• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Mt. Rushmore

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have had plenty of TDs too if Linehan had any idea how to use him in the end zone

It's not Linehan's fault defenses put 3 on him in the redzone. That's why our team rushing yes went up. Defenses took away the lob into the endzone with two defenders on him, and took away the quick post with an outside LB. the blame is all on CJ, in that's he's so effing good that defenses take everything away from him near the goal line. We need better players to take that away. Bush and a healthy Burelson and Broyles will help.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question: Did Jerry Rice ever lead the 9ers in drops for a season?

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rice would have led them in drops but put up record yards and did it with several games dealing with minor concussion symptoms, do you think anyone would have held the drops against him?

When CJ was dropping them so often, people were complaining and some were trying to understand why. Some believed it was the minor knee injury. I was telling people that I thought he was fighting a small concussion because a knee would not effect his hands, but a slight concussion would mess up his vision in judging the speed or distaance of the ball at times. I also noticed that every time he took a shot near the head, even a smaller bump that wouldnt bother most people, he was extra slow getting to his feet and even shaking his head. The day i was going to come on here to post my feelings on it, I found an article on M-live where he admitted that he was dealing with some head issues but wouldnt use it as an excuse.

So I wouldnt worry about a few drops, personally. Plus, it is always easier to never drop many when you dont have two or three players covering you every single play. Drops or not, CJ got his catches and yards under far more difficult circumstances.

and Yes, I do blame Linehan for defenses placing three guys on CJ. It is Linehans scheme and play calling that keeps the Lions from having a decent run game. It is Linehans scheme that cant get anyone else the ball in the redzone efficiently enough to force defenses to back off CJ and cover others closer. And yes, Linehan can still call for a few jump balls rather than cut backs and stuff. CJ can out jump any defender in the NFL. Put the ball up high and let him go up and get it above the defense. I wouldnt do it like that to move the ball down the field because you wouldnt get many yards and it could get him hurt. But when a TD is there, you take the chance now and then. Being afraid to send CJ up on a jump ball would be no different than not letting Barry have the ball at the endzone for fear he will get hurt. ITs just stupid to take losses because you are afraid to get your star hurt. IF you wont let him win games, why have him?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read anymore after I realized my question wasn't answered. CJ got a shit ton of meaningless yards, during a meaningless season, at meaningless places on the field. I find it insulting and ridiculous to put him up with Rice. He's very good, possibly the best receiver in the game at the time being. But nobody is Jerry Rice. Even if they gain more yards on a 4-12 team while putting up 30 points over 16 games. Set the record for receiving TDs instead of yards and I'll inclined to change my stance.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read anymore after I realized my question wasn't answered. CJ got a shit ton of meaningless yards, during a meaningless season, at meaningless places on the field. I find it insulting and ridiculous to put him up with Rice. He's very good, possibly the best receiver in the game at the time being. But nobody is Jerry Rice. Even if they gain more yards on a 4-12 team while putting up 30 points over 16 games. Set the record for receiving TDs instead of yards and I'll inclined to change my stance.

OMG... Dropped passes wasn't a stat they kept back then like they do now. Jerry Rice got to step into the 49ers GREATNESS and excel as another offensive weapon. The 49ers were a top 5 offense/defense or better team before Rice. One man isn't a team. I look at the Lions over the past decade and see a lot of close games lost by a touchdown or less and 4 quarter debacles and say "the Lions are looking for new ways to lose while trying to look good at it." While most of you say "their missing some talent to get over the hump." Why would you wanna put Calvin down because the rest of the team can't or don't step up to his level of greatness? C'mon man, is Calvin suppose to step down to the rest of the team standards?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People always say if Barry had a OLine he would be record holder for all categories. Well if we do that with Rice and CJ, you have to ask yourself. Does Rice have same stats with Lions QB's? Does CJ have better or worse stats with Montana and Young?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up in D.C. area my four would be mix of Lions and Redskins. I am only going by body of work I saw as a fan watching.
Barry Sanders
Chris Speilman
Darrell Green
Art Monk
Did not see Lane and Layne play. Nor did I see Sonny and Huff.
Rushmore is about all time greats. To me these guys were the epitome of professionalism and guys you have to have on game day.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG... Dropped passes wasn't a stat they kept back then like they do now. Jerry Rice got to step into the 49ers GREATNESS and excel as another offensive weapon. The 49ers were a top 5 offense/defense or better team before Rice. One man isn't a team. I look at the Lions over the past decade and see a lot of close games lost by a touchdown or less and 4 quarter debacles and say "the Lions are looking for new ways to lose while trying to look good at it." While most of you say "their missing some talent to get over the hump." Why would you wanna put Calvin down because the rest of the team can't or don't step up to his level of greatness? C'mon man, is Calvin suppose to step down to the rest of the team standards?

How am I putting him down? I said he's most likely the best receiver in the game today. However... Jerry Rice he is not. Which is fine, since nobody is at that level.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of what Jerry Rice did was 'after the catch'. He was deadly in open space. Fortunately, he had QBs that could get him the ball when he broke open. Could he have duplicated those stats with the team Calvin has had around him?

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People always say if Barry had a OLine he would be record holder for all categories.

Most people wanna believe it was "all" Barry so they can discredit the rest of the offense. Don't get me wrong Barry was elusive but the rest of the offense would keep trying to make key blocks to spring Barry. They didn't give up until Barry was tackled or ran by 'em down the field. And even then you would see Linemen 20 yards down the field looking to make a block. There's like two things wrong with our running game these days... 1) you hardly ever see linemen in the second level looking to make a block to spring our RB's, they mostly create a hole and say your on your own kid and 2) our RB's like follow the play to a TEE without vision.

How am I putting him down? I said he's most likely the best receiver in the game today. However... Jerry Rice he is not. Which is fine, since nobody is at that level.

Your repeated usage of meaningless clued me in. It's okay for Jerry Rice to rack up yardage when the 49ers had a win at hand, but it's not okay for Calvin to rack up yardage with a losing record. Good job, your making a lot of sense.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And apparently, a lot of what Calvin did was after the three broken fingers.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's like two things wrong with our running game these days...

This sounds like it would come from a teenage girl's mouth. Like, for real.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are we arguing about now?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those yards were meaningless! He got yards because his team was behind. Then he never scored, so his team remained behind, so he got more yards, and so on. The only way his super awesome spectacular 2012 season with its yardage record and it's five TDs has any meaning is so you guys can try to elevate him to a historical status he doesn't deserve. But keeping loving yardage, it's great for fantasy football. And for filling dead time on the message board.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ definitely better than Rice right now at his best. I think Randy Moss was as well, maybe even TO. That's one of the great things about the NFL is that greatness needs longevity. Part of why Jerry Rice is the GOAT is not only his greatness over the best section of his career, but his ability to continue to be great over a long period of time. CJ needs to be playing at a high level at the end of this contract to be in the conversation with Rice for greatest overall.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like it would come from a teenage girl's mouth. Like, for real.

I don't hang around with teenage girl's, I'm only around you. "Like" indicates characteristics... indicates qualities, characteristics, or feature. Introduces a typical instance or an example of a particular category or type. I really don't care if you have a problem with the word like, I'll use like whenever I like because I like, like!!

Those yards were meaningless! He got yards because his team was behind. Then he never scored, so his team remained behind, so he got more yards, and so on. The only way his super awesome spectacular 2012 season with its yardage record and it's five TDs has any meaning is so you guys can try to elevate him to a historical status he doesn't deserve. But keeping loving yardage, it's great for fantasy football.

So in other words Barry Sanders didn't have any meaningless yardage during losing seasons because there wasn't any fantasy football league? Jerry Rice was another weapon to an already GREAT 49ers team. Whenever you mention Jerry Rice replace it with 49ers because that is all it is... 49ers vs Calvin. The Raiders were having success before Rice went there and the same can be said about the Seahawks too. Jerry Rice is a Silver Spoon story; the Lions... we all know that story.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you bringing up Barry Sanders? The SeaHawks? Calvin Johnson has played what, 5 seasons? And had one big one with a ton of yards. That's nice and all. Racking up yardage against the prevent D in the second half. (which worked well against us btw, Hanson scored plenty last year). Silver Spoon? Rice was the best receiver in the game for a decade, then one of the best for several years, and then played out his career as a contributor. Few players have ever had his talent. Less have had his competitive drive to be perfect, (he said it himself that he never achieved perfection for an entire game, but kept trying until Denver let him know it was over) and none have had both. If you want to dismiss Jerry Rice' accomplishments go right ahead. Just don't tell me that Calvin Johnson should be held in higher esteem. That's not knocking CJ, that's because JR is the best, everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice has the rings! Until CJ delivers a few Lombardi Trophies to Motown he will...IMO....be the Dan Marino of Wideouts! Great but not in the conversation for greatest. I am big believer for scoreboard!

This argument isn't over. But to compare the two is a little premature.:2cents:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say CJ breaks every single Reciving record Jerry Rice has But never wins a SB or wears a ring.........Would he be better then Jerry? Sometimes it's nice to play on a good team.....Much like Barry......If ran behind the Cowboys line in the 90s and Emmitt Smith ran behind the Lions line in the 90s I'm sure the stats would be alot different.......

Again what means more? SB wins or all the stats you can reguritate to try and make a point that fills the boredom of the offseason.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say he does muzz. Then we can talk about who's better. Who's best. Who's the greatest. But we can't when one guy owns every CAREER record, and the other is in his twenties, approximately one year into being the current best receiver in the league. There is no conversation right now, not rationally there isnt. Hypothetically, evidently there is. But there shouldn't be.