• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Mt. Rushmore

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say he does muzz. Then we can talk about who's better. Who's best. Who's the greatest. But we can't when one guy owns every CAREER record, and the other is in his twenties, approximately one year into being the current best receiver in the league. There is no conversation right now, not rationally there isnt. Hypothetically, evidently there is. But there shouldn't be.

I don't have a problem with that......CJ did break one of the hardest records to break from Jerry though.......If he stays healthy with Stafford, I'm sure alot more will fall.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hang around with teenage girl's, I'm only around you. "Like" indicates characteristics... indicates qualities, characteristics, or feature. Introduces a typical instance or an example of a particular category or type. I really don't care if you have a problem with the word like, I'll use like whenever I like because I like, like!!

All that and it still sounds like a teenage girl posting on this board. Lol @ u trying to justify it. But I digress....CJ is currently the greatest WR that plays. Rice is the GOAT. Can't compare the two career-wise until CJ's is done, IMO. Regardless of the team surrounding Rice, he still had to make the plays.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with that......CJ did break one of the hardest records to break from Jerry though.......If he stays healthy with Stafford, I'm sure alot more will fall.

If he goes and breaks Randy Moss' much more difficult record,(Randy has 3 of the 5 best seasons in that category btw, Rice has 2) I'll be a bit more inclined to think he can be raised to Jerry's level. Yards are yards, and defences give them to you for a good chunk of the field, especially when they're playing against the clock. (This was the Lions 2013 season in a nutshell) Touchdowns are another story. As is longevity. And I can't assume anyone will ever have longevity like Rice did.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Medicine has come along way, CJ is a big dude.....6'5 236.....Jerry Rice 6'2 200......With the frame and talent and No injuries......CJ can have a very long career....He did break the Madden Curse if you ask me....

Was Jerry ever put on the cover? I know Barry won the last one and CJ has been there and done that, but again it comes down to a popularity contest which no one can win........Just like most of California thought Trout deserved the MVP last year and Michigan wanted Miggy.....There is no right or wrong on opinion.......I just know I have faith in CJ when the ball is tossed up in the air to come down with it......Jerry did have T.O. has a #2 reciver for awhile and that would be nice to see Calvin have for a few years.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did break the Madden Curse if you ask me....

Tht was broken years ago. There were a few players that broke the "curse".

I just know I have faith in CJ when the ball is tossed up in the air
As do I sir, as do I.

Jerry did have T.O. has a #2 reciver for awhile

He had Taylor longer. Or were u referring to when he got older? Bc he also had Timmy Brown, former Heisman winner from ND, in Oakland.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even without injuries, I don't see CJ playing as long. Nobody plays that long. I don't want to seem anti CJ. Hes an excellent receiver. (So were Marvin Harrison, Isaac Bruce, Randy Moss, Art Monk, Tim Brown, Steve Largent, Michael Irvin, Sterling Sharpe and Chris Carter. So are Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and young guys like Julio Jones and AJ Green) He's an exceptional football player. Regardless of position he's exceptional. But Rice is on a whole other level. And to put anyone on that level, this early into a career is simply wishful thinking, IMO. And basicly blatant homerism.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know who has and hasn't been on the cover of Madden. I've never bought the game for PS3, and I've had the system for years. I know Vince Young and Big Don were both on the cover. And Eddie George, cuz I bought the game those years. And I'm open to someone being interested in putting them on Jerry Rices level. (Theres no electricity here in my box tonight. So aside from staring at a candle(very dangerous with all the cardboard) I don't have much else to do) Peyton Hillis was on the cover too, his career isn't goin so well.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daunte Culpepper!!!!!There's a nice example of a career taking an abrupt turn. (Note to self, don't encourage CJ to get on a boat).

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touchdowns are another story. As is longevity. And I can't assume anyone will ever have longevity like Rice did.
That's what makes Rice's yardage record almost untouchable. He played at such a high level for so long with such relative little injuries that any other WR will be very, very hard-pressed to match it.

Man for Man, based on pure raw talent and ability Megatron is the better individual WR though. He's got a one-of-one (ever, so far) blend of size, speed and athleticism that nobody else can touch...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Jackson was the greatest running back ever too. Until....

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what CJ can do this year with no broken fingers.

We just saw what he did with three.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to dismiss Jerry Rice' accomplishments go right ahead.

Don't be silly, Rice didn't make the Hall of Fame playing like Stefan Logan. Rice had the privilege to play with 2 HoF QB's for 3 quarters of his career before being sent adrift to make room for TO and bailing on the Black Hole to finish his career in Seattle.

Just don't tell me that Calvin Johnson should be held in higher esteem.

Right, it's Calvin fault for meaningless yardage in one on one coverage and the lack of TD's.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep bringing up the guys that threw passes toJR as if they made him what he was. And to a degree I think they worked together to make each other what they are. But we're talking about Montana and Young here. Not Marino and Manning. Did Steve or Joe ever throw for 5000 yards? Toss 48 TDs in a season? The 9ers were winners, not stat machines. Yet Rice put up CAREER numbers that may never be topped.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of what Jerry Rice did was 'after the catch'. He was deadly in open space. Fortunately, he had QBs that could get him the ball when he broke open. Could he have duplicated those stats with the team Calvin has had around him?[/QUOTE

he also had Taylor, Craig, and Brent Jones in his surrounding cast. I would certainly take those three over any combination of players that CJ has ever had to play with.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep bringing up the guys that threw passes to JR as if they made him what he was. And to a degree I think they worked together to make each other what they are. But we're talking about Montana and Young here.

Montana was a 3 time pro bowler with 2 rings that put up the same kind of numbers before Rice. Young joined the 49ers the same year as Rice as a backup to Montana and I don't dispute Young/Rice.

Did Steve or Joe ever throw for 5000 yards? Toss 48 TDs in a season?

Did Kitna, Orlovsky, Culpepper or Hill ever throw for 5,000 yards or toss over 21 TD's while in Detroit?

The 9ers were winners,

That's what I've been saying, even before Rice. The Raiders were successful before Rice joining them and the Seahawks were successful before and after Rice's retirement. Rice is the silver spoon story, where Calvin is not.

Yet Rice put up CAREER numbers that may never be topped.

And he's in the Hall Of Fame for that... the comparison was a six year span of his CAREER and Calvin 6 years in the NFL. I didn't start it, I only added to it by comparing their first six seasons with yards and td's. A difference of 30 yards and 25 td's favoring Rice. And yet it still pretty remarkable with mostly single coverage and a future HoF QB on one hand and double and triple coverage with ringless QB's on the other hand.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 TDs is kind of a lot. Like, umm, five years worth of TDs.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that the "silver spoons" we're talkin bout?

We weren't. I live in the southwest part of the States and I am around Cali lingo all the time and have an accent, so I'm told when I'm in Michigan.

And what the fuck is this silver spoon bullshit?

The birth of Jerry Rice's NFL career and Calvin's NFL career being born in poverty. Both receivers are from different sides of the tracks. Rice had all the breaks to start his NFL career and Calvin was going from one foster QB to another.