• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2023 Free Agency

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are your Lions players that you view as must re-sign and who are the players that you would like to see Holmes sign.

There's only 13+M in current cap space with 47 players currently signed to the top 51 - unless something has changed in the last few days.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My must have players re-signed to the defensive side of the ball are DE John Cominsky and DT Isaiah Buggs.

I would like DeShon Elliot re-signed simply to not be pigeonholed come draft time. I do believe Elliot receives a better offer from another team. I'm sure Holmes would sign a SS in free agency should Elliot sign elsewhere.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the offensive side of the ball, I really don't have a preference. For continuity and team chemistry I could see where both Jamaal Williams and DJ Chark would be a benefit, but I also believe both could be replaced through the draft and at a much lower cost. Going the route of the draft means Goff will have to get comfy with whomever is brought in.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the money being available to sign many free agents other than releasing Brockers, Romeo and Vaitai and that might come back to bite Holmes in the backside.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My must have players re-signed to the defensive side of the ball are DE John Cominsky and DT Isaiah Buggs.

I would like DeShon Elliot re-signed simply to not be pigeonholed come draft time. I do believe Elliot receives a better offer from another team. I'm sure Holmes would sign a SS in free agency should Elliot sign elsewhere.
As much as I hate to admit it as the guy who complained the most, Anzalone played himself into this area I think.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t understand the Cominsky love. (Or Buggs if there is any)

Oldest members of the line. For the defense that gave up the most yards and most first downs in the league. The two combined for 5 sacks and 5 tackles for loss.

Elliot missed time with a hurt finger.

These are easy calls for me.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to admit it as the guy who complained the most, Anzalone played himself into this area I think.
He leads by example. Have never questioned his effort.

Have questioned his ability.

But he’s half player half coach at this point. If someone were to out play him to the point of being a camp cut, the defense could be much improved.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oldest members of the line. For the defense that gave up the most yards and most first downs in the league. The two combined for 5 sacks and 5 tackles for loss.

Elliot missed time with a hurt finger.

These are easy calls for me.
Lions defense is terrible in a lot of ways, but the are 11th in qb pressures which is a foundation you can build on. Cominsky is second on the team in pressures. He did not get a lot of sacks, but he impacted qb play.

I don't think he is elite, but he will be affordable and fill a critical role player spot. We should resign Cominsky, but still look for the player to move him to the bench.

Buggs is replacement level player at DT.....which makes him the second best on this team.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions defense is terrible in a lot of ways, but the are 11th in qb pressures which is a foundation you can build on. Cominsky is second on the team in pressures. He did not get a lot of sacks, but he impacted qb play.

I don't think he is elite, but he will be affordable and fill a critical role player spot. We should resign Cominsky, but still look for the player to move him to the bench.

Buggs is replacement level player at DT.....which makes him the second best on this team.
Idk man, one year deal could be in play. But I don’t want to see anything built around a guy that’s best attribute is making quarterbacks take a step before completing a pass. He does not seem like a guy who would be difficult to improve upon to me.

Sacks create negative yardage. Pressures can be first downs and touchdowns just as likely as they are incompletions. I’d have to see the total pressure package of his and the outcomes. Because I watched an awful defense last year. With awful talent being the main culprit.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m missing something with Vaitai. But he’s huge and had vertebrae fused. Right? Maybe I’m wrong there.

I’ve been assuming his career is over despite positive comments early last fall. And have been assuming we save like 7million because of it.

Wish him the best in life. Am okay with a Guard being drafted in the first two rounds though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get it that both are not stat stuffing players, however Cominsky and Buggs became locker room leaders, and it was Cominsky who was communicating to all D-Linemen where to line up - throughout the entire season.

Both could be replaced in the draft, but you'll lose that leadership and continuity. I look at Cominsky and Buggs similarly to Anzalone. you want to upgrade each and every one of those players, but for now the best move Holmes could make is to retain all three until another player can permanently replace them.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There doesn't exist one ILB on that team who is better than Anzalone at this time. Anzalone played better in 2022 than with the likes of JRM, Barnes, Pittman and others in 2021. Barnes, at this time, is a rotational player only in certain situations. Rodriguez shows flashes but even he should be considered as a player who could be upgraded. None of the ILB in 2022 or 2021 were worth a damn in coverage and yet were suspect at run defense also, but AA and MR did play better down the stretch minus the Panther game debacle.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should resign Cominsky, but still look for the player to move him to the bench.

This right here and there are a number of prospects in those first 5 picks that appear to be good possibilities. I don't think a rookie gets you what Cominsky brings to the table right away.

AG used more 5-man fronts in those last 6-7 games which also coincided with Houston getting more reps and getting players like Paschal and Romeo on the initial mend to being on the field and getting reps. All of this helps to build that core for 2023 and beyond.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True to a fault. Both he and Alim were playing 3-tech on down to 0-tech. That will be a tough call for a rookie - which we still need to draft - and Buggs should be inexpensive to re-sign.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m missing something with Vaitai. But he’s huge and had vertebrae fused. Right? Maybe I’m wrong there.

I’ve been assuming his career is over despite positive comments early last fall. And have been assuming we save like 7million because of it.

Wish him the best in life. Am okay with a Guard being drafted in the first two rounds though.

I'm perfectly fine if Holmes releases him, but the fact remains that Kraemer also had a back injury, Brown should receive a better offer than what the Lions can offer - tbh, I'd rather let Brown walk as he was okay at C and mostly suspect at RG - and that leaves Awosika and Stenberg as last men standing.

I too am good with drafting an RG early and preferably one who has OT experience.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're being honest, we could upgrade every position on the defensive side except for players Hutch, Joseph and Houston and yet all three od them will have to improve this upcoming season and beyond.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Cominsky and Buggs should be inexpensive to re-sign and that will help with depth going into the pre-season at the very least. These two also need to improve as they go forward.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am good with Buggs and Commisky. They dont need to be superstars. Just guys that can hold the line and eat up some reps. We need depth inside for sure.

We definitely need Elliot IMO. I dont like that he sat out a game with a finger issue (I am guessing there may have been another injury as well) but the defense really was not good when he was no in there. TW3 as well. Even with Joseph that is still only 3 safeties worth their salt. We would still need another. CJ Moore is the 5th. I dont want to hear even a whisper about Breeze possibly being out there. Ju Ju didnt cut it either.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DETROIT LIONS: EDGE JOHN COMINSKY

Cominsky brought versatility and physicality to the Lions' defense in his first season in Detroit, becoming a more consistent pass rusher with his 6-foot-5, 285-pound frame that also enabled him to kick inside. He and rookie first-rounder Aidan Hutchinson both demonstrated positional flexibility along the defensive line, which could help Detroit construct different looks and manufacture pressure on opposing quarterbacks if he’s kept around for 2023 and beyond.

Cominsky became an official starter in Week 11, and his 31 quarterback pressures from that point through the end of the regular season tied for eighth among edge defenders.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DETROIT LIONS: RUNNING BACK JAMAAL WILLIAMS

While 2020 second-round pick D’Andre Swift‘s NFL career is still young, it seems as though there’s a decent chance he will never be able to hold up for a 17-game season — or be a true three-down back even if he does.

Williams is the heart and soul of this Lions offense, breaking Detroit legend Barry Sanders’ franchise record with 17 rushing touchdowns in 2022, capped off with two goal-line scores to knock his former team, the Green Bay Packers, out of the playoffs. Over the past three seasons, Williams’ 80.3 rushing grade ranks 23rd and his 25.5% rate of carries going for a first down or touchdown ranks seventh. He’s a reliable short yardage back who brings positive vibes to the building every single day.

BB_72: Personally, I think he's replaceable via the draft but maybe Smitty's correct in running with Hulu Reynolds in lieu of Jamaal and bringing back Justin Jackson along with having Swift for just one more year.