• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers OFFICIALLY DONE until Jim Buss is gone

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a MEETING with any top end free agents. NOBODY will even talk to them.

So he goes out and gives Timofey Mozgov 16MM per season??? That's more than Steph Curry at maybe 1% of the production!!!!!!

I'm starting to pity Lakers fans. They're trapped.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Laker appeal has not been a real thing for some time. It is no longer a giant advantage for endorsements, players are going to go to winning teams no matter of location anymore. Outside of being built to win the biggest factors seem to be location, which LA is one of the tops. and State Income Tax, which LA is near the bottom.

All that being said if Russell, Ingram, Clarkson, and Randall all improve as expected top players will look at LA again no matter who the GM is.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERYONE will be overpaid this summer compared to contracts under the previous caps. Timing is everything I guess.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said if Russell, Ingram, Clarkson, and Randall all improve as expected top players will look at LA again no matter who the GM is.

^^^THIS^^^

The Lakers said that if the Dwight/Nash deal didn't work, they'd be looking at some tough times. They were right. Considering where they were when that happened, I think they've done a remarkable job of putting together a solid young core that they can build around.

Players today are looking for places that they can go and contend right away and also into the future. The Lakers are not going to contend right away, especially in the West. No one is coming to the Lakers because of endorsement opportunities anymore and to be honest, I'm not sure they ever did.

Where being in LA comes into play is when things are relatively equal between the Lakers and another team. That's when being in LA and being the Lakers tips the scale in their favor. Not when they have no chance of contending.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree - the Lakers have a solid court of first round draft picks that will be a future team and all of them show promise. The Lakers simply have to coach them to the greatness they are capable of. Jim hasn't been his dad by any means, but he is learning and getting better. It takes time for a man to learn a new career.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a MEETING with any top end free agents. NOBODY will even talk to them.

So he goes out and gives Timofey Mozgov 16MM per season??? That's more than Steph Curry at maybe 1% of the production!!!!!!

I'm starting to pity Lakers fans. They're trapped.
I'm thinking you're about my age and still mentally FUBAR for what Showtime did to the Mavs in the 80's.

Amirite?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^THIS^^^

The Lakers said that if the Dwight/Nash deal didn't work, they'd be looking at some tough times. They were right. Considering where they were when that happened, I think they've done a remarkable job of putting together a solid young core that they can build around.

Players today are looking for places that they can go and contend right away and also into the future. The Lakers are not going to contend right away, especially in the West. No one is coming to the Lakers because of endorsement opportunities anymore and to be honest, I'm not sure they ever did.

Where being in LA comes into play is when things are relatively equal between the Lakers and another team. That's when being in LA and being the Lakers tips the scale in their favor. Not when they have no chance of contending.
A lot of things that happened that was not Jim's fault - I don't think you can blame him for everything when you don't know what went on behind closed doors and those decisions were being discussed. For all you know Jim was telling Mitch that it was Mitch's decision and on him if it failed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of things that happened that was not Jim's fault - I don't think you can blame him for everything when you don't know what went on behind closed doors and those decisions were being discussed. For all you know Jim was telling Mitch that it was Mitch's decision and on him if it failed.

Mitch is Jim's employee. I trust Mitch MUCH more than I trust any of these Buss offspring.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch is Jim's employee. I trust Mitch MUCH more than I trust any of these Buss offspring.
That's what I have been saying, but in business, owners deflect decisions to the employees so they can be blamed for the mess and then clean up if it fails. That's not necessarily fair, but then neither is life.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Mavs are that much better off as well. They're not getting Conley. They're about to lose Parsons and who are they bringing back? 38-year old Dirk? Only quality player that's a good trade chip on that roster is Wesley Matthews.

At least the Lakers have young quality talent to start building on. Where's Dallas at?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Mavs are that much better off as well. They're not getting Conley. They're about to lose Parsons and who are they bringing back? 38-year old Dirk? Only quality player that's a good trade chip on that roster is Wesley Matthews.

At least the Lakers have young quality talent to start building on. Where's Dallas at?

Dallas screwed their chances years ago when they traded Tyson Chandler coming off their finals vs the Heat. They got cheap and have been trending downward since. That window shut quickly. At this point, they have to find that next young player to build around; a rebuild is coming.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being used to get max offers from their current teams. I enjoy seeing Cuban flail.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas screwed their chances years ago when they traded Tyson Chandler coming off their finals vs the Heat. They got cheap and have been trending downward since. That window shut quickly. At this point, they have to find that next young player to build around; a rebuild is coming.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dirk dip out. They're barely competitive at this juncture. Carlisle has to be happy given that his coaching talents are being wasted.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but Mitch has the experience and has excelled in the past. I think he's hamstrung by Jim, and Jim's buffoonery is affecting the Laker brand altogether.

I like Mitch. I also think the two younger Buss boys, along with Ryan West, are on an upward trajectory as NBA front office executives. Perhaps elevate Mitch to President of Basketball Operations and Ryan West to General Manager once Jimmy is gone next summer.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember that. Cuban threw away a title team because he thought he could get Dwight and Derron Williams in the following offseason. Didn't even give his title team a chance to repeat. That's the definition of karma.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I somehow don't feel the same pity for the Lakers.