• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think there's more to it than that, though. Obviously we know Smith's psyche has been delicate, to say the least. If it leaked that we were gunning hard for Manning, and then we didn't get him, we'd be in a bad situation. Smith is still an FA, and he might count that as the final betrayal before going elsewhere (maybe, I admit I don't know what's going on in Smith's head). That only leaves us with question marks at QB.

I would be up for giving control to Kaepernick, but I don't think that comes without consequence. Ultimately it may not matter, because I don't think Smith can replicate 17/5 again, but I wouldn't want to hurt Smith's confidence unless we get Manning locked up.

Maybe I'm overthinking this stuff, but I'd be willing to bet Baalke and Harbaugh are as well.

Do we want to hitch our wagon to a QB who is that mentally weak?

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do we want to hitch our wagon to a QB who is that mentally weak?

Alex has weaknesses, but being mentally weak is not one of them. Consider everything he's been through so far in his career, that fact that he stuck with the 9ers (not that he had many options, but still...) and had the year that he did proves the exact opposite.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex has weaknesses, but being mentally weak is not one of them. Consider everything he's been through so far in his career, that fact that he stuck with the 9ers (not that he had many options, but still...) and had the year that he did proves the exact opposite.

The OP said Smith's fragile psyche might not withstand a 49er offer to Manning. If that is true, then he is mentally weak. That's what I was questioning

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going after manning might make smith better. he didn't really put things together until he basically got booed out of the stadium

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't say he was mentally weak (I realize Mozart explained his stance). I said his psyche has been delicate after being thrown under the bus by Nolan, benched by Martz, and thrown under the bus on national television by Singletary, before being benched for Carr, and then again for Troy Smith.

It shows with the way he plays. It seems like he's under the impression that if he makes a mistake, he'll never play again. That screams fragile psyche to me.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had your wind here in Arizona yesterday and it is freezing ass cold here today. Expect cold temperatures out your way tomorrow. Carry on

Awesome. Just in time for the weekend. Hooray.

Might have to rethink the whole, "I'm not brewing this weekend" thing.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Awesome. Just in time for the weekend. Hooray.

Might have to rethink the whole, "I'm not brewing this weekend" thing.

How is that brewing business going anyway? I have a friend who does that here and he makes some pretty nice beers but unfortunately he and his partner drink up most of the profits.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say he was mentally weak (I realize Mozart explained his stance). I said his psyche has been delicate after being thrown under the bus by Nolan, benched by Martz, and thrown under the bus on national television by Singletary, before being benched for Carr, and then again for Troy Smith.

It shows with the way he plays. It seems like he's under the impression that if he makes a mistake, he'll never play again. That screams fragile psyche to me.

He never actually did get benched for Carr and he knows the person that was going to do it wasn't exactly knowledgable enough to be making a real criticism of him as a QB for him to care that much. I think he's gained some confidence in himself last year and the Saints game that he should be able to withstand the thought of the Niners inquiring on Manning.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can we get both Manning and Andre Johnson? That would be fun.

No, but there's a remote possibility that the Niners could get Manning and then CALVIN Johnson next year because Megatron almost certainly won't be franchised. His salary would be close to $26 Million.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that brewing business going anyway? I have a friend who does that here and he makes some pretty nice beers but unfortunately he and his partner drink up most of the profits.

Don't have an establishment yet, but closing in on it. I also have a partner, and we're making some pretty good stuff. Hopefully in the next 18 months we'll be up and running.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never actually did get benched for Carr and he knows the person that was going to do it wasn't exactly knowledgable enough to be making a real criticism of him as a QB for him to care that much. I think he's gained some confidence in himself last year and the Saints game that he should be able to withstand the thought of the Niners inquiring on Manning.

You're right. He got dinged up in the Carolina game that Carr choked away.

It's still a pretty big slight, though. Think about it from his perspective. After all he's been through, and posting his best season the team STILL considers him expendable. That's not a minor thing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is interesting in light of what happened with Peyton...but I think it speaks to the differences in how they view their love for the team. Hard to be sure w/o knowing what Irsay and Petyon talked about...

Eli Manning restructures, gives New York Giants cap relief - ESPN New York

We don't even know that the Colts asked him to restructure, and if they did, what the terms were. If they asked him to take a 50% pay cut, he'd be justified in turning it down.

Oh, and by the way, Eli didn't take a pay cut. He just restructured to free up cap space. Next time you read the article before you paste it:

The franchise quarterback still will get all of the $10.75 million, with $9 million of it being paid up front and guaranteed, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. He got dinged up in the Carolina game that Carr choked away.

It's still a pretty big slight, though. Think about it from his perspective. After all he's been through, and posting his best season the team STILL considers him expendable. That's not a minor thing.

I think Alex has full confidence that Harbaugh does not think he is expendable.

I think about it from his perspective and it goes something like this... "I have an awesome coach now who isn't a total dumbass who won't throw me under the bus and who actually respects and praises me. I am playing a game for even more ridiculous amounts of money than the shitloads I already have. I've got teammates who love me and I have no reason at all to have a fragile psyche cause I've already been through all the shit that could possibly be thrown at me (including having my best friend kill himself). I am not going anywhere if I can help it all I want to do now is win some football games for this team and this coach. I could give a shit about Peyton Manning although he seems like a really nice guy."

I agree with those who say his career to this point has proven he does not have a fragile psyche no matter what else his flaws might be.