• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lonzo ball rookie year

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are people openly wanting him to fail because of his Dad

I'm not like that. I only want him to fail because he plays for the Fakers :thumb:

:dhd:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a point. The difference is, it was guys who were there to shoot and weren't much use if they weren't hitting shots.

Lonzo does several other things well which should allow him a little longer leash. Especially since he's a pass first guy.

Where it could become a problem is if he's not any better and teams have success backing off of him to double other players.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think he needs to at least be good enough so that he can't be ignored. But he doesn't have to become a knock down shooter from 3 like guys who don't have a lot of other skills.
Just decent.

If he can be average, even better.

His problems are cyclical.

He won't shoot from the field because he knows he will miss.

He won't drive to the hole because he knows he's getting hacked and sent to the line.

As disgusting as it sounds, get ready to see hack-a-Lonzo early and often.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just decent.

He won't drive to the hole because he knows he's getting hacked and sent to the line.

Hack a Lonzo might actually be just what he needs.

Get some volume and build some rhythm and confidence from the line. He can't actually be THAT bad at free throws.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get some volume and build some rhythm and confidence from the line. He can't actually be THAT bad at free throws.

Practice alone should get him to 60%.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6.9 rpg

7.2 apg

10.2 ppg

1.7 steals per game

Jason kidd the HOF almost identical numbers.

/discuss

He's gonna be a stud

Now if he can only get his dad to shut the fuck up

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just decent.

Yeah, to me, the free throw shooting is the bigger issue. If he doesn't improve from 3 point range, his other skills are enough to keep him the league as a starting pg. But if teams can use Hack-A-Lonzo effectively, he can't be on the floor late in close games and that will be a problem.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what started happening with Shaq. Teams would use Hack-A-Shaq too much and he'd actually get into a rhythm and the strategy would start working against them.

As a result, teams ended up using a lot less and it wasn't nearly as effective when they did use it.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what started happening with Shaq. Teams would use Hack-A-Shaq too much and he'd actually get into a rhythm and the strategy would start working against them.

As a result, teams ended up using a lot less and it wasn't nearly as effective when they did use it.
Exactly.

Lonzo can get to the rim.

If he starts hitting his freebies, it's a whole new ball game.

He may never live up to the J Kidd comparison.

But, he could easily be a bigger and better rebounding Rod Strickland.

Strickland couldn't shoot his way out of a paper bag using a Uzi.

But, that Fucker could get to the hole and had one of the sweetest reverse layups in history.

Career 72% from the line 45% from the field and assy from 3 at 28%, 13 ppg and 7 dimes.

If Lonzo gives you that playing with Lebron?

That would work.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup, I hate the strategy of just doing it over and over again. I think you have to mix it up and use it for a possession or two, then take one or two off, then do it again. Rhythm and mind games are a real thing. If he thinks he's gonna get fouled, he might also have a different approach that time down the court and won't be in kill mode.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could be right.

As long as he doesn't go mental midget like Nick Anderson.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, to me, the free throw shooting is the bigger issue. If he doesn't improve from 3 point range, his other skills are enough to keep him the league as a starting pg. But if teams can use Hack-A-Lonzo effectively, he can't be on the floor late in close games and that will be a problem.

He averaged less than 2 FTs per game last year. Repetition will help, and he should bounce back to at least his college FT%.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right.

As long as he doesn't go mental midget like Nick Anderson.

George Hill and JR Smith say, "Hold my beer..."

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Lonzo can get to the rim.

Can he? I didn't see a lot of evidence of that. He has an average handle. He has sub-average athleticism. I didn't see a lot of evidence of Lonzo being able to get to the rim outside of being given a wide open lane that anyone could exploit.

If he starts hitting his freebies, it's a whole new ball game.

He may never live up to the J Kidd comparison.

But, he could easily be a bigger and better rebounding Rod Strickland.

Strickland couldn't shoot his way out of a paper bag using a Uzi.

But, that Fucker could get to the hole and had one of the sweetest reverse layups in history.

Career 72% from the line 45% from the field and assy from 3 at 28%, 13 ppg and 7 dimes.

If Lonzo gives you that playing with Lebron?

That would work.

He needs those first 2 numbers to be there. He doesn't need to be a great 3 point shooter. But I don't think he is a great threat to get to the rime which means his mid-range has to be very effective.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he? I didn't see a lot of evidence of that. He has an average handle. He has sub-average athleticism. I didn't see a lot of evidence of Lonzo being able to get to the rim outside of being given a wide open lane that anyone could exploit.

He needs those first 2 numbers to be there. He doesn't need to be a great 3 point shooter. But I don't think he is a great threat to get to the rime which means his mid-range has to be very effective.
I think he can get to the rim.

He's bigger, but not faster, than most starting pg's.

Having a good midrange would be ideal. He would be able to shoot over the top of most guys.

But, of all the possible starters on the Lakers, outside of McGee, Lonzo is the guy that you dare to beat you.

He should have some wide open lanes to the basket because his man will likely double on LeBron.

That's why he has to get decent from the line.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he can get to the rim.

He's bigger, but not faster, than most starting pg's.

Having a good midrange would be ideal. He would be able to shoot over the top of most guys.

But, of all the possible starters on the Lakers, outside of McGee, Lonzo is the guy that you dare to beat you.

He should have some wide open lanes to the basket because his man will likely double on LeBron.

That's why he has to get decent from the line.

He definitely needs to get decent at the line. He is bigger that most other PGs but he needs to improve his handle if he is going to drive to the hoop regularly. He took twice as many shots from 3 than he took at the rim.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6.9 rpg

7.2 apg

10.2 ppg

1.7 steals per game

/discuss
kidd had good form on his shot coming out of cal, he just couldnt hit it.

lonzo shoots a ball like tim tebow throws a football.

kidd also played 79 games.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He averaged less than 2 FTs per game last year. Repetition will help, and he should bounce back to at least his college FT%.

I agree. When you shoot as few free throws as he did. A couple of misses or makes here and there can skew your percentage one way or the other fairly significantly.

Iirc, he was about 67% on free throws at UCLA. I would think that there's no reason he can't get back to that. Unlike the 3 point line, the free throw line is the same distance in the NBA as college.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6.9 rpg

7.2 apg

10.2 ppg

1.7 steals per game

/discuss
bricks.jpg