• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

List of sure thing coaching hires

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of these jobs becoming available, it begs the question: how many coaches could 100% walk into a program and turn things around.

1. Nick Saban- proven results, turned 3 programs around
2a. Jim Harbaugh- anyone who can make winners out of Stanford has to do something right or cheat really well without being caught
2b. Urban Meyer- has had success at 3 different schools, if there was a playoff since the birth of the BCS could hold 3 titles at 3 schools.

That is all of them, 3 guys who you know for sure can get the job done. There are a few guys that fall into that possibly can range but there are no sure thing hires out there. The question is: can any of these guys truly get to the level of these three?

Jimbo Fisher- ton of success but still his team has underperformed, how much is to blame of lack of funding for coaches?

Tom Herman- doesn't matter for shit if you can beat the #1-5 team five consecutive weeks in a row if you can't get your team up to play inferior opponents.

PJ Fleck- he is still really young, has no major college football experience, a major roll of the dice giving a 16-year-old the keys to your prized Corvette.

Kyle Whittingham- done a solid job during transitional phase from a non-power 5 program to a PAC 12 program, but still has no results. Can he win with a better support system?

Bobby Petrino- yes the dude can win, but will he put a whore on his coaching staff to only fall off his bike and get busted for it?

I'm sure there are others I missed, but at some point you have to ask: is one bird in the hand worth more than two in the bush? Is this really worth the risk of firing our HC and bringing in someone else? (Not directed at Texas, whose coach warned them he would never win 6 games again and they didn't listen.)

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would almost consider Chris Petersen as one of those cusp buys. Did a great job with Boise and has turned around that Washington program. Understandable if you need to see a more prolonged success at UWash.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would almost consider Chris Petersen as one of those cusp buys. Did a great job with Boise and has turned around that Washington program. Understandable if you need to see a more prolonged success at UWash.
Only reason I did not add him is because he falls into the gray area for now. I think he can get to the top level, but no one is going to take him from Washington, so he isn't in the second list. But he isn't quite in that top list.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Harbaugh won exactly?

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the college level I would agree actually.
Oh hes a hell of a coach. Take him in the blink of an eye, even over Bob. But its Saban and Meyer #1 and #2 till he gets over the hump in my book.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What 3 did Saban turn around? Bama, LSU and was it Kent st?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh hes a hell of a coach. Take him in the blink of an eye, even over Bob. But its Saban and Meyer #1 and #2 till he gets over the hump in my book.
For whatever reason winning at Stanford give him so much credibility in my book. Then being able to make it to a Super Bowl (win or lose) is a remarkable too. For those reasons he garners so much attention, plus all of his off field bs keeps the media talking. This keeps his name fresh in kids minds. Thats why I have him top three, you will never hear nothing about him, he finds ways to make headlines.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmmm no. One decent year before bailing in the middle of the night isn't turning MSU around.
Is the phrase, on the brink more suited?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the phrase, on the brink more suited?
That's better. Then Bobby Williams took a sledge to the program and broke down the wall. John L Smith came in and turned the rubble into dust dropping nukes on it.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's better. Then Bobby Williams took a sledge to the program and broke down the wall. John L Smith came in and turned the rubble into dust dropping nukes on it.
I'm going to play the age card here. I was 6 when Saban first came to LSU, and at that point in history for LSU making a New Years Day Bowl was an incredible accomplishment. Talking about Independence Bowls being an accomplished year LSU days.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden.

Hell he name comes up all the time and gets people all excited....even though he has zero college experience.