• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Buehrle on HOF ballot

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be steve carlton.

Carlton was already HoF eligible when Buehrle was born, how long does this generation you're talking about last? :wink: .

Steve was born the same year as Roger Daltrey actually, maybe he was singing about him :lol:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlton was already HoF eligible when Buehrle was born, how long does this generation you're talking about last? :wink: .

Steve was born the same year as Roger Daltrey actually, maybe he was singing about him :lol:
go ahead and laugh. unfortunately your alternate facts are wrong. you must be a trumper. :pound:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
go ahead and laugh. unfortunately your alternate facts are wrong. you must be a trumper. :pound:

I see Steve Carlton born December 22, 1944 and Roger Daltrey born March 1, 1944.

Mark Buehrle was born March 23, 1979.

Now if I made a mistake it is that I should have been clearer about what I meant by "HoF eligible". I meant simply that he had played 10+ seasons to meet that HoF requirement. On March 23, 1979 when Mark Buehrle was born Lefty was getting ready to begin his 15th season in MLB.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Steve Carlton born December 22, 1944 and Roger Daltrey born March 1, 1944.

Mark Buehrle was born March 23, 1979.

Now if I made a mistake it is that I should have been clearer about what I meant by "HoF eligible". I meant simply that he had played 10+ seasons to meet that HoF requirement. On March 23, 1979 when Mark Buehrle was born Lefty was getting ready to begin his 15th season in MLB.

apology accepted.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apology accepted.

I'd also like to clarify that when I clicked the thread (he's not my favourite player but I'm definitely a Buehrle fan and that was the reason) I didn't notice until after I'd posted that it was in the White Sox forum rather than the general MLB one. I don't want you thinking that I popped on your board just to bomb a (light hearted) joke at your expense.

That being said my general point still stands :D I doubt one can find too much info about Steve Carlton's family because of how private he is but it seems like his kids are Buehrle's age. But both had fantastic pickoff moves regardless. Terry Mulholland is another guy that comes to mind that had a great move, interestingly enough he was born almost right in-between Carlton and Buehrle (chronologically not physically of course :pound: ).

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to clarify that when I clicked the thread (he's not my favourite player but I'm definitely a Buehrle fan and that was the reason) I didn't notice until after I'd posted that it was in the White Sox forum rather than the general MLB one. I don't want you thinking that I popped on your board just to bomb a (light hearted) joke at your expense.

That being said my general point still stands :D I doubt one can find too much info about Steve Carlton's family because of how private he is but it seems like his kids are Buehrle's age. But both had fantastic pickoff moves regardless. Terry Mulholland is another guy that comes to mind that had a great move, interestingly enough he was born almost right in-between Carlton and Buehrle (chronologically not physically of course :pound: ).
carlton's last season was '88 and mark's 1st was '00. 12 years apart and i think of a generation as generally 20 years. technically you were probably correct that they might be considered a different generation. i just didn't think it was a big deal.

btw, carlton was born in miami fla and mark in st charles missouri. terry was born in uniontown pa. so, not too far brom 'between'. :P

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
carlton's last season was '88 and mark's 1st was '00. 12 years apart and i think of a generation as generally 20 years. technically you were probably correct that they might be considered a different generation. i just didn't think it was a big deal.

btw, carlton was born in miami fla and mark in st charles missouri. terry was born in uniontown pa. so, not too far brom 'between'. :P

Another way to look at it is that there were 40 other teammates who played for the White Sox in Buehrle's debut season and only 2 of them also played in MLB in Carlton's final (9.2 inning) season. One was Ken Hill who debuted in 1988 and the other was Harold Baines who was 41 years old and one year away from his own retirement in 2000.

Not really a big deal at all and like I said I wouldn't have made a joke of it if I'd known this wasn't the general board. But I meant no harm or insult by the flippancy. I like both pitchers too, one of my earliest memories was watching the Orioles and the Phillies in the World Series. John Denny won the Cy Young Award that year, I didn't really realize at the time what a surprise that was.