• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2023 Free Agency

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be down for this price with Elliot to re-sign with us. @Old Lion

DeShon Elliott, S

POD team rank: 6th
PFF NFL rank: 113th
Previous contract: 1 year, $1.1 million ($135,000 guaranteed)
PFF projected salary: 2 years, $6.5 million ($3.5 million guaranteed)
Might be a little pricey but I think he played well and I like him in this defense.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can do without Mike Hughes and Will Harris - which the latter isn't in that 201 group.

Mike Hughes, CB

POD team rank: 10th
PFF NFL rank: 199th
Previous contract: 1 year, $2.25 million ($1 million guaranteed)
PFF projected salary: 1 year, $2 million ($1 million guaranteed)
I am OK at this price. He played out of position most of the year. He is much better on the outside then in the slot.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Jamel Dean numbers for Free Agency Market Value by PFF are.

4-years/17M per with 45M Guaranteed

Dean was ranked overall in the last 3-years as the 10th best/20th best/12th best CB in years 2022/2021/2020.

I know fans for damn sure do not want to see that amount of money spent on a Free Agent - especially CB position - however, Dean has never graded below an overall defensive grade of 75 at any time in his career. 2022-78/2021-75/2020-77/2019-76

coverage grades 2022-76/2021-78/2020-80/2019-79

He is worthy of signing if any CB in this Free Agency class is and he's only 26 years old.

It also would help to alleviate the need of possibly spending an extra draft pick to move up from NO.18 into the top 10-15 range to draft one of the Top 3 CB in this draft should Holmes be lucky enough that one of the DL of W. Anderson, J. Carter or T. Wilson falls into his lap at No.6 overall. He knows he cannot count on any particular scenario playing out when the draft comes around.

@Thruthefog will hate this idea but he'll love @broncosmitty idea of signing UFA LB Bobby Wagner.
Still a little pricey.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, Over The Cap is reporting that the following have signed for the 2023 season. I haven't read it anywhere else. With these players signed Holmes currently has 18M in cap space.

OC Ross Pierschbacher
LS Scott Daly
TE Shane Zylstra
TE Brock Wright
LB Anthony Pittman
DL Benito Jones
OL Obinna Eze

The only ERFA left is
OL Tommy Kraemer
RB Craig "Hulu" Reynolds
:L Eze was awful

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be game to see Suh and Carter both added.

Shitty corners look less shitty behind good lines. I’m awful at identifying talent at corner. (Amari being a great example). So I’m not pushing for anyone there. Cuz if I do, they’re gonna suck.
Its not your fault Amani decided to stop playing after he got paid. He has the talent, he just stopped giving a crap.
robin williams its not your fault GIF

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Eze was awful
He was expected to be. He was undrafted because he could not play. He was signed because the potential is enormous. I don't mind giving him a second practice squad year to see if he starts to figure it out.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt that Wagner would fit the culture, but Suh is all about Suh. Which is why you probably knew why I thought you were screwing around.
He’s dirty and mean though.

Two of my favorite things in a football player. Playing in the three of the last four Super Bowls also a big plus for me. And having two more playoff wins than the Lions franchise.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s dirty and mean though.

Two of my favorite things in a football player. Playing in the three of the last four Super Bowls also a big plus for me. And having two more playoff wins than the Lions franchise.
I don't even think he is dirty. It was over blown. Had he gone to Steelers, Ravens, or Cowboys the view on him would be completely different.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think he is dirty. It was over blown. Had he gone to Steelers, Ravens, or Cowboys the view on him would be completely different.
I think he got extra focus based on Schwartz pushing his guys to always be riding the dirty fence. The league hated Detroit there for a couple years. (Not reviewing an automatic review, because that Jim threw the red flag was the giveaway)

But he plays with a level of violence that isn’t necessary. The kicks, the throws, the extra twists, using guys to get up, it’s all dirty and I want it back.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am OK at this price. He played out of position most of the year. He is much better on the outside then in the slot.

I wouldn't hate it if he was brought back, however him being better outside was last year and only a few games playing outside. He's a depth guy only.

Hopefully Jacobs getting a true full off-season of some rest and rehab keeps him in the fray for as a depth CB.

I'm still hoping Holmes signs a respectable CB1/CB2 in free agency and then drafting one which pushes Jacobs, Okudah and whoever else to compete for backup outside CB and starting Nickel/Slot. Jacobs has that dog in him and aggressiveness that fits the nickel/slot. Okudah actually played well in the box a few games.

Bottom line is that I'm done with Okudah as a starting outside CB even though he had the core and groin injury straight out of CFB and then the ACL. I've seen enough to know he isn't the answer. You lride out his last season here and surely do not pick up his 5th year option.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a little pricey.

Yes, without a doubt, but I'd rather take a risk like that than to see Holmes bring in Sutton or Ya-Sin and expect either of them to outperform Dean.

Dean has never graded below an overall defensive grade of 75 at any time in his career.
2022-78
2021-75
2020-77
2019-76

coverage grades
2022-76
2021-78
2020-80
2019-79

Neither Ya-Sin nor Sutton can boast of ever having these numbers. Ya-Sin has missed 10 games in the last 2-seasons and Sutton was nothing more than a bench warmer his first four seasons. Sutton has been mostly starting these past 2-seasons.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried that Dean won't be a Lion for seasons 2023 through 2026.

I just don't see Holmes spending that kind of money just yet.

The hinderance that could come into play is that AG may believe that he and Bly will be able to coach any damn given player to be exactly who they expect them to be. It doesn't work that way all that often because if it did, then AG and Pleasant would've had that figured out prior to the 2022 season and I'm not going to put all the blame with the secondary being bad solely on Pleasant either.

How Jacobs and Okudah play in 2023 will give all of us an idea of how much their coaching impacts all CB and especially those two mentioned.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't hate it if he was brought back, however him being better outside was last year and only a few games playing outside. He's a depth guy only.

Hopefully Jacobs getting a true full off-season of some rest and rehab keeps him in the fray for as a depth CB.

I'm still hoping Holmes signs a respectable CB1/CB2 in free agency and then drafting one which pushes Jacobs, Okudah and whoever else to compete for backup outside CB and starting Nickel/Slot. Jacobs has that dog in him and aggressiveness that fits the nickel/slot. Okudah actually played well in the box a few games.

Bottom line is that I'm done with Okudah as a starting outside CB even though he had the core and groin injury straight out of CFB and then the ACL. I've seen enough to know he isn't the answer. You lride out his last season here and surely do not pick up his 5th year option.
I would still take Okudah over Jacobs. All of Jacobs "dog" results in crippling penalties at the worst time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still take Okudah over Jacobs. All of Jacobs "dog" results in crippling penalties at the worst time.

If we're being completely honest, then I wish neither of them were a Lion. Both could be replaced but it also would cost a UFA CB1 signing and drafting of two CB in 2023. I do get the crippling penalties portion of his game as that was always Oruwariye's results too and yet he was given ample opportunities until they were taken away.

I'm giving Jacobs more of a pass due to where he played CFB and not having the power 5 type coaching available to him.
Jacobs was an UDFA and Okudah was an overall NO.3 pick. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the lessor of the two. JMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Los Angeles Rams have reportedly agreed to a deal with the Miami Dolphins that will send All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey to the Dolphins in exchange for a 2023 third-round pick and tight end Hunter Long, per NFL Network. As part of the deal, Ramsey’s contract was adjusted and now he has a fully guaranteed two-year $36.9 million deal.

While the Dolphins were labeled as Ramsey’s “preferred destination,” according to The Score’s Jordan Schultz, there were several other teams interested in acquiring Ramsey, including the Detroit Lions.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that report is even remotely true, that Holmes was interested in Ramsey then he sure as hell should be interested in Jamel Dean or James Bradberry as the latter is only a few months younger than Ramsey.

Ramsey (28-years old) is 1-year younger than Bradberry (29-years old)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think @broncosmitty is "THE" executive at all Detroit sports media outlets and makes these writers post all of these fluff stories to get fans to fall for the clickbait. I did once again.

No wonder why Smitty was sick the other day, he's been gearing up for the Lions free agency period and planning on how to stream for interest to Freep, D-News, M-Live, POD, Lions Wire.

I'll never learn.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that report is even remotely true, that Holmes was interested in Ramsey then he sure as hell should be interested in Jamel Dean or James Bradberry as the latter is only a few months younger than Ramsey.

Ramsey (28-years old) is 1-year younger than Bradberry (29-years old)
Talked to a Rams family member earlier.

They are not upset Ramsey is gone. Not well liked.

But after seeing it was only a third and some guy I’d never heard of, I should’ve supported Brads interest. A third for an asshole that would be our best corner since Lem Barney would’ve been good.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am thinking they move Jacobs to the slot.