• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread 2024 March Madness Discussion

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
led by David Thompson,right?
Yep. And the 7'2" Rick Burleson and the 5'7" Monte Towe. And future Orioles relief pitcher Tim Stoddard. Lost one game early to UCLA then ran the table. Beat Maryland 103-100 in the ACC tournament final. Some said they were the two best teams that season. Maryland was 23-4 going in. They had John Lucas, Tom McMillen and Len Elmore. And, because there were no at large bids, it was winner take all. This was the game that forced the NCAA to create at large bids

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. And the 7'2" Rick Burleson and the 5'7" Monte Towe. And fut]ure Orioles relief pitcher Tim Stoddard. Lost one game early to UCLA then ran the table. Beat Maryland 103-100 in the ACC tournament final. Some said they were the two best teams that season. Maryland was 23-4 going in. They had John Lucas, Tom McMillen and Len Elmore. And, because there were no at large bids, it was winner take all. This was the game that forced the NCAA to create at large bids
w lived about 3hrs from raleigh and saw most of the games on local TV.thompson use to alley oop often.

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
w lived about 3hrs from raleigh and saw most of the games on local TV.thompson use to alley oop often.
The Skywalker. He was my favorite player back then because he was beyond belief. Only Julius Erving was playing above the rim like Thompson. I think both Bill Walton and Michael Jordan also said The Skywalker was their favorite.
david_t.png

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Skywalker. He was my favorite player back then because he was beyond belief. Only Julius Erving was playing above the rim like Thompson. I think both Bill Walton and Michael Jordan also said The Skywalker was their favorite.
david_t.png
remember when he clipped the rim with his head,got stiches and came back to play

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn was the much better team and deserved the win.

Edey and Smith scored 49 of 60 points (more than 80%), really no help elsewhere on the team... Loyer was particularily horrible... played 30 minutes, 0-5 from field, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 TO and 2 personal fouls. He drove to basket a few times and has no athletism that he got rejected each time.

Also think Hurley a much better coach... he knew Edey was going to get his points and did not want Purdue to get hot from 3 point line and aligned his defense as such... Purdue 1-7 from 3 point line... well below season average of 40% and making 7 and taking 17 shots a game.

Purdue´s offense was also setting up very high... Smith would get over center line and stay there for some time for what reason I do not know, in semi final did the same and had 2 over and back violations. UConn offense set up much closer to the top of the key much more quickly and had a lot more motion throughout the possession.

Hats off to UConn... very impressive tournament.

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember when he clipped the rim with his head,got stiches and came back to play
All of those spectacular plays when the dunk was still illegal. I think I read that he did dunk a couple times in blowout games, knowing he would get a technical.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of those spectacular plays when the dunk was still illegal. I think I read that he did dunk a couple times in blowout games, knowing he would get a technical.
he as the first acc player I recall that could dunk at will if he wanted.remember unc doing the 4 corners crap all game?

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he as the first acc player I recall that could dunk at will if he wanted.remember unc doing the 4 corners crap all game?
Then came Ralph Sampson, who could dunk without jumping. How I hated UNC and the Four Corners. I still hate Carolina. Why it took the NCAA so long to put in a shot clock is beyond me

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then came Ralph Sampson, who could dunk without jumping. How I hated UNC and the Four Corners. I still hate Carolina. Why it took the NCAA so long to put in a shot clock is beyond me
I saw gene banks dunk on ralph in a Duke/uva in durhram in 80 on a snowy night.i grew to hate unc when they did that crap.still do

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn was the much better team and deserved the win.

Edey and Smith scored 49 of 60 points (more than 80%), really no help elsewhere on the team... Loyer was particularily horrible... played 30 minutes, 0-5 from field, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 TO and 2 personal fouls. He drove to basket a few times and has no athletism that he got rejected each time.

Also think Hurley a much better coach... he knew Edey was going to get his points and did not want Purdue to get hot from 3 point line and aligned his defense as such... Purdue 1-7 from 3 point line... well below season average of 40% and making 7 and taking 17 shots a game.

Purdue´s offense was also setting up very high... Smith would get over center line and stay there for some time for what reason I do not know, in semi final did the same and had 2 over and back violations. UConn offense set up much closer to the top of the key much more quickly and had a lot more motion throughout the possession.

Hats off to UConn... very impressive tournament.
Two impressive tournaments. They made it look easy last year. It's so tough to repeat, to start with a target on your back. Third team to repeat since the UCLA dynasty. Both of those teams, 1992-93 Duke and 2006-07 Florida did it because they brought back the entire team for the 2nd season. UConn brought back only 46.2 MP and 36.6 scoring from 2023. They will lose a lot this year, Newton, Spencer, Diarra are seniors, Castle and Clingan will be going to the NBA. But a few of those bench player were top recruits who couldn't crack the lineup. They will be a year older and wiser come November

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw gene banks dunk on ralph in a Duke/uva in durhram in 80 on a snowy night.i grew to hate unc when they did that crap.still do
Those late 70's Duke teams were good. Mike Gminski, Jeff Spanarkel, Kenny Dennard. Made the final in 1978 but lost to Kentucky. They get lost in the glow of the Krzyzewski Era

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those late 70's Duke teams were good. Mike Gminski, Jeff Spanarkel, Kenny Dennard. Made the final in 1978 but lost to Kentucky. They get lost in the glow of the Krzyzewski Era
we saw most of their games on local TV here too.acc is life around here.

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we saw most of their games on local TV here too.acc is life around here.
The ACC and Big East were my favorites. I didn't give much of a crap for any team west of Pittsburgh until March. When i was a kid, you got the national broadcast on the weekends, 2-3 games and always the same characters. UNC, UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, Notre Dame. And we got local broadcast of the "local" teams. Syracuse and St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies are still my favorite team.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC and Big East were my favorites. I didn't give much of a crap for any team west of Pittsburgh until March. When i was a kid, you got the national broadcast on the weekends, 2-3 games and always the same characters. UNC, UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, Notre Dame. And we got local broadcast of the "local" teams. Syracuse and St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies are still my favorite team.
acc football and basketball teams came around to help local schools to play basketball during their off seasons..met a lot of famous players as a kid.

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
acc football and basketball teams came around to help local schools to play basketball during their off seasons..met a lot of famous players as a kid.
I've gone to a lot of Bonaventure games. Seen some great players, Marcus Camby, Jameer Nelson, Mark Macon. Seems like I've seen more great coaches, Rick Pitino, Jim Boeheim, John Chaney, John Calipari, Dan Hurley. And the banner for the smallest school to make the Final Four, the 1970 team and Bob Lanier.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gone to a lot of Bonaventure games. Seen some great players, Marcus Camby, Jameer Nelson, Mark Macon. Seems like I've seen more great coaches, Rick Pitino, Jim Boeheim, John Chaney, John Calipari, Dan Hurley. And the banner for the smallest school to make the Final Four, the 1970 team and Bob Lanier.
Jordan,Ford,the Duke greats,uva greats,bias all came he and played.jeff adkins,a Martinsville grad that wnt to MD came too

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year before, Indiana went 31-1, only losing to Kentucky by two in the Regional Final. Their best player, Scott May, had broke his arm a ouple week before. If not for that, the Hoosiers might have had back to back undefeateds.
May was such a great player but like most Indiana players he didn't do very well as a pro