• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what WR in the NFL right now do you think Watkins is comparable to? what kind of stats do you believe Watkins is going to put up in the NFL? i'm just curious to hear what you think his ceiling is going to be.

I think he is a bigger version of Steve Smith of Carolina when he was in his prime. Not sure if someone on this board said it or I just read it somewhere. But I think that is the most accurate.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is a game-breaker. I'm not sure why you're so persistent with arguing that Watkins isnt elite when the world-wide view states otherwise. I dont blame the Lions one bit for being interested.

I'm not saying he won't be a game-breaker. I'm just saying he isn't a 'can't miss' type of guy needed to trade up for. I asked you to tell me who in the NFL he reminds you of and you couldn't even give an answer. It is because, he is a tweener. He is either going to be a big slot or smallish outside WR. He has speed, but doesn't have the vertical or length of the elite WRs in the NFL right now.

People have projected he will be great, but the majority of the plays he made in college were made on screens, which won't be the case in the NFL. He rarely, if ever, faced bump and run coverage, as only basically Alabama runs it on a consistent basis. He has a lot of question marks for a player we are seriously talking about trading up for.

I'm just pointing out my concerns with Watkins. That is all.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is a bigger version of Steve Smith of Carolina when he was in his prime. Not sure if someone on this board said it or I just read it somewhere. But I think that is the most accurate.

Yes that is also a fair comparison, but I dont think he has Smiths ability to win balls at the height of the throw.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is a game-breaker. I'm not sure why you're so persistent with arguing that Watkins isnt elite when the world-wide view states otherwise. I dont blame the Lions one bit for being interested.

At the college level his style is much more successful than at the pro level. He wont be running away from anyone in the NFL like he could in college. The rest of the world can think what they want. They are free to be wrong.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I believe the Watkins hype. The same amount of gushing was done over Tavon Austin last year and he doesn't exactly look like a game-breaker yet. I get nervous about a lot of the draft analysis each year other than measurables and college production. Watkins hasn't dominated the college world for 3 full years or anything.

I am a bit more with the analyses that say he'll be a borderline #1WR/good #2WR and I wouldn't want to break the bank for that.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure I understand the logic behind college players not being able to do what they did in college. If not, why are we even having a draft or discussing player's abilities and such? Its like saying Clowney won't be able to sack people like he did in college and Mack wont be able to tackle like he did.

Though Austin and Watkins have similarities, they are different players. Plus, the Rams sucked.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the college level his style is much more successful than at the pro level. He wont be running away from anyone in the NFL like he could in college. The rest of the world can think what they want. They are free to be wrong.

There will still be slow ass corners, slow ass safeties, and slow ass linebackers in the NFL. Not every player all of a sudden becomes lightning fast bc he's in the NFL.

And yes, I know overall players are faster. But Watkins isn't gonna start sucking. There's a reason he's rated as one of the top wideouts in the draft b

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will still be slow ass corners, slow ass safeties, and slow ass linebackers in the NFL. Not every player all of a sudden becomes lightning fast bc he's in the NFL.

And yes, I know overall players are faster. But Watkins isn't gonna start sucking. There's a reason he's rated as one of the top wideouts in the draft b

Had he faced Houston last season he would look all-pro. Had he faced the Lions secondary as a hole last season may have been all-world. This may be my reasons for wanting a CB or S in the draft. Starting to put Ha Ha Dix in front of Gilbert. Yes Tpaul I know, not worth the 10th pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who are the slow ass cornerbacks and safeties he will be playing against? I'm just curious what you consider slow.

Read the comments from just about every rookie who comes into the NFL and one of the 1st things they say is one of the hardest things to get acclimated to is the speed of the game. Every position is faster than it was in college.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had he faced Houston last season he would look all-pro. Had he faced the Lions secondary as a hole last season may have been all-world.

You know I'm tired when I read your comment and think to myself -- I wonder why he thought Houston (Texans) had a bad pass defense. They actually had one of the top pass defenses in the league.

Then it kicked in that you were talking about Chris Houston. My little boy has decided the last two nights that he would get up at all hours to party. Daddy is struggling with some sleep deprivation right now.:laugh3:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure I understand the logic behind college players not being able to do what they did in college.

Ask every bust drafted in the 1st round why they haven't been able to do everything they did in college at the NFL level.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix would be the perfect Centerfielder safety valve for likes of Cordarrelle Patterson, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, Jordy Nelson when they get by our CB's bc it's going to happen. Quin could slide over to slot/nickel replacing the ever PI/Holding penalty ridden mistake of Bentley.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper's ESPN insider Mock 4.0 (two rounds)

10 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Detroit Lions (7-9)

COLLEGE: Alabama Class: Jr HT: 6-1 WT: 208 POS: S
i

Analysis: The addition of James Ihedigbo in free agency doesn't diminish Detroit's need for more help at safety. Getting the top free safety in the draft, a guy who will distinguish himself with his ability to cover with great range, fills a pretty big personnel void for Detroit, and this isn't much of a leap in terms of where Clinton-Dix's name is stacked on most draft boards. I do think Detroit could consider a corner here, I just see Clinton-Dix as a better player and a likelier early impact maker for a team that should feel like it can be in the playoff picture if it can be better in coverage. The depth at CB in this draft means the Lions can add one later.

45. Detroit Lions | Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
The Lions get the top safety in the draft in Round 1 and then get the needed addition at corner in Round 2. Jean-Baptiste has safety size.

BB_72... Kiper and McShay both have the Lions drafting Clinton-Dix in their new Mock Drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I need to look for another guy. Can't stand neither one of the guys! Love watching the all knowing guessing game come day 2 and 3 only to be wrong.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I need to look for another guy. Can't stand neither one of the guys! Love watching the all knowing guessing game come day 2 and 3 only to be wrong.

Yeah, all speculation at this point. I just want Mayhew to draft AT LEAST ONE player on defense (preferably in the back 7) in the first two rounds. It's still a crap shoot but with the draft being a deep as it is, we should have a damn good chance to land a couple starting caliber players in the top 45 picks.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah just like last year where pretty much everyone was wrong....i remember how bad kiper, mcshay and the rest did lst year at predicting the draft.....

I just love how all the wannabe kipers say about how they watched the tape or this guy doesnt do this or that.....all while sitting on their ass everyday typing on a cpu 24 hrs a day....

Now i really hope the lions trade up and get watkins....or clowney. Either will do...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the power move that will make the Lions a powerful team, Cleaves. If it happens, Lions fans wont regret it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the power move that will make the Lions a powerful team, Cleaves. If it happens, Lions fans wont regret it.

Calvin Johnson was a #2 overall pick. Ndamakung Suh was a #2 overall pick. Matthew Stafford was the #1 overall pick. Ziggy Ansah was a #5 overall pick. Reggie Bush was a #2 overall pick.

What makes you think that with 4 guys drafted 1 or 2 overall and another guy drafted #5 overall, that drafting Watkins will make the Lions a powerful team?

Detroit record since we drafted Calvin Johnson is: 36-76
Detroit record since we drafted Matthew Stafford is: 29-51
Detroit record since we drafted Ndamakung Suh is: 27-37

One player isn't going to change the Lions into a super bowl contender. It will make the offense entertaining to watch, but the defense will still have the same deficiencies they have had. Until Detroit tries to upgrade weaknesses, instead of upgrading strengths -- we are going to continue to have holes to fill.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or are you saying we should trade up for Mack or Clowney too? I think either player will make the Lions a better overall team than Watkins.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think that with 4 guys drafted 1 or 2 overall and another guy drafted #5 overall, that drafting Watkins will make the Lions a powerful team?
Hes already explained it, multiple times.