• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson WR Sammy Watkins had a pre-draft visit with the Lions on Tuesday.

The Lions are serious about upgrading their receiving corps and have been linked to Watkins and Texas A&M WR Mike Evans quite a bit. In the house for Watkins' visit were Vice Chairman Bill Ford Jr., Calvin Johnson, and Golden Tate. The Lions currently hold the No. 10 overall pick in next month's draft and would almost certainly have to trade up to No. 2 or 3 to secure Watkins.

Apr 8 - 2:55 PM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that is a smokescreen stating they almost certainly would have to trade up to #2 or #3... I'm not buying into Stl or Jax wanting Watkins. Stl could go many routes in drafting an elite draft prospect. Jax will get their future QB having only Chad Henne signed for two years and he's been injury prone. Cleveland could be a team to worry about drafting Watkins but I still think they get their QB at #4.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know Bill Ford Jr was there. The Rams pick 2 and 13 so I could see them thinking about Watkins. They did sign Britt though.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know Bill Ford Jr was there. The Rams pick 2 and 13 so I could see them thinking about Watkins. They did sign Britt though.

Yeah I mean, CJ and Bill ford Jr is enough to have me convinced they are going up to get him.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah but we signed Tate also. Doesn't mean they wouldn't entertain the thought of taking Watkins also.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Watkins is worth moving up to 2 or 3 for. However if he falls to 5 or 6 I think it might be worth moving up to get him.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is deep in WR. I do think Watkins is a #1 WR and would make an heir appear ant to CJ, but not at the cost of a second round player.

Detroit can get a solid WR in the second or even third round.

It's funny the Lions need some depth at WR they otherwise have a pretty good rotation with ...CJ and Tate. But the thought of drafting Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan as a LT sends people into a tail spin and the tackle position is about as set as the WR spot!

I do believe Mayhew is spewing BS and these advertised meetings are for other teams consumption. How many times have the Lions drafted guys they never met with? I smell bullshit but thats just my 2 cents.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jdwillis,

You can find good WRs outside of the first round but you cant find a Watkins in every draft. Thats the difference. I know a lot of people dont like the idea of trading for him but if thats the case, why not just wait and see how the plan shakes out? If they get him, I know most of you will change your tune once the media starts saying how good the Lions will be. Lol

The Lions are doing a awful lot to be calling it BS. Why on earth would they bluff about Watkins when they pick at ten? Why waste all that time on him? If they like another player, wouldnt it just be easier to be quiet about it?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolling,

By saying that, you would have to assume the deal is already done. If not, they cannot be sure they will get him. He could go anywhere between 2 and 10, IMO. If the Rams have him rated #2 on their board, they will take him.

Rams would probably ask for the 1st, 3rd, one of the 4th and probably next years 1st for the Lions to come up.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an excerpt from the Freep regarding WR's. Doesn't say Watkins/Evans but you get the jest of it

Receiver: One of the common themes that keeps surfacing in regards to the Lions’ need at receiver is grooming an eventual replacement for Calvin Johnson. He is getting closer to 30 years old and has taken a lot of punishment over the last few seasons. I believe this need has less to do with preparing for Johnson’s decline and more to do with delaying it. The Lions need alternate weapons for Matthew Stafford and to lessen the reliance on Megatron. Johnson isn’t near his decline yet, but if he keeps getting targeted on 60% of Stafford’s throws every season, it will come sooner than later. The Lions also have seen what happens to Stafford without Johnson, they need to have more targets that Stafford trusts. It’s no mistake that Golden Tate has the best catch-to-drop ratio in the NFL over the last few years and he was the Lions’ top target over flashier options. This need is about building up a receiving corps rather than having to be over reliant on one player. I would be shocked if the Lions enter Day 3 of the draft without picking a receiver.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is deep in WR. I do think Watkins is a #1 WR and would make an heir appear ant to CJ, but not at the cost of a second round player.

Detroit can get a solid WR in the second or even third round.

It's funny the Lions need some depth at WR they otherwise have a pretty good rotation with ...CJ and Tate. But the thought of drafting Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan as a LT sends people into a tail spin and the tackle position is about as set as the WR spot!

I do believe Mayhew is spewing BS and these advertised meetings are for other teams consumption. How many times have the Lions drafted guys they never met with? I smell bullshit but thats just my 2 cents.
:agree::10:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my exact thought process and what Ive been trying to say all along. Some fans keep insisting that we dont need that because we have CJ- they want the beatings to continue.

The Lions have relied upon him so much that its time for a change. What people always seem to forget is that this is good for business also.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, go back and find all the guys the Lions "have" drafted that they met with.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OT group also has some youth there and the Lions are benefiting greatly from the low contracts they are paying.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jdwillis,
The Lions are doing a awful lot to be calling it BS. Why on earth would they bluff about Watkins when they pick at ten? Why waste all that time on him? If they like another player, wouldnt it just be easier to be quiet about it?

I agree. They would have to trade up to get him in the first place, so who are they trying to fool?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant see a situation where Mayhew would tell his entire staff to try and trick 31other teams into believing they like Watkins. Why do that? Mayhew has had plenty of opportunities to tell the media that they really like Watkins if he wanted everyone to know. This is what the reporters are telling us. It would be a lot easier and cheaper for Mayhew to tell everyone they are drafting Watkins if he wanted to BS everyone.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right jayfan.

It would be much smarter to bluff about Evans or Ebron or Barr- guys that might be available at ten. All I know is that they did much of the same before they took Stafford.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that we're not drafting Dennard at #10... despite a certain guarantee that we were going to do just that...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, go back and find all the guys the Lions "have" drafted that they met with.

Last year was different than previous years. The coaching staff worked the Senior Bowl so that was pretty much Ansah and Warford right there. You can add Slay, Mike Williams, Sam Martin and Waddle (even tho he was a UDFA). Maybe it's different now that Xanders is here. Here's the list from last year; 2013 Detroit Lions pre-draft visit tracker - Pride Of Detroit

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolling,

By saying that, you would have to assume the deal is already done. If not, they cannot be sure they will get him. He could go anywhere between 2 and 10, IMO. If the Rams have him rated #2 on their board, they will take him.

Rams would probably ask for the 1st, 3rd, one of the 4th and probably next years 1st for the Lions to come up.

And that kind of move would set the lions back five years.