• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contributors Detroit Can Find in Every Round. Detroit Lions Mock Draft: Instant Contributors Detroit Can Find in Every Round | Bleacher Report

Let's clear this up right off the top...
Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans are not going to be around for the No. 10 overall pick. End of story.
Given that, the player who can make the biggest impact off the bat is one who doesn't get enough discussion as a potential Lions pick.
Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald would step right in and take over the third tackle role. In fact, if he shows motivation and consistency, he very well could usurp Nick Fairley's starting role before the end of the season.
Of course, given Fairley's tenuous future with the team, Donald could take over even sooner.
As highlighted in the above video, Donald offers versatility along the defensive line. That would allow the Lions to mix and match effective combinations up front.

Detroit Lions Mock Draft: Instant Contributors Detroit Can Find in Every Round | Bleacher Report

With the 45th overall pick, Detroit could have the chance to add a three-down linebacker who upgrades both the run defense and the pass rush.
BYU's Kyle Van Noy offers that kind of versatility and instant impact.
Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reported that the Lions are indeed in the market for an edge-rushing linebacker.
Taking Van Noy at No. 45 overall would add that player to the mix. His familiarity with Ansah at BYU could help him fit in the locker room.
If coach Jim Caldwell is to be taken at his word (quoted by Birkett) that the team is "...trying to find maybe a little bit different flavor in that regard, trying to find maybe another guy that can do it..." the third linebacker role is going to be a more prominent position going forward.
Van Noy could be the beneficiary of that increased opportunity. It's sketchy at this point if he will fall to the Lions, but if he does so, he has to be a strong consideration.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I guess all the tape NFL.com watched was senseless and useless for writings like the following coming from Mayock, Brooks and Jeremiah, not to mention McShay and Kiper. Donald was on the radar long before the combine. Player's are re-aligned constantly throughout the process pre-draft.

Aaron Donald earns another comparison to Geno Atkins - NFL.com

In July, at the ACC Football Media Days event, Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald said his NFL role model is Cincinnati's Geno Atkins.
It will make Donald happy, then, that NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock compared him to Atkins on NFL Network during Wednesday's coverage of the Reese's Senior Bowl practices. Another reason for Donald to smile is that Atkins signed a giant contract extension in September.

Fellow analyst Bucky Brooks made the Atkins comparison in November.

Donald measured in at 6-foot and 288 pounds during Monday's Senior Bowl weigh-in, and his lack of size is seen as a detriment by some scouts. But Donald's production this season was incredible; he finished with a nation-leading 28.5 tackles for loss and 11 sacks, and was a consensus first-team All-American.
Mayock called Donald an "explosive, one-gap penetrator" and said he fits best in a four-man front. Specifically, Mayock said Donald fits best on a team that is aggressive with its four-man front.

Really they are great when they agree with you and talking heads when they don't?

The same could have been said about Mike Mamula.

Donald a DE listed at Pitt will move to DT in the pros and is light by all standards. Donal is great athlete but no one ever mistaken Albert Haynesworth for a well conditioned athlete and he was great for a period.

Donald was behind Jernigan, Nix, and Hagerman. I believe he was about # 30-35 overall. He has made huge strides based upon no pads, tape was the same before the combine as it was after so the only thing that changed was his workouts.

Donald may end up being a very good player my point is I am skeptical of huge jumps based upon workouts. I am even more skeptical of talking heads.

As for Geno Atkins comparisons are great but production is even better. How many people have been compared to current players only to be average at best?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans are not going to be around for the No. 10 overall pick. End of story.
I know you want Donald, that much is abundantly clear. But to say matter of factly that Evans won't be there is a stretch. Lots of things happen in the draft. Lots of risers, fallers, and everything in between. Evans could very well be there if we stay put, plain and simple.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you want Donald, that much is abundantly clear. But to say matter of factly that Evans won't be there is a stretch. Lots of things happen in the draft. Lots of risers, fallers, and everything in between. Evans could very well be there if we stay put, plain and simple.

That was actually a quote from the Free Press, or News, or somewhere, because I remember reading it and taking issues w/ the writer's matter-of-fact style. Evans certainly could be there. I don't think he will personally, but there's no way someone can say with certainty that he won't...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wish this statement was fact, but unfortunately, no one knows who is going to be there and who isn't, as the only people who know what they are going to do with their 1st round pick and the front office of the teams drafting.

I think Watkins and Evans being off the board when the Lions draft is a best case scenario, so Detroit is forced to spend the pick elsewhere. I don't care if they spend it on an OL -- as least it isn't on a WR and at least they aren't trading picks away. Detroit will be a much better team if this is the case.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's not forget that Oakland and Minnesota pick in front of us. You can never predict who they take. Love to reach!

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that Oakland and Minnesota pick in front of us. You can never predict who they take. Love to reach!

Looks like there is a chance Bortles,Bridgewater and Manziel will be there for Minny. Hopefully it's Bortles, highest chance of busting.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be mad if we traded down and got another pick. Clinton Dix or Pryor wouldn't look bad in a Lions uni.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be mad if we traded down and got another pick. Clinton Dix or Pryor wouldn't look bad in a Lions uni.

I would love to see this happen, but with Mayhew's job on the line and a coach talking about winning now -- I don't see them drafting a safety in the 1st after giving Ihedbigo a 2 year deal.

IMO -- the only players the Lions will be drafting in the 1st round are:

If they trade up:
Watkins, Mack or Clowney

If they stay at #10:
Evans, Gilbert, Dennard, Donald, Lewan, Mathews, Robinson (no particular order)

I think the only way they trade back is if a couple of the guys they like are still available at #10 and they have them all rated about the same and can move back a few spots, where they can still draft one of their top rated players and pick up an extra pick.

I've been reading up more on a lot of the guys. A guy I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions draft is Jake Mathews. He seems to be one of the safest picks in the draft, based on his position and talent. He is also a guy who can play all 5 spots on the OL, which is something Mayhew likes.

The guy I would most like to see the Lions draft after reading more on all the probable top 10 picks: Greg Robinson (other than the obvious two, who will be gone long before #10 -- Mack and Clowney)

If he can run block like they are talking about -- It would not only help the Lions control the clock, but it would force defenses to respect the run game and to move their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, opening up the vertical passing attack, which has been missing quite a bit over the last two years. An offensive line consisting of Robinson, Reiff and Warford would give the Lions the chance to have a dominating OL.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see this happen, but with Mayhew's job on the line and a coach talking about winning now -- I don't see them drafting a safety in the 1st after giving Ihedbigo a 2 year deal.

IMO -- the only players the Lions will be drafting in the 1st round are:

If they trade up:
Watkins, Mack or Clowney

If they stay at #10:
Evans, Gilbert, Dennard, Donald, Lewan, Mathews, Robinson (no particular order)

I think the only way they trade back is if a couple of the guys they like are still available at #10 and they have them all rated about the same and can move back a few spots, where they can still draft one of their top rated players and pick up an extra pick.

I've been reading up more on a lot of the guys. A guy I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions draft is Jake Mathews. He seems to be one of the safest picks in the draft, based on his position and talent. He is also a guy who can play all 5 spots on the OL, which is something Mayhew likes.

The guy I would most like to see the Lions draft after reading more on all the probable top 10 picks: Greg Robinson (other than the obvious two, who will be gone long before #10 -- Mack and Clowney)

If he can run block like they are talking about -- It would not only help the Lions control the clock, but it would force defenses to respect the run game and to move their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, opening up the vertical passing attack, which has been missing quite a bit over the last two years. An offensive line consisting of Robinson, Reiff and Warford would give the Lions the chance to have a dominating OL.

I'm not really trying to start a fight with Tpaul but I would not be happy if we picked Donald at #10. Not when you have TWO top 13 picks starting already at DT. Also, DT is not that important of a position to spend that many high picks on. I'd rather draft Manziel than Donald.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, I would be stoked to get the son of probably the best LT of all time. Starting caliber LT usually don't slide to far unless they have a major deficiency like short arms (Reiff). Last year 3 of the top 4 picks were all potential LT's.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offensive line was good. Why mess with it? Especially since we found a gem in Waddle. RR at LT and Waddle at RT will be a duo to mess with if they can replicate last yr. The only weakness on our line IMO, is a big, strong Center. I'd like to draft one in the 3rd round or so. I would also be dissapointed with donald at 10. We have much bigger weaknesses. The pick should be WR (not really a weakness, but would make our offense deadly), or Secondary, and maybe LB if Mack somehow decides to fall. I've seen Barr's draft stock fall miserably. I think walterfootball has him falling to the 2nd round.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess if something very odd happens and a LT is available, take him, but I would leave Waddle right where he is if it were my call. Waddle should come back more polished and stronger this year, making him and Warford a nice pair on the right side.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the two most coveted positions the Lions would like to come out of the first round with is WR or OLB, with CB and LT being secondary options. If a LT falls and Evans and Watkins are gone, they may consider it. Seems like it could come down to a Lewan or Gilbert. Mack and Watkins would be the two trade up targets, but I wouldn't doubt trading up a few spots to grab Evans either.

Ebron is still a sleeper here too, IMO.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not when you have TWO top 13 picks starting already at DT.

And both of those top 13 picks are free agents next year.

I honestly am not sure what is going to happen with Suh. With have a new coaching staff and he doesn't come to the early workouts. He knows how big his cap hit is for this upcoming year, yet goes without an agent for quite some time and then it was going to be Jay-Z, then he finally hired an agent a week before FA and they don't even meet with the team to talk about an extension.

As a Lions fan, I want to think he is going to come back to the team. As a football fan though, I think he is going to test FA, unless Detroit is willing to make him the highest paid defensive player in the game. In the end, I think he goes the FA route and goes to the highest bidder.

Fairley -- something is fishy with his scenario. The whole not picking up his 5th year option makes no sense. It isn't as if Fairley has a great year that Detroit is going to make him a top paid DT, as he has been so inconsistent. I honestly think we may see Fairley traded at some point.

So basically, while we have two top 13 picks -- we only have them for one more year, unless we break the bank for one guy and I'm really confused about the other on what the teams plans are.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the two most coveted positions the Lions would like to come out of the first round with is WR

It is the deepest position in the draft. They could get a 1st round talent in any other year in the 2nd round. Why would it be their most coveted position, unless Matt Millen is still the GM?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offensive line was good. Why mess with it? Especially since we found a gem in Waddle. RR at LT and Waddle at RT will be a duo to mess with if they can replicate last yr. The only weakness on our line IMO, is a big, strong Center. I'd like to draft one in the 3rd round or so. I would also be dissapointed with donald at 10. We have much bigger weaknesses. The pick should be WR (not really a weakness, but would make our offense deadly), or Secondary, and maybe LB if Mack somehow decides to fall. I've seen Barr's draft stock fall miserably. I think walterfootball has him falling to the 2nd round.

Many people didn't like taking Fairley. They said we had Suh and Corey Williams. IMO they took a strength and made it stronger. Only hit on taking OT is they don't rotate. Why I love the play of Waddle. Making that unit stronger is not bad move. Tpaul and me talked earlier of sliding Waddle or Reiff to G next year to replace Sims. Only guy I would like is Robinson. He is immediate upgrade. Not going to happen as I feel he is lone gone. Get a C in 3rd or 4th and OL set for years with youth.

With them picking at 10, seems to be in the range of reaching for guys. As stated many times. The top CB and S duos may not be worthy. Donald or a 3rd WR talent reaching for OLB. I do feel they are moving via trade. Up or down is the question?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think theres a good chance evans is there, watkins will be long gone.