• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Magic numbers

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston - Eliminated

Sad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most disappointing part about yesterday is that it put a serious dent in the chances for WC1 and hosting playoff games.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news I suppose in all this losing is that as of today we would play the Guardians and winner takes on the Yankees. That might be the best case scenario for the Mariners.
Just to circle back on this. The Guardians have won 18 of 21 since being swept by the Mariners a few weeks ago including dominating the Twins and White Sox and basically ending their season.

I know we won 6 of 7 against them but I see this as a be careful what you wish for kind of thing. Personally WC3 and facing them is my least desirable choice. I much prefer to matchup with toronto either at home or the road. As now it seems unlikely we will face Tampa. Basically down to Cleveland or Toronto and I much prefer the Blue Jays

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to circle back on this. The Guardians have won 18 of 21 since being swept by the Mariners a few weeks ago including dominating the Twins and White Sox and basically ending their season.

I know we won 6 of 7 against them but I see this as a be careful what you wish for kind of thing. Personally WC3 and facing them is my least desirable choice. I much prefer to matchup with toronto either at home or the road. As now it seems unlikely we will face Tampa. Basically down to Cleveland or Toronto and I much prefer the Blue Jays
Yes but Toronto means Astros so I would much rather do Guardians and Yankees. I am looking at big picture and not just one round. Just making it and winning one series does little for me. I know I amore harsh on them, but just because it has been 20 years I don't take solace in single steps. Play to win it all or at least make it to the WS for the first time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want the 6 seed at all. It would mean we only broke the streak because they expanded the playoffs. I don't trust them to beat anyone in baseball right now.

Get the 4 so we have home games or take the 5 since that still legitimately breaks the streak. Hope they pull their collective heads out of their asses and actually play decent ball against whoever. Maybe they get lucky and win a series.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm beginning to wonder if Servais is throwing our games, like we're just not ready to contend yet. After yesterday, it sure seemed that way.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the 4 so we have home games or take the 5 since that still legitimately breaks the streak. Hope they pull their collective heads out of their asses and actually play decent ball against whoever. Maybe they get lucky and win a series.
Technically 5 isn't even legit. It came in in 2012 so even that was expanded. To me I don't count anything as legit playoffs until the actual home and away series' begin. Everything else is just extended regular season.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees need to beat toronto for 3
To win the division..at least that..
Would give the mariners a chance

To catch up a bit..the mariners fate may
Not be in there own hands..
If they run 10..yeah..if they loose..5 or 6
Baltimore..could beat them put them out of it..

And I agree..i don't want..the ..3rd..playoff
Spot after...20 ..years of waiting..
Is like not having..a playoff spot..
Cuz they act like they created it for
The mariners..no..no thanks...
But they will have to take it...if they W inn it...or want it....

Regaurdless.
Even
If fans are shamed....of it..

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically 5 isn't even legit. It came in in 2012 so even that was expanded. To me I don't count anything as legit playoffs until the actual home and away series' begin. Everything else is just extended regular season.
Yes, I hear you. The thing with the 5 though is it has been there for 10 of the 21 years and the M's couldn't even reach that.

Reaching the 6 and finishing with under 90 wins would feel like a step backward even if it technically breaks the streak. The 5 and < 90 still at least did something they couldn't do the last 10 years. => 90 and the 4 would feel like a solid step forward. All irrespective of what they do with any of those seeds in the first round.

That doesn't mean in any way that people should be satisfied with just those higher seeds and a quick out in the first round.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I hear you. The thing with the 5 though is it has been there for 10 of the 21 years and the M's couldn't even reach that.

Reaching the 6 and finishing with under 90 wins would feel like a step backward even if it technically breaks the streak. The 5 and < 90 still at least did something they couldn't do the last 10 years. => 90 and the 4 would feel like a solid step forward. All irrespective of what they do with any of those seeds in the first round.

That doesn't mean in any way that people should be satisfied with just those higher seeds and a quick out in the first round.
I agree wit you. I think expanding the playoffs is a joke, and a one and done series doesn't do anything for me.I just want the #6 seed because it is an easier path to the WS. For me WS is the only legitimate year end. We have made the playoffs before. We have played in the AL championship before. I am waiting for the next step in the evaluation of the Mariners. Just because they have been so shitty for 2 decades doesn't mean we should ease up on expectations.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree wit you. I think expanding the playoffs is a joke, and a one and done series doesn't do anything for me.I just want the #6 seed because it is an easier path to the WS. For me WS is the only legitimate year end. We have made the playoffs before. We have played in the AL championship before. I am waiting for the next step in the evaluation of the Mariners. Just because they have been so shitty for 2 decades doesn't mean we should ease up on expectations.
That's why we were pissed we didn't see enough action last off season and no real push to shore up the batting at the trade deadline. They have outstanding pitching and look like they are wasting it this year.

I expect more, but they haven't done nearly enough to reach those expectations.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but Toronto means Astros so I would much rather do Guardians and Yankees. I am looking at big picture and not just one round. Just making it and winning one series does little for me. I know I amore harsh on them, but just because it has been 20 years I don't take solace in single steps. Play to win it all or at least make it to the WS for the first time.
Tbh with what I am seeing I care little about who we would play after the first round.

Imo Toronto is a better matchup then Cleveland. We won 6/7 against Cleveland but that last series we were fortunate to face none of their good pitching and still barely eeked out a couple of games.

I get wanting to avoid the astros but I cant even think that far ahead. However if we want to reach our ultimate goal we have learn how to beat them at some point

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why we were pissed we didn't see enough action last off season and no real push to shore up the batting at the trade deadline. They have outstanding pitching and look like they are wasting it this year.

I expect more, but they haven't done nearly enough to reach those expectations.
I think the pitching will allow them to make some noise if they get back to back to the way it was prior to the last few weeks. The starting pitching I am seeing right now is scaring me.

Without the starters being great, we dont have a shot to do anything

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbh with what I am seeing I care little about who we would play after the first round.

Imo Toronto is a better matchup then Cleveland. We won 6/7 against Cleveland but that last series we were fortunate to face none of their good pitching and still barely eeked out a couple of games.

I get wanting to avoid the astros but I cant even think that far ahead. However if we want to reach our ultimate goal we have learn how to beat them at some point
Yes but we aren't at that point so avoid at all cost or just let the Orioles have it. Play for it all or why bother.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now down to TWO! Boston beat Orioles again earlier today.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down to 1.

Clinch day is here boys.

21 years of futility gone. They do have issues, but for now it's time to mark the end of the streak.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been working for 2 hours so far this morning but it feels like its been 10 ugh.

Just ready for tonight, have been waiting for this day for too long

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Baltimore beats the Yankees today so the Mariners could clinch it with a win. Since the Baltimore Yankee game is earlier than our game.

it would probably be more fun to clinch it themselves than have it be over before the mariners play today.