• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread March Madness thread

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villanova recruiting classes ranked No. 48 (2014), No. 29 (2015), No. 45 (2016) and No. 28 (2017) nationally, per 247Sports
...and that's the difference in CBB and CFB.

When was the last time a CFB team won a natty and averaged a 37 recruiting class ranking the previous four years? Has there ever been one?...at least in the BCS/CFP era?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not 100% sustainable every year JJ, but doesn't Wright target kids that have the characteristics that make Nova who they are? I agree 100% is unusual, but I give 'em credit for getting kids that "fit".

Villanova recruits guys who can see themselves in college for 4 years.

The sweet spot is that ranked 30 - 120 type recruit. Not good enough to go pro for a couple years, but good enough to play in the Big East.

Still, a lot of those guys bolt for the G-League or will transfer. You need to pick well and cross your fingers.

But yea, we have a couple guys who were ranked like in the 200s who get the same amount of playing time as walk-ons. These are guys who could be starting for like Lehigh or Florida Gulf Coast. But even they haven't transferred.

UNC has done something somewhat similar. They go for guys who will be around 3 or 4 years. While Duke has gone the one and done route. If you had asked me 10 years ago, I would have guessed the opposite.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villanova recruiting classes ranked No. 48 (2014), No. 29 (2015), No. 45 (2016) and No. 28 (2017) nationally, per 247Sports

CBB recruiting rankings are misleading, b/c the size of the classes have a huge discrepancy from program to program.

Villanova had a rotation of 8 guys. 7 of those players were 4* or 5* recruits. The tale of this story is that Jay Wright has done an excellent job on the recruitng trail the past few years. He has identified talent, he hasn't whiffed and he's developed them into a championship team.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBB recruiting rankings are misleading, b/c the size of the classes have a huge discrepancy from program to program.

Villanova had a rotation of 8 guys. 7 of those players were 4* or 5* recruits. The tale of this story is that Jay Wright has done an excellent job on the recruitng trail the past few years. He has identified talent, he hasn't whiffed and he's developed them into a championship team.

Wake Forest recruits at a fairly similar level, as do programs such as Virginia and NC State. Again, good recruiting, some luck.

Honestly, one and done has opened the door for a lot of programs who can recruit in the 30-150 range to possibly accomplish a lot.