• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lane

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 'other DB' spot in the LOB has always been questionable, even with Browner.

John Clayton keep talking about $4million for Lane. If the market is truly $4m, then this is a no brainer.
IMO, Lane is the FA we need to keep.

Sweezy and Okung, both OL, makes it difficult to lose both, but the topic is Lane.

Thoughts on keeping JL, despite losses on the OL.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to keep Jeremy lane as far as corners are concerned there really isn't much there behind Richard Sherman, I am not sure how everyone feels about Deshawn Shead and we are still seeing what Tye Smith is made up of. It is curious to see what we do with the OL we all know that tom cable loves switching DL to OL from draft prospects I don't see us keeping Okung maybe Sweezy we will see

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure that the market is $4 million for Lane. He is a guy who has missed so many games to injury. In the last 2 years he was out 19 of 32 possible regular season games. I don't necessarily see that as a $4 million price tag.

On the other hand, the drop off in CB play with Lane unavailable has been huge, so he obviously has some value.

A healthy Lane is easily worth $4 million a year. However $4 million a year for 6-8 games is too much. Risky proposition.

It is also worthy to note that he only has 2 INTs in his career.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, we have quite a bit of potential, but no sure things (including Lane) for the RCB spot. Lane has talent, but has never held down more than the nickel slot over the course of a full-ish season. Simon has potential, but is made of glass. Shead will play assignment-correct, but is more limited physically than the team would like. Smith is an unknown in game situations.

I look at this kind of like the reliever position in baseball. Go in with as many options as possible to give yourself the best chance to have one (or more)of them hit.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane is a tough call. If we have the room, I would like to retain him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind letting Lane walk. Another Thurmond case all over again. Great talent, but just can't stay on the field.

Okung I wouldn't mind letting walk either. The biggest thing your O-Line can have is consistency of play, and Okung has NEVER started a full season and he's going to ask for likely $10M+ a year.... and SOMEONE will give it to him. I don't think it's appropriate for Seattle to commit that much money on a somewhat tight team already to a guy who can't stay healthy.

Just because he's Seattle's best offensive lineman, doesn't mean we should overspend on a guy who can't stay on the field. I know his last 2 years have been a little more consistent, but I wonder how much this guy is jumping (false starts) and playing a little lackluster because of nagging injuries. Just because they start doesn't mean they are always 100%. You could say that for any player, but the ones that MISS games due to injuries are probably not 100% for more games than a guy playing all 16.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it came between the OL (Okung/Sweezy/FA?), DT (Rubin/Mebane/FA?) or Lang, I'd rather focus on the OL, DT and let Lang walk... He was solid at times but other times he was just ok... He's going to want a starters salary and I don't believe he's worth that imo... I'd rather go another route if push came to shove...

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is this Lang you speak of???

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has he been injured?

He missed half of the last two seasons if I recall. 2013 (our SB win) he played all I think... great talent, just one of those guys that can't seem to find the field. Much like Okung...

If Okung/Lane were 100% full time healthy.... oh man, this team....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has he been injured?
He's missed about half (or slightly more I guess) of each of the last 2 seasons, but the 2 before that were more or less full seasons for him. Also, he didn't get injured this year since it was a carryover from the SB. I think Lane is pretty valuable. He grew up in the system and has played well almost every time he's had a chance. And with both Thurmond and Maxwell leaving as free agents recently and probably under-performing on their next teams, there's a good chance we can keep Lane without having to grossly overpay.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's missed about half (or slightly more I guess) of each of the last 2 seasons, but the 2 before that were more or less full seasons for him. Also, he didn't get injured this year since it was a carryover from the SB. I think Lane is pretty valuable. He grew up in the system and has played well almost every time he's had a chance. And with both Thurmond and Maxwell leaving as free agents recently and probably under-performing on their next teams, there's a good chance we can keep Lane without having to grossly overpay.
Yeah , I also think Lane can be resigned at a moderate rate. He really hasn't been a starter long enough to earn a big pay day from anyone and I think the Seahawks want him back, so it should happen.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah , I also think Lane can be resigned at a moderate rate. He really hasn't been a starter long enough to earn a big pay day from anyone and I think the Seahawks want him back, so it should happen.

It sounds like he wants to stay a Hawk. Lane provides stability opposite side of Sherman.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Hawk Fans, Lane Returns, 4 yrs. $$$$$ ?

4/12
4/14
4/16
4/20
4/30? Thoughts on the value?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the issues the Seahawks have had in the past couple of years with bringing in free agent corners and getting them acclimated to the technique that Carroll expects to see from his corners, it makes sense that they'd want to keep Lane if they could, even if it meant paying him a little more than the market says he was worth. Luckily they were able to get it done and as long as he stays healthy (not a given by any stretch), the Hawks should be set in the defensive backfield with guys that know what they're doing.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing Lane at $22M for 4 years, $6M guaranteed. Not an official source, but one that's fairly reputable.

If true, that's a good contract. I'd say a solid B. Lane is worth $5M per year but can't stay healthy. $6M guaranteed means Seattle can likely cut him after this year or the next at probably only a $2-3M cap hit (immaterial) if he's just not able to stay on the field.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the deal. It's not an overpay, and of the guys that have left in years past I feel he is the one with the most value. I loved BMax, but keeping him wasn't going to happen.