• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread March Madness thread

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it you only like the tourney when the blue bloods win?

I definitely thinks it's more boring when it's the same ole blue bloods playing. Like I said, we usually get 1 region that's a mess, but now it's 2. Final 4 could still have 3 regions with 1,2, or 3 seeds in it with one surprise team.

Makes for a good tourney IMO

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand why some disagree with the NBA wanting to set certain standards for employment in their league. Other professions do it, what’s wrong with it being done in basketball?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is always usually a smaller conference team making a name for themselves in the tournament. With that said, I know Loyola wouldn't have only had 5 losses had they played power 5 conference teams. But, imagine if there were teams like St. Mary's, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky and South Dakota in instead of Syracuse, Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama. Who knows, maybe we have a non power 5 National Champion for the second time since 1990. You're right, anything can happen in 40 minutes. But how many teams like Loyola-Chicago have had anything happen in 40 minutes 3 games in a row? Now with that said, I know Loyola would not beat a team like Duke or Villanova or Kansas, but they've proven themselves a worthy opponent against power 5 teams. I think the tournament should include more smaller conference teams than it does strictly for these types of moments and games. Puts more programs on the map and makes games more competitive because recruitment is more competitive.

Well since the last drought was 24 years (1990 UNLV to UConn in 2014) it would be interesting to see more of those guys get a shot.

But they're gonna have to be willing to just go to places and not do a H&H.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand why some disagree with the NBA wanting to set certain standards for employment in their league. Other professions do it, what’s wrong with it being done in basketball?

Theirs is age based. No merit based.

And frankly it's completely arbitrary.

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theirs is age based. No merit based.

And frankly it's completely arbitrary.

A lot of other professions are aged-based, and some coaches are on record as saying it would be merit-based as well. And even if it wasn’t, so what? If it’s not merit-based, how would it benefit the NBA to keep players out until a certain age?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of other professions are aged-based, and some coaches are on record as saying it would be merit-based as well. And even if it wasn’t, so what? If it’s not merit-based, how would it benefit the NBA to keep players out until a certain age?

This is a better answer. No need to mess with March madness. If you do a "minor league" with bball, then what about football which an even bigger NCAA cash cow?

Big East recommends replacing 1-and-done with 2-or-none

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because they're basically using the NCAA as a minor league and college is loaded with players who have no intention of finishing a year of school and are going to drop out the second the final buzzer of their last game sounds. Look at the problems that's created.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only one I got right last night was Florida State! So tonight I'm thinking about switching my picks.

FYI for all of you that still have your team in the tourney...if I pick 'em, they are DOOMED.

LOL...0-4, 1-5 on v-wagers.

Rigged AF

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they're basically using the NCAA as a minor league and college is loaded with players who have no intention of finishing a year of school and are going to drop out the second the final buzzer of their last game sounds. Look at the problems that's created.

That's not the NBA's fault. Also NCAA schools don't have to offer scholarships to kids who know they are one and done's. The kids use the NCAA just as much as the NCAA uses them.

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s an NCAA problem, not an NBA problem. The NBA must protect its interests. The NCAA has to fix its own problems.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the NBA's fault. Also NCAA schools don't have to offer scholarships to kids who know they are one and done's. The kids use the NCAA just as much as the NCAA uses them.

The whole purpose of the one and done rule was for NBA FO's to get a chance to evaluate these players against a higher level of competition because they were burning too much cash on players that ended up being complete busts. Everybody knows the NBA uses the NCAA as a minor league system. That whole problem has been solved with the rookie cap and all these monster AAU teams.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if the NBA has nothing to do with it, then why are they coordinating with the NCAA on their draft rules?

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky losing is the best. Screw Calipari and his cheating ways.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it you only like the tourney when the blue bloods win?
I mean...Blue Bloods ARE going to win. They are just going to have an easier path.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand is the alumni support given to coaches and players who everyone knows use the one and done system. Graduates of these schools (Kentucky, Cincinnati under Huggins, even Duke) must know that these guys have no real affiliation with the school. Personally, I think it diminishes the creditability of the schools degrees.
Over the years these schools have limited funds for scholarships (and remember all money is fungible) to be given. Using that money for players who everyone knows will only be there one year takes it away from some other deserving student who intends to stay the course.
People often argue that athletic scholarships are philanthropic because this the only way some of these players can afford school. But the same goes for 5'8" fat kids with decent grades but not enough money to attend college.
So in reality it is a disingenuous position to say it is philanthropic.