• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2023 Free Agency

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one only position/player would benefit both offensive and defensive sides of the ball?

For me, it would be a veteran starting interior defensive lineman with a proven history for being disruptive run defending and pass rushing and a rookie RG that is a bulldozing run blocker and more than adept at pass protection as my 1a on offense.

1b on offense would be a true 3-down RB capable of getting those first downs with 3 or less yards on 3rd/4th down, very good at pass-pro and very good to great at receiving out of the backfield.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one only position/player would benefit both offensive and defensive sides of the ball?

For me, it would be a veteran starting interior defensive lineman with a proven history for being disruptive run defending and pass rushing and a rookie RG that is a bulldozing run blocker and more than adept at pass protection as my 1a on offense.

1b on offense would be a true 3-down RB capable of getting those first downs with 3 or less yards on 3rd/4th down, very good at pass-pro and very good to great at receiving out of the backfield.
My Offense needs:
Number 1 is a need, the rest is luxury

1. Guards, multiple because I think Jonah Jackson will require more than he is worth. Getting his successor seems prudent

2. TE, I think we need a TE that provides more unless James Mitchell makes big strides
3. Backup traits based QB
4. RB. Jamal Williams is going to cost and Swift can't play every game. Justin Jackson is not the guy. I would not mind a Powerback at some point
5. WR...pending Chark

My Defense needs:
Every single one of these is a need

1. LB that can cover
2. DT
3. 2-3 DB's
4. Another Pass Rusher

*Edit: I forgot the desperate need for a backup QB. No more trotting out life time backups, we need a guy with potential that can use clipboard time to become a viable starter.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Guards, multiple because I think Jonah Jackson will require more than he is worth. Getting his successor seems prudent.

:10:

I also believe Holmes won't be able to afford Jackson.

I can see 3 successive drafts where an O-Line player is drafted.

2023) Replacing Vaitai
2024) Replacing Jackson
2025) Replacing Decker as Sewell takes over at LT because Decker's contract expires end of 2024. I don't want Decker to move on but it's probably inevitable.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. TE, I think we need a TE that provides more unless James Mitchell makes big strides

I know you stated the last four on offense as luxury and not necessarily need, so I'm hoping Holmes waits to draft a TE until 2024. There's a reason as to why Hockenson was traded. Money surely was a big issue as well as positional value may have played a huge part in it. I don't see Ben Johnson truly utilizing that position nearly as much as other teams. I think a WR1 - meaning true X - may have more value than a high-priced TE in his system.

I'm good, for this upcoming season, with Wright, Mitchell and Zylstra and maybe an inexpensive blocking UFA TE.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you stated the last four on offense as luxury and not necessarily need, so I'm hoping Holmes waits to draft a TE until 2024. There's a reason as to why Hockenson was traded. Money surely was a big issue as well as positional value may have played a huge part in it. I don't see Ben Johnson truly utilizing that position nearly as much as other teams. I think a WR1 - meaning true X - may have more value than a high-priced TE in his system.

I'm good, for this upcoming season, with Wright, Mitchell and Zylstra and maybe an inexpensive blocking UFA TE.
I think this comes down to Chark/WR draft. If chark walks and we don't replace it in some way then the need for TE by a lot. I think not needing TE's for more than blocking/redzone is a by-product of a surplus of weapons.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Edit: I forgot the desperate need for a backup QB. No more trotting out life time backups, we need a guy with potential that can use clipboard time to become a viable starter.

I saw where you had mentioned QB Anthony Richardson in a more recent post of yours. He's a huge bust or boom type prospect and I surely wouldn't want pick No.18 spent on him as there are other players at positions that would or should provide more immediate impact, but the one kicker to that would be if Holmes got out of that No.6 overall pick and wound up with an extra early 2nd round pick. I could then see where the risk is still high by selecting Richardson, but at the same time would be toned down somewhat by having another early 2nd round pick. Just food for thought.

Richarson is so much further behind at this stage than Jalen Hurts was as a throwing QB, but I do equate the two is some capacity due to their athletic ability to be RPO QB's. It's an intriguing conversation in and of itself.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where you had mentioned QB Anthony Richardson in a more recent post of yours. He's a huge bust or boom type prospect and I surely wouldn't want pick No.18 spent on him as there are other players at positions that would or should provide more immediate impact, but the one kicker to that would be if Holmes got out of that No.6 overall pick and wound up with an extra early 2nd round pick. I could then see where the risk is still high by selecting Richardson, but at the same time would be toned down somewhat by having another early 2nd round pick. Just food for thought.

Richarson is so much further behind at this stage than Jalen Hurts was as a throwing QB, but I do equate the two is some capacity due to their athletic ability to be RPO QB's. It's an intriguing conversation in and of itself.
Yeah, Richardson more than anyone else is going to need the right spot if he will ever succeed. Somewhere he can sit and learn for three years. I think it is intriguing for the Lions, but not for a first or a second, and he is not likely to even make it to the second. If the Lions did draft him, I would not like it, especially when we have so many holes in the Defense. I would also be excited to see the end result of his time doing nothing but learning to be a QB for 3 years.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this comes down to Chark/WR draft. If chark walks and we don't replace it in some way then the need for TE by a lot. I think not needing TE's for more than blocking/redzone is a by-product of a surplus of weapons.

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure Chark was injured, AR-SB hobbled for three games as well as Josh Reynolds during a good stretch that TJ was here in those first 10 games and TJ become less involved in the offense.

I do understand your pointing out that should Chark depart then another receiving option needs to be brought to the table and one with the physical attributes of height, length, speed, speed, speed and the ability to actually complete the 50/50 balls on a more consistent basis.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure Chark was injured, AR-SB hobbled for three games as well as Josh Reynolds during a good stretch that TJ was here in those first 10 games and TJ become less involved in the offense.

I do understand your pointing out that should Chark depart then another receiving option needs to be brought to the table and one with the physical attributes of height, length, speed, speed, speed and the ability to actually complete the 50/50 balls on a more consistent basis.
For the love of god not Jalin Hyatt

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Richardson more than anyone else is going to need the right spot if he will ever succeed. Somewhere he can sit and learn for three years. I think it is intriguing for the Lions, but not for a first or a second, and he is not likely to even make it to the second. If the Lions did draft him, I would not like it, especially when we have so many holes in the Defense. I would also be excited to see the end result of his time doing nothing but learning to be a QB for 3 years.

Hypothetically speaking only, you wouldn't draft Richardson at NO.18 overall if you had just picked up an early 2nd round pick (Hou - 33rd overall or Caro - 39th overall) by trading down to No.9 or No.12 overall. I think one of the three most talked about CB would be there. Also, I think that what you could get in Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson at No.6 you may get in another Edge/DE player in the 2nd or 3rd round.

As much as I really like Witherspoon, Gonzalez and Porter Jr., I'm not sold that any of them are truly top 6 prospects. I'd feel a hell of a lot better if I were to get an extra pick early on in the 2nd round and draft one of those three at No.9 or No.12 - even though a trade down nor expecting any of those aforementioned are guaranteed to be available 3 or 6 slots later.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically speaking only, you wouldn't draft Richardson at NO.18 overall if you had just picked up an early 2nd round pick (Hou - 33rd overall or Caro - 39th overall) by trading down to No.9 or No.12 overall. I think one of the three most talked about CB would be there. Also, I think that what you could get in Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson at No.6 you may get in another Edge/DE player in the 2nd or 3rd round.

As much as I really like Witherspoon, Gonzalez and Porter Jr., I'm not sold that any of them are truly top 6 prospects. I'd feel a hell of a lot better if I were to get an extra pick early on in the 2nd round and draft one of those three at No.9 r No.12 - even though a trade down nor expecting any of those aforementioned are guaranteed to be available 3 or 6 slots later.
I think based on his traits his stock will continue to skyrocket. I would not be shocked if Richardson went top 10 in the end. He is one of those where teams will ignore game tape and look at all the potential.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I wasn't even contemplating a first round WR. Not even Quentin Johnston.
He should not go until like the 3rd. The fact that he is considered a 1st is fricken insanity!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is intriguing for the Lions, but not for a first or a second, and he is not likely to even make it to the second.

Possibly a better option than drafting a 25-year-old CFB QB that is coming off an ACL tear that will most likely be drafted on day 2, no?

Even the day 3 prospects at QB for this draft aren't truly worthy of spending/wasting a pick on. jmo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should not go until like the 3rd. The fact that he is considered a 1st is fricken insanity!

Jalin Hyatt possibly being touted as a round 1 WR is only brought about by the media pundits. They do this every fricking year with almost any positional player.

DeMarvin Leal was viewed as a top 10 pick right up to beginning of February last draft. He went in the 3rd round. Nick Bolton, ILB, was being touted as a 1st round ILB and went late 2nd round. We can go around and around with the media pundits being clearly wrong more often than not.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly a better option than drafting a 25-year-old CFB QB that is coming off an ACL tear that will most likely be drafted on day 2, no?

Even the day 3 prospects at QB for this draft aren't truly worthy of spending/wasting a pick on. jmo.
I would have been thrilled with Bryce Young or Marcus Stroud, but Goff removed them as options. The rest would be a no for me. We do need a QB prospect to sit and learn sooner rather than later.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalin Hyatt possibly being touted as a round 1 WR is only brought about by the media pundits. They do this every fricking year with almost any positional player.

DeMarvin Leal was viewed as a top 10 pick right up to beginning of February last draft. He went in the 3rd round. Nick Bolton, ILB, was being touted as a 1st round ILB and went late 2nd round. We can go around and around with the media pundits being clearly wrong more often than not.
Seems like Media was right on Bolton!

Hyatt is a pure straight-line runner, and Tennessee staggers him at the line to avoid getting jammed. He is a 1 trick pony that adds little value elsewhere, with a non 0 chance that jamming him removes his 1 value.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Media was right on Bolton!

It still remains that he wasn't a first round pick even though media touted him as being one. No.56 overall, 2nd round pick, which is still a good or even a great pick for the Chiefs.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did Suh sign for multiple years?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No TEs this year until late. Mitchell proved himself worthy of more time. We need CBs on D. Even our best ones are just average.