• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Based on the context provided - absolutely!

I won't tell you what to believe either; but, if you disagree and believe, despite the context I provided, that Crabtree would still put up "1200+ yards easy", then I don't think it is me running around this board with a brain tumor.

Given that the context you provided (including upgrading the other WR spots) directly conflicts with the context I provided (no changes at WR) when I suggested 1,200+ yards, we're now having two different conversations.

Pending our FA and draft moves, though - and injury to QB and WR, of course - I'd wager Crabtree will have 800+ yards next season if we have either Smith or Manning at QB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where's Alex Smith's deal?
4:26 PM ET
San Francisco 49ers

Though it's expected by many that the business relationship between the San Francisco 49ers and QB Alex Smith will continue into the 2012 season and beyond, there's no signed agreement on file yet, a fact that we examined on Monday. But this lack of a deal has caused speculation to run wild -- at least in some corners of the digital realm -- that the Niners are preparing to make a pitch to Peyton Manning, and they want to see whether they can land him before finalizing things with Smith.

We can put that speculation in the "debunked" folder, based upon a report from Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. Barrows confirms that the Niners have had a deal on the table for Smith for quite some time, but that the Smith camp is looking for additional years on the pact -- and additional guaranteed money. The Niners, in turn, can easily tell Smith to hit the bricks (if they so desire) and have him see what his value is on the open market after March 13. However, things can change before that deadline, and the negotiations may heat up prior to then.

One interesting aspect to this situation, though, is the fact that Smith happens to share an agent with Manning -- Tom Condon of CAA. As Condon is making calls this week concerning No. 18, he could also be making mental notes as to which teams could be a fit for Smith. All of this will be moot, of course, if Smith signs the deal with the Niners prior to Tuesday.

- Tim Kavanagh​

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a mess that Smith and Manning are both represented by the same guy. So, if the 49ers show interest in Manning and feel around... Condon is going to get off the phone and call Smith to let him know the 49ers are looking at Manning.

Then what happens? Does Smith just go ahead and sign the 3 year deal to accept whats offered to him by the 49ers before they pull the deal off the table? Or does Smith get butthurt and decide to leave because the 49ers asked about Manning?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
dont they have to keep that confidential?

In that scenario he provided above, I do not see a breach of confidentiality in this case. Nor would the agent be violating any law pertaining to conflict of interest. If anything, he is mandated to report to both of his clients the 9ers perceived intentions - since is is required of him to look out for the best interest of his client/s.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont they have to keep that confidential?

I don't know, don't think so. I was thinking about Lawyer-Client confidentiality, and the 49ers aren't the client. So anything they ask about can be talked about, like how Condon is saying which teams asked about Manning so far.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only thing I'm sure is unethical is if he sacrifices one of his players to get a better deal for the other. He is supposed to act in both of their best interests. But as far as telling one that the other is being discussed by one team or another? I don't see any ethical violations there. He just can't screw his own clients, even if it gets another client a better deal.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, don't think so. I was thinking about Lawyer-Client confidentiality, and the 49ers aren't the client. So anything they ask about can be talked about, like how Condon is saying which teams asked about Manning so far.

Not quite. For instance, Alex cannot ask for details in terms of what is the offer the 9ers have on the table for Peyton Manning. That's certainly not of his concern to know. All is is "required to know" is that he is not the only QB the 9ers are pursuing and that they have made an offer to another client of his (in this case Peyton Manning).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite. For instance, Alex cannot ask for details in terms of what is the offer the 9ers have on the table for Peyton Manning. That's certainly not of his concern to know. All is is "required to know" is that he is not the only QB the 9ers are pursuing and that they have made an offer to another client of his (in this case Peyton Manning).

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I'm sure you're right, I shouldn't have said anything could be relayed to Smith. Thanks

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As if there weren't enough dumb ideas floating around, here's one of the dumbest yet from Grant Cohn playing devil's advocate.

Why the Niners don’t want to sign Peyton Manning - Inside the 49ers

Signing Manning would hurt the Niners' D because playing against a finesse, gimmicky offense in practice would reduce their toughness. There are too many glaring flaws in this argument to even merit picking it apart. Sheesh. There are plenty of legitimate reasons not to want Manning. This one is just idiotic.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As if there weren't enough dumb ideas floating around, here's one of the dumbest yet from Grant Cohn playing devil's advocate.

Signing Manning would hurt the Niners' D because playing against a finesse, gimmicky offense in practice would reduce their toughness. There are too many glaring flaws in this argument to even merit picking it apart. Sheesh. There are plenty of legitimate reasons not to want Manning. This one is just idiotic.

I'm leaving my office now. If I had more time I would have left a message on the bottom of his blog saying something to extent of: "I didn't know acquiring manning would cause # 94 and #52 to forget how to be physical with an F". Also, he's making a crucial mistake in assuming that Manning would be practicing against our 1st team D all the damn time. Even if it could be scientifically proven that Manning's style of play would cause the D to be soft, he failed to take into consideration that the 2nd team D would in that case be the unit that becomes "soft".

You're absolutely right, Crimson. That is by far the most idiotic poster for the month. He outdid Iguana.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I'm sure is unethical is if he sacrifices one of his players to get a better deal for the other. He is supposed to act in both of their best interests. But as far as telling one that the other is being discussed by one team or another? I don't see any ethical violations there. He just can't screw his own clients, even if it gets another client a better deal.

Given that, what a shitty situation to be in for Condon. Example: SF offers Smith the only offer he's going to get (hypothetically, not because I don't think anybody else will offer Smith one), which Condon stands to gain $2.6M off of. SF also offers Manning the most lucrative contract by 26 million dollars. Assuming a 10% fee for Condon, he's essentially losing money. And technically, he's screwing Manning out of 26 million because he also represents Smith.

Nice Catch 22 there. I know it's unreasonable, but I would try to avoid representing guys who play the same position if I had a marquee player like Manning.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Am I just ignorant here, or is the fact that Manning would never play against the first string defense in practice something that merits mentioning?

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaving my office now. If I had more time I would have left a message on the bottom of his blog saying something to extent of: "I didn't know acquiring manning would cause # 94 and #52 to forget how to be physical with an F". Also, he's making a crucial mistake in assuming that Manning would be practicing against our 1st team D all the damn time. Even if it could be scientifically proven that Manning's style of play would cause the D to be soft, he failed to take into consideration that the 2nd team D would in that case be the unit that becomes "soft".

You're absolutely right, Crimson. That is by far the most idiotic poster for the month. He outdid Iguana.

Beat me to the punch, BINGO. Cheers.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I just ignorant here, or is the fact that Manning would never play against the first string offense in practice something that merits mentioning?

Ha Ha. Nope, I think you just debunked that writer's off-the-wall theory.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love for our secondary and pass rush to have to defend against Manning's quick reads, releases and accurate tight window throws.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love for our secondary and pass rush to have to defend against Manning's quick reads, releases and accurate tight window throws.

Manning wouldn't be practicing against those guys, though. He'd be going against the second team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Am I just ignorant here, or is the fact that Manning would never play against the first string defense in practice something that merits mentioning?

Yeah, that was one of those glaring flaws. Arguably the biggest. Starters go up against the second and third string in practice. It is extremely rare for the first team to play each other after training camp.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Given that, what a shitty situation to be in for Condon. Example: SF offers Smith the only offer he's going to get (hypothetically, not because I don't think anybody else will offer Smith one), which Condon stands to gain $2.6M off of. SF also offers Manning the most lucrative contract by 26 million dollars. Assuming a 10% fee for Condon, he's essentially losing money. And technically, he's screwing Manning out of 26 million because he also represents Smith.

Nice Catch 22 there. I know it's unreasonable, but I would try to avoid representing guys who play the same position if I had a marquee player like Manning.

It Ain't Easy Swimmin in Green

Seriously, whatever or however he does it, he has so many QBs he's probably been through this a million times. Probably always talking to all kinds of teams about his various clients.