• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers at Cardinals

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's Monday Night Football and the Niners play the Cards in mexico city.

Reports say that the Cards will start McCoy at QB b/c Murray's hammy still isn't ready yet (Murray is the Cards' leading rusher). They'll still be without their starters at LT, TE, and CB too. OTOH, Hopkins, who was listed as questionable will play.

The Cardinal OL is beat up, but so is the Niner DL. We'll be without 3 DL starters AGAIN.

The Cards can score, they are 12th in scoring, but they're 29th in scoring defense, so the Niners offense will have plenty of chances, particularly through the air where AZ is in the bottom third of the league--but can Jimmy throw well enough to exploit it? AZ is also near the bottom of the league in 3rd downs--both offense and defense. That stacks up well for SF.

The Niners are heavy favorites, with sports books having them down as 9.5-10pt favorites! And that despite the Cards beating us last year with McCoy under center! I have no idea what that is about b/c the Cards play the Niners hard and they've won their fair share lately.

Well, what are ya'll's thoughts on teh game?

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not matter but with the thin air could we see Jimmy sail his receivers more this game? If the running game gets going is may not matter.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Obviously a huge West win and i'll take it no matter how many things favored us. We need wins so i'll take it no matter.

Started off like the Rams game where we were giving the short passes BUT making the tackles.

No serious injuries was great to read.

Its been awhile were we were 'comfortable' going into the 4th quarter. We normally have to squeeze out a close game.

JG is playing at his 'ceiling' which won't happen every game. Good to see the run game was much better.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A blowout win over AZ. 38-10. After it was 14-10 in the 2nd quarter, the Niners scored 24 straight unanswered points. Probably the best full game of the season for the Niners.

One of Jimmy’s best games. He was 20 of 29 for 228yds and 4TDs. Those numbers include 2 dropped passes. We knew in advance that there would be chances through the air for big plays and we capitalized on them this time. He even had an ad lib where no one was open and he used his legs to buy time and hit Kittle for a big play TD.

The Niners attempted 21 passes in the first half—the Cards were selling out to stop the run—and just 8 passes in the 2nd half. They were timely throws, but by the 2nd half, Mitchell got more carries and the running game woke up. It’s nice to see Shanny take what the defense gave him for a change—the D was daring the Niners the pass the ball most of the night.
--Kittle had 4 catches for 84yds and a TD. With the ball in his hands, he was great. It still blows my mind how he can disappear from the gameplan for weeks. This is what happens when he gets chances.
--CMC had 106 total yds. 7 carries for 39yds and 7 catches for 67yds.
--Deebo had 94 total yds. 3 carries for 37ydsa and a TD and 7 catches for 57yrds. That was some of the Deebo we’re used to seeing.
--Aiyuk had 2 TD catches.

Niners averaged 5.7ypc on the ground. 5 different players had a carry.

And the unsung player that probably needs more touches is Mitchell. He had only 1 carry in the first half, but ended up with 9 carries for 59yds and looked great out there. Getting him back has really changed the running game. Him splitting carries with CMC is a good way to keep them both healthier. We even saw Jordan Mason get some carries in garbage time and he had one good looking run (and was it just me or did he look really big?)

Pass protection was very good. Jimmy wasn’t sacked all night and didn’t get much pressure. TW had a very good game and even McGlinchey looked ok out there. On Deebo’s long TD run, Brendel was 20 yds downfield burying Budda Baker and opening the door into the EZ.

Another 2nd half shut out by the Niner defense (3rd in a row). Had to be some great adjustments at halftime (again).

McCoy was 24 of 34 for 218yds and an INT. Half of those yards came in garbage time with our backups on the field. McCoy was good for the first few drives and Hopkins was eating our lunch with 7 catches for 70+ in the first half, but he only caught 2 more balls the rest of the way and we kept him out of the endzone.

Our backup DL and Bosa did a very good job. Bosa, Warner, and Givens all had sacks and the Cards had very little running game when the game was still in doubt.

Bosa had a boneheaded offsides penalty that led to the Cards’ biggest play of the night (free play).

Womack got some PT in garbage time and snagged an INT and nearly had another one. Womack also had a great ST play to bat a punt backward at the goalline where Moore touched it down at the 4.

Gipson and Moore had a great pass breakup on a deep ball for Hopkins.

Niners now lead the NFC West (tiebreaker with Seattle). All they have to do is hold down the fort and win the games they’re supposed to. 3 game homestand coming with the Saints, Dolphins, and Bucs and the Niners should come out of that 2-1. Seattle’s next 3 games are LV, @Rams, Carolina, and then the Niners on Thursday night. That will be a key game b/c Seattle will likely come in tied or ahead of us. With the win over AZ, the ESPN analytics gave the Niners more than an 80% chance to win the division and a 90%+ chance of making the playoffs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Giving credit where credit is due, I agree with the below for all his starts except Denver:

"It’s easy to write off strong Garoppolo games as a product of the 49ers’ offensive scheme and its playmakers, but there are too many things Garoppolo is doing now that he’s never done in the past that are making him successful. He’s not taking bad sacks, he’s not trying to fit throws into traffic, he’s making plays out of structure, and in general he seems less frenetic in the pocket."

We'll certainly need this level of play on a consistant basis, if we hope to win the SB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Again credit where credit is due, except for McGlinchey:

"Pass protection was very good. Jimmy wasn’t sacked all night and didn’t get much pressure."

Prior to the season there was a lot of concern with the interior O-line, but their pass blocking has been good.....except for......

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again credit where credit is due, except for McGlinchey:

"Pass protection was very good. Jimmy wasn’t sacked all night and didn’t get much pressure."

Prior to the season there was a lot of concern with the interior O-line, but their pass blocking has been good.....except for......
Good point. Banks, Brendel, and Burford were the unknowns, the big worries on the OLine. Turns out that Banks has been pretty good, better at pass pro than run blocking, but still good for a first time starter. He's been the biggest surprise for me.

Burford started out well, but ended up rotating with Brunskill at RG. It's working, so it's hard to complain about it, but I still wonder why the rotation. Are they tied in terms of who is better? Does Burford need more breaks? Are the coaches throwing Brunskill/Burford a bone by ensuring the nonstarter gets some PT?

Brendel appears to be the weakest link and other than a game or two (like Seattle), even he's been average. Still need an upgrade at center though. OC and RT (along with S) should be offseason priorities.

McGlinchey has definitely been the weakest link on the Oline. and he's in the last year of his deal, so unless he comes back on a bargain deal, this is probably his last season in SF.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving credit where credit is due, I agree with the below for all his starts except Denver:

"It’s easy to write off strong Garoppolo games as a product of the 49ers’ offensive scheme and its playmakers, but there are too many things Garoppolo is doing now that he’s never done in the past that are making him successful. He’s not taking bad sacks, he’s not trying to fit throws into traffic, he’s making plays out of structure, and in general he seems less frenetic in the pocket."

We'll certainly need this level of play on a consistant basis, if we hope to win the SB.
Great point. Aside from a game like Denver, Jimmy has been good this year. Better than his previous best. He's been avoiding the killer turnovers that have plagued him at times. He's even made a couple of plays on the move this season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good point. Banks, Brendel, and Burford were the unknowns, the big worries on the OLine. Turns out that Banks has been pretty good, better at pass pro than run blocking, but still good for a first time starter. He's been the biggest surprise for me.

Burford started out well, but ended up rotating with Brunskill at RG. It's working, so it's hard to complain about it, but I still wonder why the rotation. Are they tied in terms of who is better? Does Burford need more breaks? Are the coaches throwing Brunskill/Burford a bone by ensuring the nonstarter gets some PT?

Brendel appears to be the weakest link and other than a game or two (like Seattle), even he's been average. Still need an upgrade at center though. OC and RT (along with S) should be offseason priorities.

McGlinchey has definitely been the weakest link on the Oline. and he's in the last year of his deal, so unless he comes back on a bargain deal, this is probably his last season in SF.
Agree at RG, if rotating like this is working, then continue doing it. I hope the reason is throwing Brunskill a bone but we'll see next season. If they're doing this to run certain plays, i can't tell?

Even though i agree we could upgrade at C too, don't see us doing much in free agency. We have a lot of our own free agents and we can't keep them all. There will be hard decisions after most of the cap is spent on Bosa and Aiyuk.

We do need to draft OT but without draft picks and near the cap max, we're "stuck" another year. I'd hate to give McGlinchey another contract but at least he's near "NFL average", replacing him won't be easy either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Elijah Mitchell and Deebo Samuel likely to play this Sunday, this should make it easier on CMC. Not saying rest CMC entirely but i'd lessen his run load to half of the Raider game. Give Mitchell a pitch count of around 12, and then use Mason or TDP to close.

Spencer Burford needs to improve at least one step up.

I'd try moving Jimmie Ward back to Safety and insert someone else at NB. We need better coverage in the Secondary so Hufanga is the one who sits. He doesn't need to sit all game, but his errors are consistently turning into TD's. Trying this change is in anticipation of the play-offs, not only to win this game.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish that Philly/NY was the early game so that we know the results before the 9ers have to suit up.... as of now, you gotta go in full steam ahead assuming the #1 seed is still on the table.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wish that Philly/NY was the early game so that we know the results before the 9ers have to suit up.... as of now, you gotta go in full steam ahead assuming the #1 seed is still on the table.
Ideally we get a 'comfortable' lead so key players can be removed in the 4th quarter. Granted, "comfortable" is hard to define in the NFL. :-)

IF not, yeah we have to win the game first. Because the Giants are locked in their seed, dont' see them trying hard to beat the Eagles. Whereas the Eagles now feel the heat and WILL play focused.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Elijah Mitchell and Deebo Samuel likely to play this Sunday, this should make it easier on CMC. Not saying rest CMC entirely but i'd lessen his run load to half of the Raider game. Give Mitchell a pitch count of around 12, and then use Mason or TDP to close.

Spencer Burford needs to improve at least one step up.

I'd try moving Jimmie Ward back to Safety and insert someone else at NB. We need better coverage in the Secondary so Hufanga is the one who sits. He doesn't need to sit all game, but his errors are consistently turning into TD's. Trying this change is in anticipation of the play-offs, not only to win this game.
Will Kyle actually play Deebo and Mitchell against the Cards? Personally, I doubt it.

I continue to question why Mason doesn't get more carries. The guy produces, but for some reason he's an afterthought and CMC keeps getting overworked. Kyle MUST lower CMC's workload against the Cards.

I agree that I'd like to see a change at safety. I have to wonder what the coaches are doing regarding Hufanga. Some time on the bench might help to remind him that blowing coverages is not ok. Mistakes happen, but when they're as consistent as his are, they are a pattern. But taking Ward off of NCB could open up a problem there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will Kyle actually play Deebo and Mitchell against the Cards? Personally, I doubt it.

I continue to question why Mason doesn't get more carries. The guy produces, but for some reason he's an afterthought and CMC keeps getting overworked. Kyle MUST lower CMC's workload against the Cards.

I agree that I'd like to see a change at safety. I have to wonder what the coaches are doing regarding Hufanga. Some time on the bench might help to remind him that blowing coverages is not ok. Mistakes happen, but when they're as consistent as his are, they are a pattern. But taking Ward off of NCB could open up a problem there.
IF Deebo and Mitchell are healthy, think he'll play them at least on a pitch count. IMO you give them some reps in preparation for the play-offs, to knock off the rust. If they're not ready to go, then of course don't force it.

Yeah, Hufanga started the season like gangbusters, but that is long gone. His 'sixth sense' has gotten in him in trouble over the last 4 or 5 games. That's enough trouble for me to think about making adjustments.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...elijah-mitchell-snaps-during-49ers-cardinals/

Makes sense to me since Mitchell has looked good the last two days. Give him just enough reps to knock the rust off, not play him all game. "Reps" include pass routes and pass blocking, not just running the ball.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wide receiver Deebo Samuel went through a full practice on Wednesday and appears to have no physical issues that will prevent him from playing against the Cardinals. Samuel missed three games with sprains to his ankle and knee.

Same here, i'd play Deebo just enough to knock the rust off. Don't know how many plays is "just enough", maybe the 1st half?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Giants are planning to sit a lot of starters this game, at least that's what one of their beat writers said on Twitter today based on what he's seen at practice this week. Still gotta go in with the mindset that the #1 seed is possible, but not sure how long we keep the starters in based on how the Philly game is going.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Givens was back at practice. That is a good development. We’re thin at DT.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals going with Blough at QB (QB#4).

Hopkins, their best WR, and Baker, their best defensive player, are both out for the game as well.

On a side note, it's amazing how many teams have or will have started 3 different Qbs this season. SF, New Orleans, Miami, NYJ, Arizona, Washington, LAR, Tennessee, Houston, Carolina. That's 10 teams just off the top of my head--that's a third of the league!

Last edited: