• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic, Wilt, Timmy

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh, where's MJ? :scratch: Magic = GOAT

Last edited by a moderator:

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr.Russell has something to say about that. 11 rings don't lie, and no one bring up Horry or Kerr because Russell lead his team to those rings. Magic being #1 though is pretty fucking impressive though because its harder to get a double-double with assists than rebounds. I believe he also has the most playoff triple doubles too.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Russell wouldn't have gotten off the pine playing for the Showtime Lakers at their prime.

:kidding:

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 60s Celtics would have smacked the Showtime Lakers. Kareem would have been shut down and Russell would have blocked every shot Magic tried taking inside the paint.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 60s Celtics would have smacked the Showtime Lakers. Kareem would have been shut down and Russell would have blocked every shot Magic tried taking inside the paint.

Dad, what are you doing on SportsHoopla? Dad? Is that you, Dad?

You gotta be kidding, man. I'd like to see those Celtics defend a Showtime fast break. The Lakers would fucking DOMINATE those teams, just like they did everyone else.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr.Russell has something to say about that. 11 rings don't lie, and no one bring up Horry or Kerr because Russell lead his team to those rings. Magic being #1 though is pretty fucking impressive though because its harder to get a double-double with assists than rebounds. I believe he also has the most playoff triple doubles too.

There is a difference between Bill Russell winning 11 championships and Rober Horry winning 7 championships. Bill Russell won them by being the leader, an elite player and being the best. Horry won his by leeching onto championship teams and helping them just enough to get his credit and then moving on when the teams became losers and headed to the next winner in site. Horry for the record was also a dirty player.

I put Russell, Magic, Wilt, Kareem and Michael Jordan at the top, but you have to keep in mind that Jordan got away with a lot of travelling that is no longer allowed and a lot elbows into faces that is also no longer allowed. In today's team I really don't think Jordan would have won any championships

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't dominate the 84 Celtics that had them stopping at the light. You talking about stopping the Showtime fast break ,I would like to see those Lakers stop the Russell Celtics fast break, the true greatest fastbreak of all time.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't dominate the 84 Celtics that had them stopping at the light. You talking about stopping the Showtime fast break ,I would like to see those Lakers stop the Russell Celtics fast break, the true greatest fastbreak of all time.

Hey man, curious how old you are if you don't mind me asking?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too old...

You just have more perspective. :suds:

I'll never believe that any team could ever run the fast-break like the Showtime Lakers. That was perfection.

Tommy Heinson loved 'em too.

Last edited by a moderator:

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics fast break was based off Russell more so than Cousy or KC Jones or whoever the PG was. Russell would grab the rebound and fire off as quick of an outlet pass as possible. He would also be able to block shots in the direction of his guards to initiate the fast break. Here is a small excerpt:

Later in the day, we were discussing leadership and Russell revealed that he never criticized a teammate publicly or privately. Not once. Not during his entire 13-year career. What was the point? Everyone already knew Russell was their best player — why undermine their confidence by making them doubt themselves, or even worse, making them wonder if he believed in them? How was that productive? Russell believed, and still believes, that a basketball team only achieves its potential if everyone embraces their roles — you figure out what you have, split the responsibilities and you're off. The less thinking, the better. Early in their playing partnership, Russell asked Bob Cousy to find a specific spot every time an opponent attempted a shot — about 25 feet away from the basket, on the left or right side — so Russell could snare the rebound, whirl around and throw Cousy an outlet pass in one motion. After a few months, they didn't even think about it anymore. Shot, spot, rebound, release, go. In time, Tommy Heinsohn took off right before Russell grabbed that rebound, as did everyone else wearing white-and-green, and suddenly, the greatest fast break in basketball history was off and running.

Its from a story on Kobe The Sports Guy talks NBA leadership with Bill Russell, plus Week 14 picks - Grantland great read but you get what I'm saying from that excerpt. The Lakers showtime offense was great because of Magic's passing ability and his near perfect early-offense play-calling. I still say the greatest fast breaks are:

1.) 60s Celtics
2.) 80s Lakers

Everyone else

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I wasn't alive to witness it and there is certainly something to be said for giving credit to the originals. Period.

Now, that said, I just can't imagine that any team in NBA history could stand up to the domination and devastation that was '87/'88 Showtime in a 7-game series. I'd say the closest team to compete would be the '86 Celtics. The '87 Lakers would sweep the '90s Bulls and/or Bad Boyz in any incarnation. Sweep 'em.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you serious? Did you see the talent differenc e from the 60's to the 80s? I would take any good team from the 80's over those 60's celtics.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? Did you see the talent differenc e from the 60's to the 80s? I would take any good team from the 80's over those 60's celtics.

you have to make an adjustment for sports science and size of league etc.

If we do not account for sports science and just say here: you 2 play MJ looks a lot more like Westbrook than what he looked like in the 90s.

Is there a list of career playoff double doubles? I am googling and not finding shit!

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we do not account for sports science and just say here: you 2 play MJ looks a lot more like Westbrook than what he looked like in the 90s.

:wtf:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a slight exaggeration but if you do not think sport science has come leaps and bounds in 10 years you are wrong.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a slight exaggeration but if you do not think sport science has come leaps and bounds in 10 years you are wrong.

I just didn't understand that statement. Am I missing something? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Wilt and those guys played in canvas All-Stars. Of course things have come a long way.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I made the assumption that him choosing every 80s team over every 60s team meant he didn't account for things like sport science advancements. If you put them on the court together I would take the more modern team probably 95% of the time but comparing their dominance over the league at the time I am not sure how you could not choose the 60s Celtics.

As for Jordan, the player that reminds me most of him is Westbrook. No disrespect to either player, just the styles and skill sets match up more to me. (Obviously Jordan's skill set was much more advanced.)

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Russell played on a team with 11 HOFers. I find it HILARIOUS that we're going to criticize other players for playing with HOF talent and not him.

I also don't think he even starts for the Showtime Lakers as well. WHO is he going to put on the bench from that frontcourt? He was a very UNDERSIZED center in his day that would get KILLED in today's game. He would have to move to PF or SF.......