• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because we're bringing guys in doesn't mean we are looking at them at #10. Guys like Fuller and Roby have zero shot of being drafted at 10, but if one happens to slip to #45 we want to know as much about them as possible, hence the visits...

IMO adding that Mayhew may never trade down, but he could if it's a offer to hard not to take. Need to look at guys for late 1st round pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to gauge those players that had a great year followed by a rough year. That's exactly what happened to Roby. Some experts still think he belongs in the 1st round, so at 45, he could be a steal. Im kind of partial on him myself, but I think he could fit at the right price.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO adding that Mayhew may never trade down, but he could if it's a offer to hard not to take. Need to look at guys for late 1st round pick.

Agree with this statement. I honestly think a trade down is more likely than a trade up, depending on how they feel about the Suh extension getting done.

I just think, the price at #2 overall is going to be too high come draft day. In one of the deepest drafts in recent memory, those picks are more valuable than ever. St. Louis will do exactly what they did last year and sell to the highest bidder and stock pile draft picks.

The Rams are going to be a very good team in a year or two if Bradford ever develops. A defense with Robert Quinn and Long at the ends, Michael Brocker on the DL, Alex Ogletree and Laurinitis at LB, Jenkins at CB. And they have the #2 and #13 picks overall.

Put them in any division other than NFC West and I bet them are a playoff team. I would HATE to be in the Rams shoes having to face Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona twice a year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to gauge those players that had a great year followed by a rough year. That's exactly what happened to Roby. Some experts still think he belongs in the 1st round, so at 45, he could be a steal. Im kind of partial on him myself, but I think he could fit at the right price.

Absolutely agree -- he was great last year and a lock to be one of the top CBs off the board. I'm not sure what happened to him this past year. He was victimized any time OSU played a team with a good WR. Abrederris made him look silly, as did Watkins.

His physical attributes though are what GM's love. He is one of the fastest CBs running a sub 4.4 and his lateral movements in the 3 cone drill were off the charts, and he is solidly built at 5'11" 195.

His 3 cone is what stands out about him, as it tests your quickness and lateral movements. To put in perspective how well he tested in that -- He ran a 6.74, while Watkins ran 6.95. The top two CBs being talked about Dennard and Gilbert both ran 7.05 or 7.07.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they have serious interest in Roby -- I pray it isn't anywhere near the 1st round. The guy was absolutely toasted by Jeremy Gaillon (9 catches 175 yards 1 td), Abrederris (10 catches 207 1 td) and Watkins (16 catches 207 yards 1 td).

Just wondering, did you see those games or stat sheet? I didn't see all of them. Can't remember was he playing off or man press? Either way lot of YAC. Only takes a couple decent executed screens to make stat sheet lopsided.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only takes a couple decent executed screens to make stat sheet lopsided.

Abrederris was all over the field -- it was to the point, the announcers even said, OSU knows Wisconsin is throwing the ball to Abrederris and they can't do anything about it.

Watkins was a lot of underneath stuff, but 16 catches is 16 catches.

The reason I listed Gaillon, but didn't mention him specifically in my last post is, like you said, he had a big gainer (like 70 yards on a quick hitter the first play of the game). UM's passing offense wasn't very good last year though, sans a couple games and one of them was against OSU.

If I'm not mistaken -- Roby was a 1st team all-american last year and this year, many said the only reason he was all-big ten is because OSU was undefeated in conference play until the B1G championship game.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i watched the replay of the wisconsin/ohio state game and that was when abrederris shot up my list of guys i would like the Lions to get in the 3rd or 4th round.

the guy just gets open and he catches everything thrown his way.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they read our stuff all the time.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list of the upper echelon NFL receivers will contain the following names in some order: Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Gordon, Dez Bryant and Larry Fitzgerald. All of those players have varying styles, play in different offenses with different quarterbacks, but they all share one common thread. They are all physically imposing players. The average height and weight of those nine players is a little over 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds. There are other game-breaking receivers that don’t possess that size, but when you look at the consistently elite receivers, they almost all have similar builds. Watkins is 6-0 and 211 pounds. He’s not a small receiver, but he does lack the stature of those upper echelon players

I think he stole these comments from me.:laugh3:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that do what their fans want, and give in to the pull of instant gratification, suffer in the long run. And by long run, I mean within the next two to three years. The Falcons being the most recent victim of this strategy. They got better for a year, then declined when some of their better defensive players left via free agency, and they didn't have the draft picks to replace at some level.

To this point Mayhew has made some mistakes, but he hasn't done anything monumentally stupid. If he trades picks to move up in this draft to take anybody, I'll join DrEviler in calling him Millenhew.

And I can't believe that with Mayhew's track record in drafting WRs, that anyone wants him to take one in the first round.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I can't believe that with Mayhew's track record in drafting WRs, that anyone wants him to take one in the first round.

I'm thinking his track record for drafting WR's is the MAIN reason why he wants to trade up and take the best one available. Even in a draft that has over a dozen WR's with 1st and 2nd round grades -- he'd still find a way to screw up the pick if he doesn't draft one in the 1st round. At least with his 1st round picks -- he has done quite well -- mostly because they have been picking in the top half of the draft most of the time. Outside of the Jahvid Bust pick -- the rest have at least been very productive.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew wants one of the elite prospects, the fans are the one's making it all about the WR. Its really not even a big deal. Some fans would love to see some elite talent around CJ finally. Personally, I could care less about all the other WRs he picked.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought of another reason why they might want to trade up.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bit of reach if you are comparing Titus or Derrick Williams to Watkins or Evans. Don't want WR in first round, although his bad history is after the elite studs are gone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I could care less about all the other WRs he picked.

It is 'couldn't' care less, sorry to correct you, but it is a pet peeve of mine.:laugh3:

In actuality -- if you are a Lions fan, which I'm guessing you absolutely are -- you not only should care, you should care a lot. In the past 5 years, our GM has spent pick after pick trying to find a quality WR to pair up with Calvin Johnson, only to fail miserably. He also spent top picks trying to draft a running game.

In both cases -- the team has had to go out spend valuable cap space to fix his mistakes, while having to get by with lesser talent elsewhere. Detroit has basically wasted a 1st, 3 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick trying to upgrade the offense. 3 of those picks are out of the NFL already. One has had 3 major surgeries the past 3 years, including one he was still recovering from when the Lions drafted him. The other stood on the sidelines all last year.

So I would most definitely care about the poor drafting by our GM -- it is the reason we are spending our cap space on FA to upgrade the offense the past two seasons.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew has made some mistakes for sure, but that's not all I see. In a way, I admire his efforts to to risk to improve the team. If those things would've panned out, he would look great but s just since they didn't, he looks bad. Him and his scouting department really missed on some thing.

You really think Mayhew should stop drafting WRs just because of past failure? Do you really think he would draft more if the roster already had good ones?