceptions last year. Our best CB was 33 years old and picked up off the streets just before the season started. The guy with the most potential is Darius Slay, who just so happens to be the one player the Lions have drafted at CB in the 1st 2 rounds over the past decade plus.

Detroit's offense has 1st round picks up and down the roster -- from QB to RB to WR to TE to LT, etc.

Detroit's defense has 1st round picks on the DL and 2 of those guys are in the last year of their contract and unsigned after 2014. We have a #1 CB who is, at best, a #2 CB. We have a nickel CB, that in two years, has more PI's called against him than passes defensed.

Our top two LB'ers -- Levy and Tulloch have 3 forced fumbles combined for their CAREER. Not last season -- for their career. That is 13 seasons worth of football. I think Levy and Tulloch are solid players, but the defense needs someone to make plays and force turnovers.

With a defense that makes plays -- it takes pressure off the offense. The offense doesn't have to put up a ton of points every game. If they force turnovers the offense doens't have to go the length of the field to put up points.

Have to rock the little guy to sleep -- I'll come on later to discuss some more if there are responses.

Levy was a pretty good playmaker last year...

Just because you have playmakers on defense doesnt make your defense great.....remember dre bly...now he was a play maker but our defense still wasnt great......look at the bears playmakers 2 years ago....they didnt even make the playoffs with all the TO's they were getting.

You keep saying how great the detroit offense already is.....because of stats? How many times did our offense go 3 and out? Or couldnt build on a lead? Play a great first half and then get shut out in the 2nd half? How many yards did our offense rack up at the end of games down 20 and the other team in prevent? Not to mention how bad our offense looked when CJ didnt play.

I keep hearing about the drafting the WR in the first round crap.....we hit on CJ....I think roy williams was a good pick.....mike williams was a bust, but everyone thought him at 10 was a steal....and charlie rogers? Geez that was eons ago......so you want the lions to pass on a WR that some EXPERTS are saying is the best WR to come out in awhile and grab a WR in the 2nd round like when they got broyles, titus, and wasnt d williams a 2nd too? Seems like more of a risk for the lions to take a 2nd round WR.

But hey its that time of the year where people want to be kiper or mayhew....so they play fantasy GM/expert online.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos at times made teams look stupid this year. Aginst the Ravens 7 passing TD's. Ravens vs. Lions this high profile offense you speak of did shit!

Why are you bringing up what Denver did vs. what Detroit has done? Detroit will never have an offense like Denver, because we don't have Peyton Manning. We can have as much talent at the skill positions as Denver, but it isn't going to mean we put up stats like Denver.

I love Stafford, but he is never going to be confused with Peyton. Peyton is one of the best all-time -- Stafford isn't even the best QB in his own conference.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying we have to draft a WR....but lets not act like we are stacked at WR because we got CJ....

Id be happy with....watkins, evans, clowney, mack, dennard, dixon......i dont want DT or OL....i think for this year we are fine.....next draft we will be drooling over a new BEAST DT...or the NEXT GREAT OL......every year they have DT and OL worthy of a first round pick...and every year we sit here and talk about how great they will be.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And its dumb to say this team did this to that team....

In the NFL any given sunday a team can play their best and beat anyone....id bet if denver and seattle played 10 times, denver would win more....and i hate denver...i just think seattle played the game of their lives...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you want the lions to pass on a WR that some EXPERTS are saying is the best WR to come out in awhile and grab a WR in the 2nd round like when they got broyles, titus, and wasnt d williams a 2nd too? Seems like more of a risk for the lions to take a 2nd round WR.

there is a HUGE difference between passing on Watkins and trading up for Watkins. If Watkins fell to #10, I'd run to NY for the Lions to turn in the pick for them.

when you have to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick and possibly a 1st next year too, to get Watkins. that isn't 'passing on him' -- that is called not mortgaging the future for one player.

Detroit isn't one player from being a really good team. This is a team who is 11-21 the last two years. If Detroit was set everywhere else and they felt one player would put them over the top and contend for a Super Bowl -- I could absolutely be on board with trading away picks. Does anyone here feel Detroit is even the favorite to win their division if they draft Watkins, let alone a Super Bowl contender?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying we have to draft a WR....but lets not act like we are stacked at WR because we got CJ....

If we hadn't went out and sign Golden Tate to a 5 year 31 million dollar contract -- You wouldn't be hearing a peep from me about trading up for Watkins, because I would agree -- Detroit needed someone to play opposite CJ.

They did sign Tate though.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit didn't give up 400+ yards to New Orleans. Detroit gave up an NFL record 34 first downs and an NFL record 626 yards of total offense. The total offense record had stood for 49 years.

Detroit is the team who had over 400+ yards of offense in the game and were still embarrassed by the Saints.

Do you feel Detroit is a better defense now than in 2011? IMO, it is basically the same. I think they are better against the run, but worse against the pass. 2011's team forced many more turnovers and had more sacks.

You keep bringing up this one game that turned into a shoot out....im sure if the lions offense sucked that game NO's wouldnt had kept the foot on the pedal....stats can be misleading.....the game was just an offensive shootout...

So look at last years defense then.....vs chicago, one of the leagues best offenses last year....first game shut them down before going to prevent in the 4th....how bout holding aaron rodgers and the pack to 5 FG's and one 83 yd TD.....how bout holding chicago to 12 pts until marshall had a last minute TD to get the bears to 19 pts.....i dont like our defense but theyre not as bad as you make them seem...the offense seemed to put the defense in the hole time and time again...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

My friend, you need to find more things that support your arguements. Im not convinced one bit that the Lions have this great offense while the defense has been ignored. And I know all this defense talk stems from what Seattle was able to do. I think you know Denver wins 3 out of 5 if they were to play that many.

You say we need PLAYMAKERS? Well, is it Mayhew's fault that the players aren't getting it done or is it the players? On the D-line, Mayhew did provide playmakers. He started with Williams and Suh and added from there. Fairley is supposed to be a playmaker and Ansah has shown us he can do that. We lost Young but he was too. Levy was a playmaker coming out of Wisconson and surely he was expected to do those things in Detroit. Tolluch has been good, but lacking in that department. He ws expected to though. Delmas was brought in to make plays, which he did until the injuries start hitting. Quin is considered a playmaker, but didnt quite show up. Houston made some plays in his time here but fell off. Bently was known for making plays coming out of college, but has struggled. Slay also made plays coming out of college but struggled in Detroit.

The great majority of the players on defense are or was considered playmakers with their abilities. In 2013, they did awful but did well in previous seasons. Attempting to pair Delmas and Quin shouldve brought great results. Same with Suh and Fairley. Levy and Tolluch should be better.

How do you think Mayhew feels about all these guys underachieving and not getting the job done? He has said it many times that guys need to step up.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is a HUGE difference between passing on Watkins and trading up for Watkins. If Watkins fell to #10, I'd run to NY for the Lions to turn in the pick for them.

when you have to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick and possibly a 1st next year too, to get Watkins. that isn't 'passing on him' -- that is called not mortgaging the future for one player.

Detroit isn't one player from being a really good team. This is a team who is 11-21 the last two years. If Detroit was set everywhere else and they felt one player would put them over the top and contend for a Super Bowl -- I could absolutely be on board with trading away picks. Does anyone here feel Detroit is even the favorite to win their division if they draft Watkins, let alone a Super Bowl contender?

But YOU dont know what it would take to move up....

Do you really think detroit would give up a 2nd and next yrs first to move up 8 spots? If so, then yeah im sure no lion fan wants that....but id offer any kind of combo of any other picks to move up....the 2nd round hasnt been to kind to us anyway.....when we get a top 5 player tho, it usually works out well.

Any team can win the superbowl....sorry.....seen too many teams get good real quick....was just a few years ago seattle was like 7-9 and couldnt score at all.....the saints were the laughingstock for years....the giants just won the superbowl as a mediocre team.....just like baltimore.....make the playoffs and anything can happen. But im sure YOU KNEW seattle would win the superbowl before last yr started.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasnt delmas drafted as a play maker? I remember alot of fans loved that pick......i think playmakers come from good coaching and schemes....catching the offense off guard....making plays....just because if the lions signed a so called playmaker....that doesnt automatically mean he will make plays...

Just wondering.....name the PLAYMAKERS the lions should draft....so i can write it down and see a year from now how many actually made the plays...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But YOU dont know what it would take to move up....

Do you really think detroit would give up a 2nd and next yrs first to move up 8 spots? If so, then yeah im sure no lion fan wants that....but id offer any kind of combo of any other picks to move up....the 2nd round hasnt been to kind to us anyway.....when we get a top 5 player tho, it usually works out well.

Any team can win the superbowl....sorry.....seen too many teams get good real quick....was just a few years ago seattle was like 7-9 and couldnt score at all.....the saints were the laughingstock for years....the giants just won the superbowl as a mediocre team.....just like baltimore.....make the playoffs and anything can happen. But im sure YOU KNEW seattle would win the superbowl before last yr started.

I knew Seattle would be in the SuperBowl back in Oct. That's why I told my boss back in Oct that I want Feb 4th off four months in advance.:laugh3:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This so-called 2013 Lions prolific offense WENT 20 QUARTERS out of a possible 64 QUARTERS not scoring a single fuckin' point. just sayin'

New coaches and new schemes should change that stat above and hopefully Staffy gets his act together right along with the wr's and rb's and OL-men. I'd be more concerned with the OL possibly regressing than drops, fumbles etc. OL-men played way above expectations last year.We all hope the OL progresses but Continuity and Chemistry change every year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Big Blue.

The offense didnt do some of the more important things. The stats are meaningless in the Lions situation.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This so-called 2013 Lions prolific offense WENT 20 QUARTERS out of a possible 64 QUARTERS not scoring a single fuckin' point. just sayin'

New coaches and new schemes should change that stat above and hopefully Staffy gets his act together right along with the wr's and rb's and OL-men. I'd be more concerned with the OL possibly regressing than drops, fumbles etc. OL-men played way above expectations last year.We all hope the OL progresses but Continuity and Chemistry change every year.

:10:

Thats what i was saying....the offense vanished at times....just think if we got wakins OR evans.....the offense wouldnt be addressed for awhile....imagine the next 2 drafts where we could focus on defense and maybe OL....but our skill positions would be fine for a few years...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we hadn't went out and sign Golden Tate to a 5 year 31 million dollar contract -- You wouldn't be hearing a peep from me about trading up for Watkins, because I would agree -- Detroit needed someone to play opposite CJ.

They did sign Tate though.

This can't be a true statement. Why make a post of 12 of 16 first round picks on offense? HMMM? STill have not seen you spin my post to that one?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you bringing up what Denver did vs. what Detroit has done? Detroit will never have an offense like Denver, because we don't have Peyton Manning. We can have as much talent at the skill positions as Denver, but it isn't going to mean we put up stats like Denver.

I love Stafford, but he is never going to be confused with Peyton. Peyton is one of the best all-time -- Stafford isn't even the best QB in his own conference.

This why I told LPSLC I am not the debator... It is senseless to debate you. I see where Tpaul says you constantly twist make you look good. By the thoughts of Manning and Stafford, never compared the guys. Compared the games and outcome. How can use the height of WR as being a standard? It fits the arguement. Don't compare Watkins height verse CJ. Not allowed, he is elite and one the best.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And its dumb to say this team did this to that team....

In the NFL any given sunday a team can play their best and beat anyone....id bet if denver and seattle played 10 times, denver would win more....and i hate denver...i just think seattle played the game of their lives...

Never been the guy to easily make a point. Probably could have said this instead. One game against Saints doesn't sum up a hole season. Just like this past SB.