• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another thing:

How can the Lions upgrade the starting 22 the possible way within the top ten picks? By "best", consider positions of need, talent and value and how it lines up with the top ten players available. Also account for what opportunities exist.

WR and OLB are the two areas that can be most improved due to elite prospects, Mack and Watkins. High value, high impact guys that you continue to build around or add to strengths of the team. Lions should start here, considering the value and the opportunity they may have to trade up from 10.

Evans and Barr are also ideal prospects that provide major upgrades and should be considered at 10 or earlier if the team feels stongly enough about them. A trade up might be required for Evans. OT, TE and CB are other areas that offer the Lions upgrades within the top ten prospects.

Lewan seems to fit but only if the Lions (not the fans) are ok with shifting the line around. A talent like Ebron easily comes in as the best TE on the roster and fits the offensive scheme. Gilbert may be able to come in and take a starting role but again, the Lions would have to decide what Houstons role is.

The best way to come out of this is to grab the best player possible, regardless of position. Especially when speaking of elite. The way the Lions team breaks down as far as needs, its a combination of WR, OLB, CB, with TE and OT being other areas that can be upgraded with the 10th pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

Taking him to dinner might mean its a smokescreen because the team would be showing their hand. To me, this clearly means Lions are willing to move up.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, this clearly means Lions are willing to move up.

I don't doubt that the Lions are willing to move up. IMO, the only two players in this draft worth moving up and trading away valuable draft picks are Mack or Clowney. Both players that will upgrade the defense.

I just can't get on board the WR train in the 1st round. I like both Watkins and Evans, but if I was the GM of the Lions and I have Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate already, while holding a top 10 pick -- I would be looking to add an elite talent elsewhere on the team. Or I wouldn't have signed Golden Tate, in the first place.

I think if Detroit trades up for Evans or Watkins -- it will make the team entertaining to watch and we may go from a top 5 passing team to a top 3 passing team, but in the end, we are going to have to play defense too and it is a unit that is in need of play makers, be it at CB, OLB, Safety or DE.

As I said -- I think if we draft Watkins or Evans, we have a great shot to get to the playoffs. Once there though -- if Detroit has to face an offense like a New Orleans, Atlanta, Green Bay, who have multiple weapons -- they will get ripped to shreds. We got to see what Drew Brees did to the Lions in the playoffs once already. How are the Lions going to stop Julio Jones, Roddy White, Harry Douglas with our secondary right now? I think you get what I am saying.

Maybe some fans think much more highly of the Lions defense than I do. They ranked middle of the road, but also had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. The top 3 QBs they faced last year (Romo, Rothlesberger and Rodgers) in 3 games had 8 touchdowns and no interceptions with a QB rating well over 100.0. These are type of QBs we are going to face in the playoffs. That is why I have harped about going defense early and often.

Detroit has more than enough firepower on offense to hang with anyone, especially with the addition of Golden Tate. I don't have the same faith in the Lions defense. I think they are a solid defense when playing weak offenses, but they are exposed when they face good QBs.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has to type anymore responses. re-read your own posts and then read back through this thread until you find the rebuttal.

Dead Horse? We already beat the shit out of it...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please, I would like to know you guys idea this guy won't be a bad ass? Guy is like a Julius Peppers clone but maybe even more athletic. I'd take my chances.

Watching NFL network talking about him saying JJWatt and such won't let him be lazy. This may be true for some clubs. The Lions might be wrong franchise for that theory. Fairley seems to have fallen through cracks of captains making him responsible. So what makes you think if he is lazy, the Lions locker room can correct it?

Small things turn GM's and coaches off. This is no small knock. The anonamous GM might be Falcons hoping he drops. I guess we will find out if they are right or not.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has to type anymore responses. re-read your own posts and then read back through this thread until you find the rebuttal.

Dead Horse? We already beat the shit out of it...

I was actually going ask someone to start new thread. The one that gives us another 200 posts on same shit.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please, I would like to know you guys idea this guy won't be a bad ass? Guy is like a Julius Peppers clone but maybe even more athletic. I'd take my chances.

Nobody is questioning his talent. It's what lies between his ears that concerns us (or me, at least).

See your above post about Fairley... sums up a lot of concerns about Clowney...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustMe

How would you feel if you were a Vikings fan after reading the following about a player whose age and cap hit both would be a concern, especially from a player on offense.

this from a FoxSports article.
Peterson, the league's top paid running back courtesy of a seven-year, $96 million contract signed in 2011, counts as a $14.4 million salary-cap hit for Minnesota. Peterson still has guarantees through next season when he will count $15.4 million against the cap. He accounts for $15 million against the cap in 2016 and $15 million in 2017, when he will be 32 years old.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new on Ndamukong Suh contract front; Detroit Lions president still optimistic | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

here's a couple statements from this article should you not want to read all of it;

Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand did not offer an update on contract talks between the team and star defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh at a town hall meeting for season-ticket holders tonight, but he once again sounded optimistic that a deal will get done.

Lewand said talks, which started late last month and are still in the early stages, have been “more on the civil and productive side of the spectrum” than most negotiations he’s been a part of.

“I have a lot of confidence in (agent Jimmy Sexton), I have a lot of confidence in Ndamukong,” Lewand said. “I’ve said a few times, it’s been my experience over the years, when a player says he wants to be here and we indicate that we want him around, we have a good track record of finding success.

“When that happens, I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter. The timing is less important than the outcome, and as long as the outcome is right both for Ndamukong and for us then I think he can be a part of the core of our team for a long time.”

Suh, 27, is entering the final year of his rookie contract and is expected to command a long-term deal that makes him one of the highest paid defensive players of all time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty good read on particulars of the draft. Verifies some of the statements LionStop has made.

A little insight on Detroit Lions' draft (and/or trade) strategies | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

White said the Lions already have their preliminary draft board in place, but with draft meetings picking up Tuesday the front office will cycle through every possible scenario in the build up to next month’s draft.

“Obviously I won’t tell you who we’re drafting, but I can tell you we’re going to be drafting a player who’s going to be high integrity, a guy with a high motor, a guy that finishes well,” White said. “(Last year we lost) six games out of seven where we did not finish, so we’re going to be looking for closers this year. We looked for them in free agency, guys that have been there, guys that will not quit. We need some more. We have some now, but we need more.”

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty good read on particulars of the draft. Verifies some of the statements LionStop has made.

A little insight on Detroit Lions' draft (and/or trade) strategies | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

White said the Lions already have their preliminary draft board in place, but with draft meetings picking up Tuesday the front office will cycle through every possible scenario in the build up to next month’s draft.

“Obviously I won’t tell you who we’re drafting, but I can tell you we’re going to be drafting a player who’s going to be high integrity, a guy with a high motor, a guy that finishes well,” White said. “(Last year we lost) six games out of seven where we did not finish, so we’re going to be looking for closers this year. We looked for them in free agency, guys that have been there, guys that will not quit. We need some more. We have some now, but we need more.”

So basically, they might do anything. Glad I read the entire article to find that out.

The only thing they say really is that they wont take players with character issues. This eliminates almost no one in the first round. Clowney is the only one who "reportedly" is a risk. Many in SC say the reports are blown way out of proportion.

The onlt thing they don't mention is trading back which would be the smartest thing to do. We already have a potential trade partner. That is not Mayhews style though. He wants a shiny new toy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Kyle Fuller visits Detroit, could join brother on Lions | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

from a Freep article;

The Lions have done plenty of homework on defensive backs in the buildup to the draft and need help at both cornerback and safety.
General manager Martin Mayhew attended Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert’s pro day, defensive coordinator Teryl Austin worked out Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard, and the Lions reportedly have serious interest in Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby.

BB_72....I hope to hell this isn't true (in bold). I'd rather draft Gilbert than Roby, JMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to LionStop stating they already have their preliminary draft board made up. I should have highlighted that part. My bad..

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Kyle Fuller visits Detroit, could join brother on Lions | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

from a Freep article;

The Lions have done plenty of homework on defensive backs in the buildup to the draft and need help at both cornerback and safety.
General manager Martin Mayhew attended Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert’s pro day, defensive coordinator Teryl Austin worked out Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard, and the Lions reportedly have serious interest in Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby.

BB_72....I hope to hell this isn't true (in bold). I'd rather draft Gilbert than Roby, JMO.

I would even rather have Fuller than Roby never mind Gilbert.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh, 27, is entering the final year of his rookie contract and is expected to command a long-term deal that makes him one of the highest paid defensive players of all time.

If Detroit gives him a deal that makes him one of the highest paid defensive players of all time -- They had better start finding really good cheap players in the draft for the defense, or we are going to be looking at the same type of performances we've seen the last couple years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Lions reportedly have serious interest in Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby.

If they have serious interest in Roby -- I pray it isn't anywhere near the 1st round. The guy was absolutely toasted by Jeremy Gaillon (9 catches 175 yards 1 td), Abrederris (10 catches 207 1 td) and Watkins (16 catches 207 yards 1 td).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they have serious interest in Roby -- I pray it isn't anywhere near the 1st round. The guy was absolutely toasted by Jeremy Gaillon (9 catches 175 yards 1 td), Abrederris (10 catches 207 1 td) and Watkins (16 catches 207 yards 1 td).

:agree:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to LionStop stating they already have their preliminary draft board made up.

Every team has a preliminary draft board done, I would hope -- the draft is 3 weeks away.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because we're bringing guys in doesn't mean we are looking at them at #10. Guys like Fuller and Roby have zero shot of being drafted at 10, but if one happens to slip to #45 we want to know as much about them as possible, hence the visits...