• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to say exactly how much he'd add. A great precedent to look at here is when the Chiefs got Montana in 1993. They came off a couple 10-6 seasons under Deberg and Dave Kreig.....both purely average QBs. Had a good running game, loaded defense with Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith.....similar to current Niners.

Montana came in, in 1992 played 11 games, was solid but didn't approach his previous play, and they ended up 11-5. 1993 was more of the same, quiet efficient play, but they slipped to 9-7. In 94 they brought in Bono....and went 13-3. So like everything else, who knows how it'll work out.

u know, ppl say who might go after smith. maybe we sign manning and the chiefs sign smith.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I have primarily one thing in mind when I weigh Manning VS Smith. Those 8-man fronts to stop Gore won't be there every down. I wouldn't expect Gore to have an 1800 yard season, but 1200 with about 15 TDs is entirely possible with defenses worried about Manning first.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers focused on Smith, not Manning, at QB now. Have offer on table to Smith and hope to get him signed sooner rather than later

-JLC on twitter

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although he cautions they "shouldn't be favored" in the Peyton Manning derby, SI's Peter King believes the Seahawks are ready to go "all in" on a Manning/Reggie Wayne "package deal."
Via the word of a "team official" from a Manning contender, King also hints the Dolphins could be ready to make Manning a massive offer. "If (Dolphins owner Stephen Ross) wants to offer him a (load) guaranteed, we're out," the official said. According to the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta, the Jets "share (that) sentiment." Of all the early rumored Manning contenders, the Jets appear to be the least committed to making a move.
Related: Reggie Wayne, Jets, Seahawks
Source: Peter King on Twitter Mar 6 - 11:47 PM

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we aren't getting him, then i am rooting for the Chiefs. Out of our conference and someone to shut the Tebow hype up. I think it's a mistake for us to not go after Manning, but it's sadly never going to happen.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we aren't getting him, then i am rooting for the Chiefs. Out of our conference and someone to shut the Tebow hype up. I think it's a mistake for us to not go after Manning, but it's sadly never going to happen.

If we don't get him I am hoping the dolphins do. Manning, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush and maybe Reggie Wayne would be a explosive offense.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although he cautions they "shouldn't be favored" in the Peyton Manning derby, SI's Peter King believes the Seahawks are ready to go "all in" on a Manning/Reggie Wayne "package deal."
Via the word of a "team official" from a Manning contender, King also hints the Dolphins could be ready to make Manning a massive offer. "If (Dolphins owner Stephen Ross) wants to offer him a (load) guaranteed, we're out," the official said. According to the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta, the Jets "share (that) sentiment." Of all the early rumored Manning contenders, the Jets appear to be the least committed to making a move.
Related: Reggie Wayne, Jets, Seahawks
Source: Peter King on Twitter Mar 6 - 11:47 PM

manning, wayne and possibly mario williams to the hawks? that would really suck

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't get him I am hoping the dolphins do. Manning, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush and maybe Reggie Wayne would be a explosive offense.

They would be my second choice. Having Manning vs Tom Brady twice a year would be great. Rex Ryan would hate it, though.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning, FA and Draft Ideas

So, Clyde really got me thinking about what Alex Smith brings to the table comparable to what he conceivably is asking for this offseason. Furthermore, he really has me thinking about CK, why we drafted him, and where he fits in this whole equation. Lastly, with all the talk of Manning potentially coming to the Niners, it has muddied the waters a bit for me. So I developed an offseason plan for the Niners based on today's date and who we have and haven't signed yet.

Sign Peyton Manning to 2 yr/20 mil deal, that is incentive laden in the first year, say 5 mil plus incentives with a buyout after year one for the team and a mutual option of 15 mil for year two.

Sign Reggie Wayne to 1 yr/8 mil

Sign Eddie Royal to 4 yr/25 mil, with escalating cap numbers starting at 4 mil in year one

Re-sign Dashon Goldson to 1 yr/6.2 mil franchise tag amount

Re-sign Adam Snyder to 2 yr/4 mil deal

Let Rogers test FA

Draft (in order of want contingent on availability)
1.) C Konz: Could start immediately at either G or C, def weaknesses in our OL
2.) DE Crick: High motor guy that seems to be a less durable, younger version of JS
3.) CB Robinson: If we let Rogers test FA, we will need competent play at CB
4.) RB Gray (or Martin of Boise State if he falls!): We need to groom Gore's replacement, plain and simple.
5.) WR Broyles: Underrated WR that is good value here
6.) OG Nix: We need to find some help for our interior OL
7.) BPA

Assuming that Harbaugh drafted CK to be our QB of the future and assuming that CK has made some serious strides towards holding the reigns of this offense, signing Manning is the ultimate risk/reward. If we get the old Manning, we have one of the best QB's of all time as our own. If we get the fragile "hold your breath every time a DE breathes on him" Manning, we have a safety net in CK to take over, something he had been groomed for over a year to do. The two year deal for Manning shows that we are giving him an opportunity to drive this franchise to a Championship.

The signing of both Wayne and Royal revamp our WR corps, to go with Crabs, Williams, DW and VD as a more explosive and more consistent offense.

By drafting as we do, we have either filled positions of need with players of value at the place in which we pick while also drafting heir apparent to positions 1-2 yrs before we will desperately need to. This has always been what has made dynasties sustainable and I feel with as many players as we have that are coming to that point in their respective careers (cough Gore cough Justin Smith cough Goodwin cough), it is imperative we do this to continue to grow talent that fits our schemes.

With all of this said, I still think Alex gets re-signed and we don't make a run at all at Manning, Wayne, or Royal. But a guy can dream, can't he?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the draft I'd go with but I like the idea.

And I don't know about just letting Rogers walk without a decent replacement plan.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would never be able to sign Peyton if that's all we offered him. On the other hand, i think that is paying too much for Wayne and Royal. We could probably have them for far less. I like the idea of Royal if he comes cheap. He would at least provide some depth at WR. Love the draft, though. I would learn how to do back flips if our draft went like that.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i would want to see him in MIA as well if not a niner with Bush D wade amd Labron take his talents to south beach!!! lol

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i want them to bring alex smith back he deserves another chance after the year he had last season....i'm not on the manning bandwagon i hope he goes to the dolphins

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i want them to bring alex smith back he deserves another chance after the year he had last season....i'm not on the manning bandwagon i hope he goes to the dolphins

Props for your honesty. I personally hate the circle-jerk re: guys on other teams. This is a little different because he's a FA to be, but still - he's not our guy until he's our guy; I'm not going to heap praise on someone's else's player. I'll root for the drafted Alex before the paid Manning but, of course, the Niners above all. If Manning comes, I will then consider him our guy and start rooting for him, but until that day, he's just some other team's QB. I can wait to see how this turns out before going crazy about Manning. (Since I have no say over it, it's easy to do.)

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well where ever Manning ends up for the team that gets him I hope it isn't a bust,getting him will cost 12 mil a year at least,I would hate to be that team if Manning took 1 big hit and was gone

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The injuy is not going to get worse from a hard hit. They already have said this.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jets will join the race for Manning
8:37 AM ET
New York Jets

When Peyton Manning and the Colts finally "part ways", the vultures around the league will quickly circle around the future Hall of Fame quarterback. One of those teams will be the New York Jets according to Brian Costello of the New York Post.

"A source said (Tuesday) the Jets definitely will explore the possibility of signing Manning," Costello reported. "The team needs to see how healthy he is before deciding its level of commitment, but it will be in the mix.

If the Jets make a legitimate play for Manning and come to sign him, then a decision will have to be made regarding the team's incumbent quarterback, Mark Sanchez.

"Sign Manning and that likely spells the end for Mark Sanchez, whom they drafted with the fifth overall pick in 2009," Costello wrote. "It has been suggested Sanchez could sit behind Manning for two years, but it would be tough for Sanchez to deal with after leading the team to the AFC title game in his first two seasons."

- Brent Sobleski​

James Walker
Do Jets have shot at Peyton Manning?

"The team seems committed to Sanchez for at least one more year. But New York also could have put out the Manning fires a long time ago and chose not to. Several teams, including the AFC East rival Miami Dolphins, have made it clear that Manning is a priority. That would be extremely dangerous for the Jets to face Tom Brady and Manning four times a year within the division. That may be enough to convince the Jets to try to recruit Manning for themselves. New York's salary cap space isn't the best, and Sanchez is due to make a lot of money next year. Monetarily is doesn't look like the Jets are in position for Manning. But maybe the Jets have been dodging the Manning question for a reason."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't think of a better situation for manning then sf I know the lines the not greatest but he will make the line and vd a hell of a lot better.

I always thought that Wayne a little bit overrated. At one time people were saying he was a top 3 receiver in the league. I was like Oh My...!

Manning, can have the same affect on Crabtree as well. A healthy Manning would make Crabtree look like a so called top-3 receiver in the league. lol.