• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lonzo ball rookie year

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6.9 rpg

7.2 apg

10.2 ppg

1.7 steals per game

Jason kidd the HOF almost identical numbers.

/discuss

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C5635NiU4AQrbek.jpg

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I aint crowning him anything yet....

The question now should be: Will ESPN get off his nuts?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid has talent. If his Dad gave up the meddling I bet Lonzo would turn into quite the player.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid has talent. If his Dad gave up the meddling I bet Lonzo would turn into quite the player.

Yeah, his Dad has really fucked things up for him and made it virtually impossible for him to be judged fairly.

There are people openly wanting him to fail because of his Dad. Kid came into the league with a target on him thanks to his Dad.

There are obvious holes in his game that need to be addressed. Specifically his 3 point shooting and his free throw shooting. That's what many want to focus on.

He also has elite level court vision, elite passing skills and was far better defensively than anyone thought. But, thanks to his Dad, not many folks want to include that when assessing him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have discussed Lonzo Ball a lot.

He has Kidd like potential, but shooting is more important now than ever. His rookie numbers are completely meaningless until put in context with his shooting struggles.

He certainly has a chance to be great IF he improves his weaknesses, but he will be a bust if he doesn't. And that is with all the intangibles that he brings to the table. Shooting is really important for a PG today. He must at least be adequate.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how he integrates with Lebron.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how he integrates with Lebron.

Agree. Lonzo isn't ball dominant and actually was among the league leaders in getting the ball out of his hands. But he is the guy who starts the offense and keeps the ball moving in the Lakers system.

Lebron is ball dominant and is used to "being the system". We've been hearing for a few years now that Lebron wants to lighten his load. The Lakers system would be ideal to do just that.

On the other hand, "old habits die hard". So, while Lebron may like the idea of playing in a system where he doesn't have to shoulder so much of the load, it might not be as easy to do when the games actually count.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Lonzo isn't ball dominant and actually was among the league leaders in getting the ball out of his hands. But he is the guy who starts the offense and keeps the ball moving in the Lakers system.

Lebron is ball dominant and is used to "being the system". We've been hearing for a few years now that Lebron wants to lighten his load. The Lakers system would be ideal to do just that.

On the other hand, "old habits die hard". So, while Lebron may like the idea of playing in a system where he doesn't have to shoulder so much of the load, it might not be as easy to do when the games actually count.

Regardless of system and what Lebron would like to do, how patient will Lebron be if Ball keeps clanging 3s? Historically the surest way to the dog house on a Lebron team is bad shooting. If Lonzo doesn't improve his shot, can he be on the court at the same time as Lebron?

Reactions: LAD

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of system and what Lebron would like to do, how patient will Lebron be if Ball keeps clanging 3s? Historically the surest way to the dog house on a Lebron team is bad shooting. If Lonzo doesn't improve his shot, can he be on the court at the same time as Lebron?

It depends on how much he actually shoots, imo. If he's not shooting a lot and the Lakers offense is doing what it's designed to do, he should be fine.

But if he is shooting it a lot and missing a lot, then it will effect how the offense runs and Lebron will get impatient.

One thing that was overlooked last year was that he actually was shooting the 3 better towards the end of the season before he got hurt.

He started off awful and was shooting around 26% or so earlier in the season, but got it up to about 30% for the season. So, he was shooting it at around 35% or so before he got hurt.

If he can maintain shooting it at about 35% or so, he should be fine. I think we all agree that he doesn't have to be Steph or Klay, but he does have to hit it enough that teams can't just ignore him.

I also expect that if he doesn't improve, the Lakers will look to move him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on how much he actually shoots, imo. If he's not shooting a lot and the Lakers offense is doing what it's designed to do, he should be fine.

But if he is shooting it a lot and missing a lot, then it will effect how the offense runs and Lebron will get impatient.

One thing that was overlooked last year was that he actually was shooting the 3 better towards the end of the season before he got hurt.

He started off awful and was shooting around 26% or so earlier in the season, but got it up to about 30% for the season. So, he was shooting it at around 35% or so before he got hurt.

If he can maintain shooting it at about 35% or so, he should be fine. I think we all agree that he doesn't have to be Steph or Klay, but he does have to hit it enough that teams can't just ignore him.

Agreed on most of these point.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send him to visit Drew and get basic mechanics fixed

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have discussed Lonzo Ball a lot.

He has Kidd like potential, but shooting is more important now than ever. His rookie numbers are completely meaningless until put in context with his shooting struggles.

He certainly has a chance to be great IF he improves his weaknesses, but he will be a bust if he doesn't. And that is with all the intangibles that he brings to the table. Shooting is really important for a PG today. He must at least be adequate.
I agree. Without being able to shoot F/Ts coupled with a non existent jumper he is at best an average PG in today's game. Not nearly the "star" some thought he'd be.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm thinking the expectation will be that he has to develop a reasonable jumper at some point -sooner rather than later. As already mentioned, we've seen guys die a fast death in an LBJ offense because they couldn't make consistent jumpers. One JR smith comes to mind for certain.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the expectation will be that he has to develop a reasonable jumper at some point -sooner rather than later. As already mentioned, we've seen guys die a fast death in an LBJ offense because they couldn't make consistent jumpers. One JR smith comes to mind for certain.

I agree to a point. The difference is, it was guys who were there to shoot and weren't much use if they weren't hitting shots.

Lonzo does several other things well which should allow him a little longer leash. Especially since he's a pass first guy.

Where it could become a problem is if he's not any better and teams have success backing off of him to double other players.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think he needs to at least be good enough so that he can't be ignored. But he doesn't have to become a knock down shooter from 3 like guys who don't have a lot of other skills.

Reactions: LAD

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Without being able to shoot F/Ts coupled with a non existent jumper he is at best an average PG in today's game. Not nearly the "star" some thought he'd be.
That's part of the problem.

People bought the Lavar hype hook, line and sinker.

Lonzo was never going to he a franchise player.

Anyone who watched him play knew that.

But, he can have a Mike Conley type effect on his team.

I hate threads like this because it always leads to disparaging the player.

With that being said, he has to work on his shot and free throws.

Being able to shag boards isn't enough to keep him on the court when they have so many other playmakers on the roster.

LeBron, Ingram, Lance, Rondo can all set the table. So, if all Lonzo is doing is hot potato-ing the ball down court, he's a less defensive-minded Andre Roberson.

People love to reference early J Kidd.

But, he's equally as close to Michael Carter-Williams.