• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasnt delmas drafted as a play maker? I remember alot of fans loved that pick......i think playmakers come from good coaching and schemes....catching the offense off guard....making plays....just because if the lions signed a so called playmaker....that doesnt automatically mean he will make plays...

Just wondering.....name the PLAYMAKERS the lions should draft....so i can write it down and see a year from now how many actually made the plays...

ACtually damn good question Cleaves. This why I have been wishy washy on my guy. I do want defense though. Not sure of scheme this year? They have given tidbits of more pressure on D maybe more of running game on offense and such. The draft may lend more help. Edge passrusher or OLB or S could tell more of 3 safety or nickel look more than straight up 4-3 look. Just might use combo off all 3 and not be predictable as Gunther.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This can't be a true statement. Why make a post of 12 of 16 first round picks on offense? HMMM? STill have not seen you spin my post to that one?

It is absolutely true -- I'm not going to dig all the way back to before we signed Tate, but I was actually on board with drafting Watkins in the 1st round -- Calvin needed a reliable WR to play opposite of him and Tate fills that role.

I thought the signing of Tate would put an end to the talks of drafting a WR in the first round, as the draft is so deep at the position, and you will be able to get a high quality WR in the 2nd round if they were dead set on filling the 3rd WR role.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Manziel at 10 if he fell......Good value and we can trade him away next year for a 1st and then some. We just have to store him on our roster for a year as our backup and cash in next year when a team is looking for a QB.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But YOU dont know what it would take to move up....

Do you really think detroit would give up a 2nd and next yrs first to move up 8 spots? If so, then yeah im sure no lion fan wants that....but id offer any kind of combo of any other picks to move up....the 2nd round hasnt been to kind to us anyway.....when we get a top 5 player tho, it usually works out well.

Obviously -- no one knows what it is going to take to move up to #2. I was just posting on what has been speculated that it would take. I've read it would take a 1st and 2nd this year. I've read it would take a 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st next year. I've read it will take Detroit's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th this year.

We won't know what it will take until draft day. I do believe the bare minimum is our 1st and 2nd round pick this year though. Meaning the Lions wouldn't pick until 70 something after the 1st round.

You don't have to tell any Lions fans how the 2nd round hasn't been kind to the Lions -- it has been discussed repeatedly on here. It is likely one of the main reasons Mayhew is on the hot seat, because if he had hit on picks like Broyles, Titus Young, Mikel LeShoure -- Detroit could have been using FA money on other areas on the team, instead of signing Tate and Bush.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you think Mayhew feels about all these guys underachieving and not getting the job done? He has said it many times that guys need to step up.

He says guys need to step up because his job is on the line and his poor drafting outside the 1st round is one of the biggest reasons why.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering.....name the PLAYMAKERS the lions should draft....so i can write it down and see a year from now how many actually made the plays...

If they trade up -- Mack or Clowney. Both would be tremendous additions to the Lions defense.

If they stay at #10 -- Clinton-Dix, Barr, Dennard, Gilbert, Donald. Detroit can take their pick. Barr can be used with his hand on the ground or as a pass rushing LB. Donald can take over Fairley's spot on the DL after this year. Dennard or Gilbert will be instant upgardes in the secondary. Clinton-Dix is the best safety in the draft and would give the Lions options of moving Quin into the nickel role on passing downs.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew said they need to step up......because they need to step up. I think he is more concerned about his coaches proving that he made a good decision.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is absolutely true -- I'm not going to dig all the way back to before we signed Tate, but I was actually on board with drafting Watkins in the 1st round -- Calvin needed a reliable WR to play opposite of him and Tate fills that role.

I thought the signing of Tate would put an end to the talks of drafting a WR in the first round, as the draft is so deep at the position, and you will be able to get a high quality WR in the 2nd round if they were dead set on filling the 3rd WR role.

They thought titus young, ryan broyles, and derrick williams were high quality WR's chosen in the 2nd round before....howd that work out?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade up -- Mack or Clowney. Both would be tremendous additions to the Lions defense.

If they stay at #10 -- Clinton-Dix, Barr, Dennard, Gilbert, Donald. Detroit can take their pick. Barr can be used with his hand on the ground or as a pass rushing LB. Donald can take over Fairley's spot on the DL after this year. Dennard or Gilbert will be instant upgardes in the secondary. Clinton-Dix is the best safety in the draft and would give the Lions options of moving Quin into the nickel role on passing downs.

I seen on a mock yesterday they had barr going like 21.....you want him at 10? Why cant we look for fairleys replacement next year? Im sure there will be a DT everyone will be saying is a cant miss type of guy...happens every year....

So every guy you listed up there is a playmaker? Im wondering if you think aaron curry was a playmaker too...well i wish i could fast forward a year to see which of those guys dont become a playmaker....

One other thing....you say detroit has NO playmakers on defense.....so donald is a bigger playmaker than suh? Whys barr dropping in so many draft mocks if hes a playmaker?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing....you say detroit has NO playmakers on defense.....so donald is a bigger playmaker than suh? Whys barr dropping in so many draft mocks if hes a playmaker?

show me where I said detroit has no play makers on defense. all i said is -- the defense needs to add play makers in the back 7.

it isn't as if this is some big secret.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seen on a mock yesterday they had barr going like 21.....you want him at 10? Why cant we look for fairleys replacement next year? Im sure there will be a DT everyone will be saying is a cant miss type of guy...happens every year....

I saw a Mock yesterday where Teddy Bridgewater went in the 2nd round and another where Teddy Bridgewater went in the top 5. I've seen Mock's where Gilbert is drafted in the top 10 and I've seen mock's that have had his as low as 25th.

Mocks are nothing more than personal opinion's.

I didn't say the Lions HAD to draft Donald at #10. He is one of the handful of names I put there. Detroit has neither of their DT's signed for next year. What happens if both Fairley and Suh decide to walk in FA?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They thought titus young, ryan broyles, and derrick williams were high quality WR's chosen in the 2nd round before....howd that work out?

I stand corrected -- Detroit should definitely trade away multiple picks to draft a WR in the top 5, because their GM is inept at drafting talent outside the 1st round at the position.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew said they need to step up......because they need to step up. I think he is more concerned about his coaches proving that he made a good decision.

So do you think Millen was unjustly fired? Maybe he selected great draft picks, but the Lions coaches were just terrible.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the Govt is conspiring against the Lions. Aliens have something to do with it but not sure what.

No team can be this inept for this many years without the govt having something to do with it.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLAY MAKERS!!! Players to force turnovers, players to consistently make big plays. Our CBs had TWO interceptions last year. Our best CB was 33 years old and picked up off the streets just before the season started. The guy with the most potential is Darius Slay, who just so happens to be the one player the Lions have drafted at CB in the 1st 2 rounds over the past decade plus.

Detroit's offense has 1st round picks up and down the roster -- from QB to RB to WR to TE to LT, etc.

Detroit's defense has 1st round picks on the DL and 2 of those guys are in the last year of their contract and unsigned after 2014. We have a #1 CB who is, at best, a #2 CB. We have a nickel CB, that in two years, has more PI's called against him than passes defensed.

Our top two LB'ers -- Levy and Tulloch have 3 forced fumbles combined for their CAREER. Not last season -- for their career. That is 13 seasons worth of football. I think Levy and Tulloch are solid players, but the defense needs someone to make plays and force turnovers.

With a defense that makes plays -- it takes pressure off the offense. The offense doesn't have to put up a ton of points every game. If they force turnovers the offense doens't have to go the length of the field to put up points.

Have to rock the little guy to sleep -- I'll come on later to discuss some more if there are responses.

What i get out of this post is....detroits defense doesnt have playmakers.....nothing about their back 7...i never liked levy, but ill admit he was a playmaker last year....i just dont think gilbert or dennard or that big of a superstar playmaker.....in fact ive seen you down dennard plenty of times saying he will be called for PI in the NFL....and im not sold on gilbert for the 10th pick....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
show me where I said detroit has no play makers on defense. all i said is -- the defense needs to add play makers in the back 7.

it isn't as if this is some big secret.

So does drafting the best available CB's mean they will be a playmaker? I just dont see an elite CB in this draft and im a big dennard fan.

The 4 CB's who went in the first round last year had a combined 6 INTS last year.....milliner had 3 of them and hes been considered a bust by most.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does drafting the best available CB's mean they will be a playmaker? I just dont see an elite CB in this draft and im a big dennard fan.

The 4 CB's who went in the first round last year had a combined 6 INTS last year.....milliner had 3 of them and hes been considered a bust by most.

Nothing is guaranteed when you draft anybody in the NFL. One positional player you mentioned in a previous post was Aaron Curry. Every expert called him the safest pick in the draft and a guy you could write into the starting lineup for the next 10 years. He has been a bust. And I wasn't one of the fans calling to draft Curry, but I did feel, if they weren't going to draft Stafford, that Curry should be the pick. I viewed them as a 1a and 1b in the draft. We just never know how a player will translate into the NFL.

The CB position is one of the toughest to judge on what type of talent will translate to the NFL. I honestly believe Dennard is going to be a really good player in the NFL. Gilbert put up the better numbers at the combine, but I think Dennard's intelligence is going to make him the better NFL CB. The fact Dennard played man almost exclusively in the MSU defense gives him an advantage. His physicality is going to help him too, but as you mentioned, it is also something that scares me about him, as they call the game so closely at the NFL level. I believe he is smart enough to make adjustments.

If Detroit drafted Dennard -- imo, he would be the best CB on our roster from day 1.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've kept quiet for a week. That was my self imposed sentence.(It's Saturday now, the shackles are off) But Jesus Titty Fucking Christ are you guys ridiculous. We aren't drafting Sammy Watkins. We aren't drafting Jadeveon Clowney. We paying a fat fucking turnover machine too much money to afford a fourth "ELITE" player. (Every time I read that word I want to punch people square in the mouth. No joke.) Stop squabbling and move back up the board to some mashed up thread.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What i get out of this post is....detroits defense doesnt have playmakers.....nothing about their back 7...i never liked levy, but ill admit he was a playmaker last year....i just dont think gilbert or dennard or that big of a superstar playmaker.....in fact ive seen you down dennard plenty of times saying he will be called for PI in the NFL....and im not sold on gilbert for the 10th pick....

I've said in this thread a couple times -- The best part about the Lions defense is their defensive line, because they have invested the picks to add talent in that position. So I apologize if it came off as me saying the Lions had no playmakers on the defense. I think we have a couple on the defensive line, but we need a couple added to the back 7.

I agree with levy. He was tremendous last year, but a team can't rely on a LB getting 6 interceptions too often. I really hope he turned a corner and continues to produce like he did in 2013. It would be great for the Lions defense as a whole.

I mentioned Barr as a guy I wouldn't mind the Lions taking at 10, as he has a really high ceiling. He is a freakish athlete, who could be the LB Austin and Mayhew talked about needing to add, who can rush the passer from the OLB position, or he is a guy who they could lineup at DE who could use his speed to rush the QB. With only two years of playing on defense -- he has only scratched the surface of his potential and could be scary good if he continues to progress. I read he ran a 4.44 at his pro day (though it was hand timed, so who knows how accurate it is), but guys aren't supposed to be that big and that fast.

Aaron Donald is guy who I think will end up being a Geno Atkins type of DT. Smaller in stature, but very fast and strong. He is a guy who probably would have dropped in past years because of his size, but after seeing what Atkins has done in Cincy -- He will be off the board in the top 20 picks and I think he will be very good and if he is lined up next to someone like Suh -- I think he could turn into an elite playmaker. He is a high motor guy and not someone like Fairley who disappears for plays and series.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've kept quiet for a week. That was my self imposed sentence

I think maybe I need to self impose a ban on myself too. I just can't grasp the concept of trading away picks to add another weapon to an offense that added Golden Tate to Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, etc.

I apologize to everyone for turning a lot of threads into this type of discussion. I just want to see the Lions become a winning franchise and think trading away picks to draft a WR in a year when the WR position is stacked with talent is a mistake. The draft picks are way too valuable to give up IMO.

I will stop talking about this for a while.