• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I asked ChatGPT to list its top 10 all-time NBA players

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. I've also seen Jerry Stackhouse slam it from the line too but the difference is Jordan got all the ink.
Advertising and marketing ( with some liberal traveling calls ) helped Jordan's career.
He wasn't all that at UNC ( still can't say he was on of the 5 the best there but can say most famous ) and none of us there thought he had the talent of Magic or Bird. History will show he had talent but the ink and the stories propelled his fame more than what the other 2 got and maybe not Bird as much but Magic talent rivaled Jordans.

lol

MJ was "all that" at UNC. However, he played for Dean Smith who had a system and did not allow players to deviate from it. There were also other high level players on those teams (James Worthy for 1) which meant the touches and shots were distributed among other players.

In the NBA, he went to a bad Bulls team which then was built around him. His field goal attempts jumped from 13.2 per game to 22.9 per game in the NBA and his points per game rose from 17.7 to 30.1.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never compared the 2 just said if thinking a dunk from the free throw line was supposed to mean something, Stackhouse did the same thing, no big deal
I do agree the game was different for Magic and MJ but what I posted was the events prior to the anointment.
I bought up his college presence because it did have something to do with who and what he was groomed for.I heard the story of the floundering NBA and the Renaissance provided by Magic and Bird . The major story back then was Dean Smith winning a National Championship and Jordan fit the supporting role ( although it was only a brief moment and was not the major factor of the win ) .
Jordan's fame was born from that story that's why it was noted.
What I said is Jordan was a product of investment and in a time where the NBA needed a shot in arm. No other player received more attention and progressive gerrymandering, that has to be a factor in his claim to fame

Nah.

His scoring titles and NBA championships were real.

Dunking from the free throw line was a novelty act.

I will always point out that MJ gets too much solo credit in individual greatness conversations for those 6 titles. He was the leader of some great teams in an era when talent was way more spread out than it is today.

But he absolutely earned his place at the top of the list of NBA greats.

And what you are saying implies that it was given to him.

Just not true.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never compared the 2 just said if thinking a dunk from the free throw line was supposed to mean something, Stackhouse did the same thing, no big deal
I do agree the game was different for Magic and MJ but what I posted was the events prior to the anointment.
I bought up his college presence because it did have something to do with who and what he was groomed for.I heard the story of the floundering NBA and the Renaissance provided by Magic and Bird . The major story back then was Dean Smith winning a National Championship and Jordan fit the supporting role ( although it was only a brief moment and was not the major factor of the win ) .
Jordan's fame was born from that story that's why it was noted.
What I said is Jordan was a product of investment and in a time where the NBA needed a shot in arm. No other player received more attention and progressive gerrymandering, that has to be a factor in his claim to fame
You have the order reversed

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ was "all that" at UNC.
He was a good player there. Nobody ( the student body ) saw him as exceptional or that far above his teammates. There was great excitement when Kenny Smith joined the team and Brad Daugherty, just as much as when Jordan arrived. I know what the atmosphere was there, I lived through it daily.
Jordan's aura took off after he left and after years and decades of propping him up, nobody will believe the truths or the conflicting stories, unless of course, you were there. It's sacrilegious to write against him.
Jordan has a hard time being mentioned when ranking the top5 there.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if you care to laugh go ahead but I'm not going to say something I don't feel strongly about, and with good reason. I don't talk much NBA, don't find it as interesting as before. You don't know the same people I know ( and you know some I don't ) so why be taken back? it's not as if nobody is allowed to know them.
Things are not what they seem to be, there's always an underlying story of fascination.
I play golf with a guy who's dead, well at least people think he is because they read the highly publicized obituary, but I know differently.
I don't say these things to impress anyone, and it won't matter to you anyway but because it seems unlikely to the naked eye or what the media or history has fed us there is no reason to think otherwise, right? I' didn't lead an average life and so the people I met and things I did most won't or can't accept because they never had the chance, not my fault.
I don't get into critical personal information but I do share some things and experiences and this is one of them.
You are right on brother. The 7 guys in this forum don't have anything better to do. Nba lifers since '95. Slobbing every knob espn told them to slob.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right on brother. The 7 guys in this forum don't have anything better to do. Nba lifers since '95. Slobbing every knob espn told them to slob.
I appreciate that and I meant what I said. The media reports and writers write stories, they do investigate but often tell the story through opinion. I know what I'm talking about when I say MJ would still be MJ and void of the media slobbering would still have the talent and the played the game. The point I made was he became a global phenomenon because of advertising and marketing. The league's saviors were already there but there was a need to go beyond and enter the storyline of Smith's first title and emergence that contributed to it.
Steph Curry, Kobe, and even LeBron have exceptional talent and lack that global face that came with Jordan.
There is no need now to market the NBA so the talent remains but they get no aggressive marketing.
Jordan and his image were the recipients of an aggressive marketing campaign to propel the NBA. To me, Jordan was a great NBA player but I can't say he was the greatest while Wilt shared the hardwood ( and yes I was fortunate to meet both )

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate that and I meant what I said. The media reports and writers write stories, they do investigate but often tell the story through opinion. I know what I'm talking about when I say MJ would still be MJ and void of the media slobbering would still have the talent and the played the game. The point I made was he became a global phenomenon because of advertising and marketing. The league's saviors were already there but there was a need to go beyond and enter the storyline of Smith's first title and emergence that contributed to it.
Steph Curry, Kobe, and even LeBron have exceptional talent and lack that global face that came with Jordan.
There is no need now to market the NBA so the talent remains but they get no aggressive marketing.
Jordan and his image were the recipients of an aggressive marketing campaign to propel the NBA. To me, Jordan was a great NBA player but I can't say he was the greatest while Wilt shared the hardwood ( and yes I was fortunate to meet both )

Cmon man.

Players today are absolutely marketed very aggressively.

The difference is that MJ was a pioneer when it came to marketing athletes. It was a new idea.

You just don’t notice as much because there are many guys that get those deals, whereas in MJ’s time he was the only one on that level.

Of course that played into the aura of MJ.

But there was a lot more to it.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I struggle with Russell, but can't deny his winning and defense. Nobody has or ever will win like he did.

In current NBA is he just a far better Ben Wallace? Which is still very much elite.
What you're struggling with is falling into a K-hole while on a 17 day meth run. Russell is a far better Ben Wallace. Good fuckin grief.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you're struggling with is falling into a K-hole while on a 17 day meth run. Russell is a far better Ben Wallace. Good fuckin grief.
Hard to rebut such a well thought out analysis.