• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marshawn plans to skip minicamp to hold out for new contract

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that Lynch did actually show up to camp, albeit not actually participating, any changes in your opinions?

It might help his cause. Not forcing things in the same way Davis is (LOL) is the only way there is any chance he gets a raise. Push the team in public by holding out and they really can't negotiate with him or they set a bad precedent.

I wonder if this means they are actually close to some kind of a deal. Not sure why he would tell babs he wasn't going to be at mini camp and then shows up, but does ANYTHING that Lynch does really surprise people?

Either way, it's great that he is there to be with his team.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in the "let's wait and see group" last week. Clearly this story came up for a reason and the Lynch group felt the best way to negotiate was to show up. I'll admit I didnt think he would show so I am pleasantly surprised. Good sign that this situation will end good for this year.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I don't know how anyone can think they have any idea what's going on in Lynch's head, let alone what he's gonna do. I saw a picture of him and coach Carroll at mini-camp and whatever they were talking about, Carroll had a big smile on his face. Whatever is going on, it doesn't seem to be having an impact outside of the press. It wouldn't surprise me if Lynch really did consider retirement after the Super Bowl, but more as a means of getting away from the press than out of any unhappiness with his contract.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I don't know how anyone can think they have any idea what's going on in Lynch's head, let alone what he's gonna do. I saw a picture of him and coach Carroll at mini-camp and whatever they were talking about, Carroll had a big smile on his face. Whatever is going on, it doesn't seem to be having an impact outside of the press. It wouldn't surprise me if Lynch really did consider retirement after the Super Bowl, but more as a means of getting away from the press than out of any unhappiness with his contract.

Holmgren talked about the situation this week and said he was involved in several hold out situations and always made sure the player knew that was more or less between them and the GM. HC's on most teams have limited input on salary cap negotiations. Players often say it's between their agents and the GM's.

I wouldn't expect there to be any issues between Pete and Marshawn over these things.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmgren talked about the situation this week and said he was involved in several hold out situations and always made sure the player knew that was more or less between them and the GM. HC's on most teams have limited input on salary cap negotiations. Players often say it's between their agents and the GM's.

I wouldn't expect there to be any issues between Pete and Marshawn over these things.

Just because it should be a matter that stays between player and GM doesn't mean that there won't be times when it spills out to the coaches and other players. Luckily, this doesn't appear to be one of those times.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Marshawn is there at all is proof there isn't anything personal going on here. It's a money/business thing. The team had to have reached out to him and they have to be all on the same page to some degree. I mean we can all agree that Lynch isn't the type of player that goes along to get along.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Marshawn is in fact upset with his contract, I applaud his decision to attend mini camp. Offering an olive branch is usually a good thing.