• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With them picking at 10, seems to be in the range of reaching for guys. As stated many times. The top CB and S duos may not be worthy. Donald or a 3rd WR talent reaching for OLB. I do feel they are moving via trade. Up or down is the question?

My reasoning is with the talk of QB's falling. Browns taking elite player at 4 then a QB at 26. Texans taking Clowney then a QB at 33. With the earlier hopes of 3 or 4 QB's taken in top 9 to help talent fall to Lions may not happen. Minny might be the only team taking QB ahead of us.

I do agree with Lionstop, they move up to 7 for Evans. That is where he is gone if not IMO.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offensive line was good. Why mess with it? Especially since we found a gem in Waddle. RR at LT and Waddle at RT will be a duo to mess with if they can replicate last yr. The only weakness on our line IMO, is a big, strong Center. I'd like to draft one in the 3rd round or so. I would also be dissapointed with donald at 10. We have much bigger weaknesses. The pick should be WR (not really a weakness, but would make our offense deadly), or Secondary, and maybe LB if Mack somehow decides to fall. I've seen Barr's draft stock fall miserably. I think walterfootball has him falling to the 2nd round.

Why would the lions be messing with the oline by adding a T. If T is BPA, they need to take him. The oline was good, but that doesnt necessarily mean they will be good again. We have seen Levy suck for years and dominate last year, houston play great and then play awful. We cant count on reiff and waddle to duplicate their success. There are only two sure things on the lions imo, CJ and suh.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are dreaming if you think we are selecting a DT in the 1st round without trading Suh or Fairly. And what is with the O-Line talk. That is not happening either without a trade. We have LB/DE, WR, and CB. Thats most likely it.

And we just resigned Mathis so I think CB becomes even less of a chance.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are dreaming if you think we are selecting a DT in the 1st round without trading Suh or Fairly. And what is with the O-Line talk. That is not happening either without a trade. We have LB/DE, WR, and CB. Thats most likely it.

I could see them taking DT. With the future of both starting DT's in limbo. Writing on wall looks as if Fairley is gone via trade or FA, so yes I can see them doing it. I also see S as a pick. Even with signing of Ihedigbo, having Carey as 3rd safety could surely use new blood.

OL talk... probably running out of shit to stew conversation...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them taking DT. With the future of both starting DT's in limbo. Writing on wall looks as if Fairley is gone via trade or FA, so yes I can see them doing it. I also see S as a pick. Even with signing of Ihedigbo, having Carey as 3rd safety could surely use new blood.

OL talk... probably running out of shit to stew conversation...

But Ifs and butts dont change anything for this year. They could both resign. We dont have a starting quality OLB and #2 WR NOW. Forget about next year's shortcomings. Lets deal with todays problems first and then tomorrows after that.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really trying to start a fight with Tpaul but I would not be happy if we picked Donald at #10. Not when you have TWO top 13 picks starting already at DT. Also, DT is not that important of a position to spend that many high picks on. I'd rather draft Manziel than Donald.

I get where you're coming from, but what are we going to do after this season without Fairley?

Also, I don't agree that DT isn't that important of a position to merit spending high picks on. Yes, we've dedicated two top-15 picks to that spot in the last 5 years, but one of them didn't pan out, and now has to be replaced...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take needs out of the scenario with that #10 pick.

Any other picks it factors in far more heavily, but picking in the top-ten is about adding the best talent possible, imo...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Ifs and butts dont change anything for this year. They could both resign. We dont have a starting quality OLB and #2 WR NOW. Forget about next year's shortcomings. Lets deal with todays problems first and then tomorrows after that.
Um, Golden Tate?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offense is all signed for multiple years -- Bush has 3 more years on his deal, Bell has three more years on his deal, Calvin has 4 or 5 more years on his deal, Tate has 5 years left on his deal, Pettigrew has 4 years left on his deal, Stafford has a lot of years left on his deal (not sure how much). Same goes for Warford and Reiff. The one player on offense who is gone next year most likely is Raoila.

So our offense is going to be good for quite a few years. Do we pass up an elite talent at CB because a lot of CBs struggle their rookie season or do we add an elite talent to the position, who even though they may struggle their rookie year, will still be better than the CBs we have on our roster right now.

Just because theyre signed dont mean they will produce at a high level....football, your career can go downhill real fast....

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the lions be messing with the oline by adding a T. If T is BPA, they need to take him. The oline was good, but that doesnt necessarily mean they will be good again. We have seen Levy suck for years and dominate last year, houston play great and then play awful. We cant count on reiff and waddle to duplicate their success. There are only two sure things on the lions imo, CJ and suh.

Matthews or Robinson and possibly Lewan (even tho he's not popular on our boards with all the off-field garbage) is an upgrade over Reiff. "Should their board have any of these players as BPA" when it comes to #10, they would be the pick most likely outside of a trade down scenario. LG Sims is a UFA in 2015 as well as Hilliard. Should any of those three "possibly make it to #10 and they are selected" then training camp will tell where they'd play with the possibility of Reiff moving to LG as Mayhew and Schwartz stated last year Reiff could play "All Five OL Positions".

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So long as we don't trade up, I can live with whomever we select at #10, even if I don't agree with the pick. If we were closer to being a Super Bowl quality roster, I'd feel more comfortable with trading up as the move that might get us over. But with our holes, and across-the-board thinness, we're not there, and foregoing draft picks would be counterproductive to us getting there.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because theyre signed dont mean they will produce at a high level....football, your career can go downhill real fast....

the oldest skill position player the Lions have is Reggie Bush, who just turned 29, but only has 3 or 4 years where he was used as a full time RB, so he hasn't taken the abuse most running backs at age 29 have.

After that (this is going off memory, so I may be off a year, here or there) -- we have Stafford at 24, Calvin at 28, Golden Tate at 25, Joique Bell at 27, Pettigrew at 28, Fauria at 24, LeShoure at 24.

It isn't as if Detroit's skill position players are even close to having their production fall off. About the only one I could see it being possible is Pettigrew, as the Lions seem destined to spend a top pick on another WR, so he may end up being the odd man out, as Fauria seems to be the red zone target.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about next year's shortcomings. Lets deal with todays problems first and then tomorrows after that.

AMEN -- so let's put to bed the talk about drafting Watkins as Calvin's replacement 4 or 5 years down the road. We can get that 3rd WR filled with a quality player in the 3rd round and use the 1st two rounds to make the weak link of the Lions better (the defense).

Am I convincing anyone yet that drafting a WR is a mistake with another top pick?:laugh3:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to downplay the signing of Mathis, as unfortunately for us Lions fan, at 33 years old, he was the best CB we had on the team last year. I can say with pretty much certainty -- that the signing of a CB who will be 34 in 4 months isn't going to sway the Lions decision in the least bit with their draft picks.

Now if Mathis was 24 years old -- I could get on board with that line of thinking.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews or Robinson and possibly Lewan (even tho he's not popular on our boards with all the off-field garbage) is an upgrade over Reiff. "Should their board have any of these players as BPA" when it comes to #10, they would be the pick most likely outside of a trade down scenario. LG Sims is a UFA in 2015 as well as Hilliard. Should any of those three "possibly make it to #10 and they are selected" then training camp will tell where they'd play with the possibility of Reiff moving to LG as Mayhew and Schwartz stated last year Reiff could play "All Five OL Positions".

Agree 100% -- not only would any of these three be upgrades over Reiff, who is a solid player, but they would be big upgrades over Waddle.

Also -- as was stated, with Reiff being able to play multiple positions on the OL, he could be easily moved to RT. If they get Mathews, like Reiff, he too, can play all 5 positions on the OL.

In all honesty -- the only OL I would like to see the Lions get would be Greg Robinson, as he is the graded as the best run blocker and would immediately upgrade our running game. Maybe then, the Lions wouldn't have to rely on throwing the ball on 3rd and 1's over and over and over.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% -- not only would any of these three be upgrades over Reiff, who is a solid player, but they would be big upgrades over Waddle.

Also -- as was stated, with Reiff being able to play multiple positions on the OL, he could be easily moved to RT. If they get Mathews, like Reiff, he too, can play all 5 positions on the OL.

In all honesty -- the only OL I would like to see the Lions get would be Greg Robinson, as he is the graded as the best run blocker and would immediately upgrade our running game. Maybe then, the Lions wouldn't have to rely on throwing the ball on 3rd and 1's over and over and over.[/QUOTE]

Our running game was a lot better last year than you keep giving it credit for. Throwing the ball so often on 3rd and short was much more a function of Linehan being an idiot than us having the inability to run it. Waddle and Warford graded out very well in their run blocking assignments, so we're not lacking for a run-blocking OT.

Not that I don't like Robinson, but he's also graded out as the best LT in the draft, so no chance we see him fall to #10...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waddle and Warford graded out very well in their run blocking assignments, so we're not lacking for a run-blocking OT.

We tied for 22nd in the NFL in YPC. Imagine what our running attack would be if we didn't have Calvin Johnson forcing teams to keep their safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage?

While the line was solid last year, when you take into consideration Stafford wasn't sacked very much -- They could very easily upgrade by drafting any of the three OT they have talked about as top 10 picks.

Obviously, Greg Robinson is my favorite of the 3, as he is the best run blocker of them. Any of them would be upgrades though over Reiff or Waddle.

If the Lions are truly drafting BPA and not taking team needs into the equation in the 1st round -- It is impossible to say an OT is out of the question at #10.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I convincing anyone yet that drafting a WR is a mistake with another top pick?
I can say without a doubt you'll never fully get everyone convinced. ;)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionstop1's top ten mock

1.Houston/Atlanta: Clowney goes #1 to either team.
2. Rams/Detroit: Watkins goes #2 regardless.
3. Jacksonville: Bortles goes at 3.
4.Cleveland: Manziel
5. Oakland: Mack
6. Atlanta: Robinson
7. Tampa: Matthews
8. Vikings: Carr
9. Buffalo: Ebron
10. Lions/Rams: Evans/Lewan

Have a great day. Lol

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionstop1's top ten mock

1.Houston/Atlanta: Clowney goes #1 to either team.
2. Rams/Detroit: Watkins goes #2 regardless.
3. Jacksonville: Bortles goes at 3.
4.Cleveland: Manziel
5. Oakland: Mack
6. Atlanta: Robinson
7. Tampa: Matthews
8. Vikings: Carr
9. Buffalo: Ebron
10. Lions/Rams: Evans/Lewan

Have a great day. Lol

Unless the following occurs;

4/2: The Rams are "falling in love" with Khalil Mack. They'll decide between him and Sammy Watkins if they stay at No. 2 and if Jadeveon Clowney is not on the board, according to Charlie Campbell. Go here for more in our NFL Draft Rumor Mill.

Mack would replace JoLonn Dunbar.