• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread March Madness thread

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA has everything to do with the Mininum Age 19 rule, as it is their rule. What is not the NBA's responsibility is how that impacts NCAA basketball. To the extent that the NBA is willing to work with the NCAA to offer support in how the NCAA solves it problems, that is, of course, completely voluntary on the part of the NBA.
Oddly, the higher the minimum age requirement the better it is for the NBA. Its just logical that your bust rates are going to be lower with more film and data

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what your point is anymore.

My point is that the NBA thinks it benefits from the age requirement. To the extent that the NBA's age requirement is problematic for the NCAA is not the NBA's problem. To the extent that the NBA is using the NCAA as a minor league is not problematic enough to the NBA to want to eliminate its age requirement: https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/pat-garofalo/2015/03/27/nba-age-limit-is-march-madness

That's my point in response to your quote below from a few posts back. That the NCAA oversees so many colleges that enroll people who are not prepared for student life at their institutions is not a problem that the NBA created. The NCAA and its member schools did that to themselves. And they won't take you up on your suggestion to pull the plug on the whole thing because... $$$$$$

Because they're basically using the NCAA as a minor league and college is loaded with players who have no intention of finishing a year of school and are going to drop out the second the final buzzer of their last game sounds. Look at the problems that's created.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is madness for sure. Kansas State/Loyola is a regional final. Who had that? And if you did can you give me the winning #'s for the next lottery draw? :lol:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that the NBA thinks it benefits from the age requirement. To the extent that the NBA's age requirement is problematic for the NCAA is not the NBA's problem. To the extent that the NBA is using the NCAA as a minor league is not problematic enough to the NBA to want to eliminate its age requirement: https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/pat-garofalo/2015/03/27/nba-age-limit-is-march-madness

That's my point in response to your quote below from a few posts back. That the NCAA oversees so many colleges that enroll people who are not prepared for student life at their institutions is not a problem that the NBA created. The NCAA and its member schools did that to themselves. And they won't take you up on your suggestion to pull the plug on the whole thing because... $$$$$$

That article is two years old. Here's something more recent:

The NBA’s Age Limit Is Broken

The NBA commissioner doesn't even agree with you.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole purpose of the one and done rule was for NBA FO's to get a chance to evaluate these players against a higher level of competition because they were burning too much cash on players that ended up being complete busts. Everybody knows the NBA uses the NCAA as a minor league system. That whole problem has been solved with the rookie cap and all these monster AAU teams.

There isn't a question about the NBA use it as a minor league. But the players aren't innocent victims. They aren't barred from playing professionally, just not the NBA. But 99% would rather use the exposure they get from college than playing elsewhere. No one should blame the NBA for implementing any rule to benefit them.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a question about the NBA use it as a minor league. But the players aren't innocent victims. They aren't barred from playing professionally, just not the NBA. But 99% would rather use the exposure they get from college than playing elsewhere. No one should blame the NBA for implementing any rule to benefit them.

Then where do they play? Overseas? The NBA obviously has a monopoly on basketball in the U.S. And like I just posted, that's not even the NBA's stance anymore. Drafts have actually gotten younger since they instituted it.

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article is two years old. Here's something more recent:

The NBA’s Age Limit Is Broken

The NBA commissioner doesn't even agree with you.

The article says that Silver "indicated" during an interview with Mike-and-Mike that he was "open to working with the players’ union to potentially eliminate or at the least revise the age restriction." That is a mis-statement of what Silver said during that interview, which I heard. Silver said he was open to other ideas, but he did not "indicate" that he might be in favor of eliminating the requirement. The author is taking liberties with what Silver said.

Here is something from June 1, 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ver-wants-to-blow-up-the-nbas-age-limit-rule/

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then where do they play? Overseas? The NBA obviously has a monopoly on basketball in the U.S. And like I just posted, that's not even the NBA's stance anymore. Drafts have actually gotten younger since they instituted it.

Yes, overseas. Or the G-League.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article says that Silver "indicated" during an interview with Mike-and-Mike that he was "open to working with the players’ union to potentially eliminate or at the least revise the age restriction." That is a mis-statement of what Silver said during that interview, which I heard. Silver said he was open to other ideas, but he did not "indicate" that he might be in favor of eliminating the requirement. The author is taking liberties with what Silver said.

Here is something from June 1, 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ver-wants-to-blow-up-the-nbas-age-limit-rule/

Now you're arguing with the commissioner. The article I posted was from Nov. of 2017 and the massive scandal was mentioned as the driving factor.

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pffft. Yeah, selectively omit the point that the NBA has an obvious monopoly on professional basketball in the U.S.

So you're saying the G-League is not an option? Aaron Harrison would argue otherwise.

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're arguing with the commissioner. The article I posted was from Nov. of 2017 and the massive scandal was mentioned as the driving factor.

No, as I pointed out, Silver did not "indicate" what the article says he did.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, as I pointed out, Silver did not "indicate" what the article says he did.

There's really no point continuing this argument. Why not email the NBA and get the commissioners opinion as of right now because the last I heard from him he said the concept is broken and mentioned the scandals. Now they're looking at the #1 pick in the draft being at the center of a FBI investigation. Arguing that what happens in the NCAA has no bearing on the NBA is naive to say the least.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I crunch numbers please listen

Lucky for you. Duke is looking like a lock tonight. No Gonzaga let down

If Xavier made it to the sweet 16 as you told me they would, the Zags would still be playing.

SAD

CycleandJazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really no point continuing this argument. Why not email the NBA and get the commissioners opinion as of right now because the last I heard from him he said the concept is broken and mentioned the scandals. Now they're looking at the #1 pick in the draft being at the center of a FBI investigation. Arguing that what happens in the NCAA has no bearing on the NBA is naive to say the least.

1) Yes, he did say the concept is broken and did mention the scandals. I agree with him. How could anyone not agree with that? I'm not surprised the age requirement has led to this, but I put the responsibility on the NCAA, not the NBA.

2) I haven't suggested that what happens in the NCAA has no bearing on the NBA, only that the NCAA's problems are the NCAA's responsibility to fix, not the NBA. The NBA using the NCAA as a minor league is something the NCAA allowed to happen long before 2006 and they won't suddenly stop if the age requirement is eliminated (which Silver has not said), changed (which he has said in the past), or replaced with another set of rules that might include some sort of an age requirement (which he has most recently suggested).

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Xavier made it to the sweet 16 as you told me they would, the Zags would still be playing.

SAD

Wrong.

Gonzaga got thrashed by that shitty ass FSU team.

X lost on the final possession with Blueitt channeling his bksballer game and Macura getting screwed on a foul out.

Long story short. Zags suck. I rule.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are leagues for players to play, but yes oversea's is an option if they want to get paid. I'm not disagreeing with you except you are coming off as these players are just innocent victims which I feel is ridiculous. They'd be victims only if the NCAA did what they should do and not offer them scholarships.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are leagues for players to play, but yes oversea's is an option if they want to get paid. I'm not disagreeing with you except you are coming off as these players are just innocent victims which I feel is ridiculous. They'd be victims only if the NCAA did what they should do and not offer them scholarships.

I'm not saying they're innocent victims. But I don't give a shit they cave in and take money. That's the one straight thing about the process because it's the slimy coach that's made millions pulling the shady crap that burns in the end. Most of them are taking the easiest classes for two quarters and then leaving. The scholarship does nothing besides give them a place to burn a few months playing basketball before they become eligible. The system is a joke and the age requirement was engineered to get these guys to audition for a season at the college level (do you really think the NBA wants them sitting on their asses doing something else and not playing). NBA knows this as well. Silver knows that what goes on in the NCAA has a big impact on the NBA.