• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to get upset if they trade away picks to draft a WR -- I will actually get a good laugh out of it. Now if they had kept it a secret and then traded up on draft day -- I would probably be upset. Maybe they let the cat out of the bag so early about their interest in Watkins, so the fans can get all their anger out now and by draft day, it won't be a big deal.:laugh3:

They could care less "What The Fans Think".

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the argument would be much different if the Lions were sitting at 20 and was trying to get to 11 or 15 to take a player like Beckam. It would also be different if they were at 25, trying to get to 2. They are right outside of where the elite prospects are so it makes sense to try and get one.

Beckham wouldn't be worthy of that kind of jump, IMO, as you "could possibly find others similar to him", without that kind of move (i.e. Adams or Lattimer). But I completely understand the point from #10 to possibly #3, #4 #5 etc.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't reasonable to think that a lot of the teams picking in the top 5 would love to trade down and receive offers they cant refuse if the value is there? These teams covet the elite guys as well but often have so many needs that trades become just as important.

Isn't it reasonable to think that teams who are sitting just beyond the elite players would love to find a way to get them? They keep saying how Atlanta wants to move up for Clowney.

You also have to look at the different schemes those teams operate in regarding the top 7 and possible players available later on in the draft in addition to acquiring said other pick(s) in a trade down. It may very well be worth it to those teams. it provides maneuverability plus extra player(s).

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beckham wouldn't be worthy of that kind of jump, IMO, as you "could possibly find others similar to him", without that kind of move (i.e. Adams or Lattimer). But I completely understand the point from #10 to possibly #3, #4 #5 etc.

I wouldn't want to pay anything more than this year's #2 for anyone but Clowney. the rest look good, but not like generational players. I don't really see the talent at #10 being that much lower than the talent at #4-5, and this year's #45 is going to have the talend of a typical #25. Stay put and take a guy who will help the team, and look for offers to trade down, not up. I'd love Dennard or Gilbert at 15.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could care less "What The Fans Think".

It is 'couldn't' care less. It was just a joke, that is why I put the laughing smiley face at the end. I think it is quite obvious, what the fans think means absolutely nothing to any GM in the NFL.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want to pay anything more than this year's #2 for anyone but Clowney. the rest look good, but not like generational players. I don't really see the talent at #10 being that much lower than the talent at #4-5, and this year's #45 is going to have the talend of a typical #25. Stay put and take a guy who will help the team, and look for offers to trade down, not up. I'd love Dennard or Gilbert at 15.

Clowney would be that immediate LDE. Mack is that immediate SAM thus providing many schemes to utilize him in.

I too would stay at #10 and take the BPA, regardless of who it becomes, thus keeping #45 where maybe, just maybe VanNoy, Shazier, Adams, Lattimer are "possibly available".

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if they had kept it a secret and then traded up on draft day
They don't have to tell us fans or the media anything. They aren't required just so we have an idea of what they're doing.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have to tell us fans or the media anything. They aren't required just so we have an idea of what they're doing.

Really? My whole reasoning on why I think Watkins is a smokescreen is the simple fact they have been blatant about it.

It isn't as if Detroit is draft #3 and they would need to trade up to #2 to get Watkins. It isn't as if the Lions aren't the only team drafting in the top 10 that needs immediate help at WR.

If Detroit were dead set on trading up to #2 to get Watkins -- they just drove up the price by making it known. They have also made the teams with big WR needs aware that if they want to draft Watkins, they will have to go up to #2 to get him. So if a team like Buffalo or Oakland offers a 1st and 2nd to move up -- Now Detroit is going to have to offer more to get to #2 overall. THAT is why I think it is a smoke screen, because it has been so blatant and Detroit is never blatant about what they want to do in the draft. It makes no sense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, a deal is already done if they are trading up. They've been very quiet in the past and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. Lions wouldn't go as far as taking him to dinner and all of that stuff just to say they're not drafting him. To me, going to dinner means the team knows he might be available.

I dont think they are worried about any of the teams ahead of them trading up for him and if they intend to, they would regardless of Detroit showing interest anyway. I doubt they could drive the price up either because nobody knows whats being offered. Im not sure how this could be a smoke screen.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet if they really want Watkins, they are making it known so they can put deals in place with the top five teams. If you were GMs for any one of those teams, wouldn't you check to see what Detroit is offering?

Now, there is a small chance that the target is a different player but its still unlikely.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, a deal is already done if they are trading up. They've been very quiet in the past and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. Lions wouldn't go as far as taking him to dinner and all of that stuff just to say they're not drafting him. To me, going to dinner means the team knows he might be available.

I dont think they are worried about any of the teams ahead of them trading up for him and if they intend to, they would regardless of Detroit showing interest anyway. I doubt they could drive the price up either because nobody knows whats being offered. Im not sure how this could be a smoke screen.

Only way a deal is done is if the trade includes a player on the Lions roster and St. Louis isn't interested in draft picks. If Detroit is offering a 1st and 2nd round pick and Oakland calls and says they will do the same to move up, Detroit is out of luck. Same goes with Tampa Bay or Buffalo.

As far as going to dinner with Watkins -- Caldwell already said, he likes to do those sort of things, so he can see how a player acts around their parents/guardians etc., as it gives you a better understanding of who a person truly is. And any player is available if you are willing to meet the demands of the other team. New Orleans traded their entire draft for Ricky Williams. Washington traded a king's ransom to move up to #2 to take RG III.

As far as the teams drafting ahead of Detroit, mainly Oakland, if they fell in love with Watkins, they could easily offer a better package than Detroit. It'd only cost them probably the #5 pick and a 3rd round pick.

You never want to show your hand in the draft. Not even the 1st pick overall, unless it is a no-brainer pick. Houston doesn't have to worry about what anyone is doing and we have no clue what they are going to do with the #1 pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet if they really want Watkins, they are making it known so they can put deals in place with the top five teams. If you were GMs for any one of those teams, wouldn't you check to see what Detroit is offering?

Why would they make a deal with the top 5 teams? And why would St. Louis give Detroit their asking price without knowing for sure if anyone else is interested in moving up too?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The teams usually agree in principle, meaning that both parties have agreed to a deal if everything lines up correctly once the draft takes place. I guess Oakland could do that but I doubt the Rams would state what type of offer they already have on the table.

Teams dont take players to dinner unless the interest is real. They only take one or two guys and its usually who they want.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams, Les Snead has already said he has had offers from several teams and more than likely, its in case Clowney is there. With the other teams, you call them to put an offer out there in case your player is available.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now, there is a small chance that the target is a different player but its still unlikely.

Mayhew has stayed pretty true to form. He likes the best player available within reason, He likes to trade up not down, and he does not advertise what he is thinking or doing. Remember he offered a big haul to the Cardinals to swap and give the Lions a chance to draft Peterson. Not a peep before hand that he was going to make that play.

Maybe he is driving the price of picks 3-9 higher. Maybe he hopes a team on the fence trades down opening a chance for the Lions to grab Mack? I just think it's out of character for him to let everyone know what he is thinking.

As for Donald I don't see him as a top 10 talent. He has jumped up the boards but that is based on measurables and not tape. Tape had him late first early second so I always worry someone gets excited about workout warriors.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew has stayed pretty true to form. He likes the best player available within reason, He likes to trade up not down, and he does not advertise what he is thinking or doing. Remember he offered a big haul to the Cardinals to swap and give the Lions a chance to draft Peterson. Not a peep before hand that he was going to make that play.

Maybe he is driving the price of picks 3-9 higher. Maybe he hopes a team on the fence trades down opening a chance for the Lions to grab Mack? I just think it's out of character for him to let everyone know what he is thinking.

As for Donald I don't see him as a top 10 talent. He has jumped up the boards but that is based on measurables and not tape. Tape had him late first early second so I always worry someone gets excited about workout warriors.

So, I guess all the tape NFL.com watched was senseless and useless for writings like the following coming from Mayock, Brooks and Jeremiah, not to mention McShay and Kiper. Donald was on the radar long before the combine. Player's are re-aligned constantly throughout the process pre-draft.

Aaron Donald earns another comparison to Geno Atkins - NFL.com

In July, at the ACC Football Media Days event, Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald said his NFL role model is Cincinnati's Geno Atkins.
It will make Donald happy, then, that NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock compared him to Atkins on NFL Network during Wednesday's coverage of the Reese's Senior Bowl practices. Another reason for Donald to smile is that Atkins signed a giant contract extension in September.

Fellow analyst Bucky Brooks made the Atkins comparison in November.

Donald measured in at 6-foot and 288 pounds during Monday's Senior Bowl weigh-in, and his lack of size is seen as a detriment by some scouts. But Donald's production this season was incredible; he finished with a nation-leading 28.5 tackles for loss and 11 sacks, and was a consensus first-team All-American.
Mayock called Donald an "explosive, one-gap penetrator" and said he fits best in a four-man front. Specifically, Mayock said Donald fits best on a team that is aggressive with its four-man front.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I say Gilbert is because I like the idea of pairing him with Slay, as you like Donald and Suh. To me, assuming that Slay comes on as a legit #2, and Gilbert as the #, they can potentially have one of the better young tandem in the league. Houston becomes the guy they can move around, while offering leadership too. I see it similar to how I view adding Watkins to Tate and CJ.

I think we need Gilbert's speed and big play ability out there.

Makes sense to me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can point out two examples regarding players who were in McShay's top 6 who are no longer there. Bama LT Kouandjio (#6 ranked player at his highest, now he's #48) or OLB Barr, who at one point was #2 overall ranked player but now sits at #27. WHY. Re-evaluated tape after the bowl games and saw negative aspects to their game that they hadn't noticed previously.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player Page

Close | Full Depth Charts

132087.jpg

Aaron Donald | Defensive End

Team: Pittsburgh PanthersAge / DOB: (22) / 5/23/1991Ht / Wt: 6'0' / 285

NFL Films' Greg Cosell said "one can make the argument" that Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald is a Bengals DT Geno Atkins "light type player."
Cosell is starting to use courtroom diction on us. "Teams that are true 3-4s probably don't see a place for Aaron Donald because he's a 4-3, 3-technique DT, he's a penetrator, he's a terrific pass rusher from that position, that's what he is," Cosell said. Donald won't fall below the Bears at the No. 14 slot. Apr 10 - 6:18 PM
Source: Ross Tucker Podcast