• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers locker room isolating D'Angelo Russell after video surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would depend because to be honest it's quite common for young kids six years old and over to have and shoot guns in most of the eastern part of the United States. I shot rifles when I was ten years old with my cousins in Missouri and we were very responsible. You might not like my response, but you asked me if I thought younger adults were irresponsible - and my response is hell yes they are irresponsible. Now if you know of a way to change that culture - I am all hears - but the statistics with drunk drives shows that even the adults are irresponsible as hell. If the 40 year old men are getting out there and driving drunk, how do you expect the younger guys to be any better? Now on the other hand, if you want to lower the age of drinking to 18, combined with a mandatory ten years in jail for drunk driving - I would be very willing. In Mexico, Drunk Driving carries a life sentence or used to and guess what - they don't have a problem. We are to soft on crime

I think this post provides a much better solution than raising the drinking age. From my personal experience, I was a complete lush my early years of college. When I turned 21, I still drank plenty, but not as much as I had before. Now, in my 30s, I only drink occasionally and never to get wasted. Many of my friends were the same way. There is an appeal for young men to "live dangerously". The only way I know of to prevent this type of behavior is harsh consequences. Raising the drinking age could actually make the problem worse.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is an LA thing ...

Griffin and the equipment guy.
Jordan backs out on Cuban/Mavericks

FYI ... saw a quote where Iggy said the "she liked Russell's film"

Those two do not compare. They didn't break the "guy code."

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A stupid debate like Whiteside vs. Thompson got over 1000 posts. I think this one is just getting warmed up.

Imagine if this was Kyrie Irving ... do you really think Laker fans would be on here saying "this is done" ... "way too much made of this" ???
I can't speak for the other Lakers fans, since many of them actually believed Jim Buss when he said the Lakers would be rebuilt in three years or stepped down. That alone tells you their mentality, but I don't pay attention to things like this. Bulshit happens and they are still kids in adult bodies. They still have some growing up to do. I honestly just don't see the big deal about it. I wouldn't be happy about if it happened to me and I would be very careful who I chose to be friends after that, but I have had to let things go and forgive others for shit much worse. Imagine your own sister telling you that she was going to never speak to your and her own mother to punish you or calling up your sister because your brother asked for some help to bury their own mother and telling her to go Fuck God and shit on the bible. This is nothing man

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this post provides a much better solution than raising the drinking age. From my personal experience, I was a complete lush my early years of college. When I turned 21, I still drank plenty, but not as much as I had before. Now, in my 30s, I only drink occasionally and never to get wasted. Many of my friends were the same way. There is an appeal for young men to "live dangerously". The only way I know of to prevent this type of behavior is harsh consequences. Raising the drinking age could actually make the problem worse.
Perhaps - but if you don't then the penalty for breaking the law needs to be stepped up -

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a professional athlete, making millions of dollars, you're a target for the public eye. There's not much of their personal lives that they can keep to themselves, and I fully believe the negative response by the other players goes deeper than "man code". It's a violation of what little privacy they have left if their own private conversations cannot remain private.

Aside from a basketball/locker room perspective, in general this is something that is unacceptable. If you found out your co-worker was recording your private conversation, how would you feel? Likely violated. It wouldn't matter the topic of conversation, but the pure fact that it is a gross invasion of privacy.

Anyone out there who says they haven't said anything that could at the very least be misconstrued as offensive would be lying. We've all done it. We've joked around with our friends. Negative comments about a superior or co-worker. Anything really.

Athletes in general view the world as predatory, which a lot of the time it is. They try to keep as much of their private life close to the vest because anything they do or say can be used against them in the court of public opinion.

Russell may never be completely forgiven for this. This actions are far worse than Kobe ratting on Shaq because of the intent involved. Whether Russell meant to publicize the recording or not, why the hell was he recording in the first place? Kobe ratted to save his own ass, which is low, but Russell threw his teammate under the bus for no apparent reason. That is worse.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is an LA thing ...

Griffin and the equipment guy.
Jordan backs out on Cuban/Mavericks

FYI ... saw a quote where Iggy said the "she liked Russell's film"

Oh, and Iggy was being sarcastic.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made it to page 6 and still haven't seen pictures of Iggy. What page do they start and why is it taking so long?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99% of this stuff is ridiculoous- all the twitter- the personal stuff etc....

this story has gotten my attention though just because of the sanctity of the locker room angle--- but i agree with the sentiment- that ACTUAL BASKETBALL and the management of the team is far and away more compelling than the personal lives and thoughts of the players.

It's also not whining about a shoe deal or anything absurd like that.

This legit ruined a marriage.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also not whining about a shoe deal or anything absurd like that.

This legit ruined a marriage.

They're engaged...at least for now.
Maybe this whole silly thing will end up saving Swaggy a boat load of potential divorce settlement $$$, if they decide to split up before that knot gets tied...pre-nups notwithstanding.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a professional athlete, making millions of dollars, you're a target for the public eye. There's not much of their personal lives that they can keep to themselves, and I fully believe the negative response by the other players goes deeper than "man code". It's a violation of what little privacy they have left if their own private conversations cannot remain private.

Aside from a basketball/locker room perspective, in general this is something that is unacceptable. If you found out your co-worker was recording your private conversation, how would you feel? Likely violated. It wouldn't matter the topic of conversation, but the pure fact that it is a gross invasion of privacy.

Anyone out there who says they haven't said anything that could at the very least be misconstrued as offensive would be lying. We've all done it. We've joked around with our friends. Negative comments about a superior or co-worker. Anything really.

Athletes in general view the world as predatory, which a lot of the time it is. They try to keep as much of their private life close to the vest because anything they do or say can be used against them in the court of public opinion.
you make some really good points about how defensive the athletes are. They consider that locker room sacred ground to a certain extent. The conversations they have their and on the team plane and hotel room etc. out to dinner- when they are in their private life---- what Young did was just such an incredible invasion and the crazy part is- like your saying- at some point or another -we have all done or said things that we would not want printed on the front of a newspaper or going viral over social media.

Could you even imagine if a co-worker of yours secretely tape recorded you- and ended up being the cause of losing your fiance and probably your job? No one else would EVER say anything around you that wasnt 100% on the up and up. EVER.

I dont think the Lakers should or need to trade Russell- its just ognna be what it is for a while- I think there is an issue- and i have no clue how much of an issue it will be- but because Russell is the PG and needs guys to trust him- itll be interesting to see how it plays out. Maybe court stuff is totally different- but it sure didnt seem like that. I dunno.

If this was just media and fan BS i wouldnt pay much attention. The fact that all these players are reacting so strongly really demonstrates just how profoundly Mr. Russell fucked up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell may never be completely forgiven for this. This actions are far worse than Kobe ratting on Shaq because of the intent involved. Whether Russell meant to publicize the recording or not, why the hell was he recording in the first place? Kobe ratted to save his own ass, which is low, but Russell threw his teammate under the bus for no apparent reason. That is worse.

Incorrect. According to Russell, he never intended for that video to get out in public. As a matter of fact, that video was taken a few months ago and was just released the other day. There is speculation that a 3rd party got a hold of it and posted it. Supposedly had something to do with some feud with Iggy.

As for the why was he recording it, apparently they record each other doing stupid crap all of the time. If you watch the recording, at the end, Russell tells him he got recorded. So Nick Young knew it had been recorded.

Also, there is only one place that Russell's teammates need to trust him and that's on the basketball court. Pretty sure Shaq and Kobe didn't trust each other off the court, but it didn't stop them from winning championships on it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....Kobe the rat or Russell the idiot? which one is worse tlance? you are voting stupidity worse? i dunno if i necessarily agree....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect. According to Russell, he never intended for that video to get out in public. As a matter of fact, that video was taken a few months ago and was just released the other day. There is speculation that a 3rd party got a hold of it and posted it. Supposedly had something to do with some feud with Iggy.

As for the why was he recording it, apparently they record each other doing stupid crap all of the time. If you watch the recording, at the end, Russell tells him he got recorded. So Nick Young knew it had been recorded.

Also, there is only one place that Russell's teammates need to trust him and that's on the basketball court. Pretty sure Shaq and Kobe didn't trust each other off the court, but it didn't stop them from winning championships on it.
yah- i dont think Russells intention was for it to get out- but i would say he was criminally negligent in allowing it to happen- and really has no defense...you cant say- i didnt mean for it to get out--- you should have NEVERE EVER EVER been doing it in the first place....i realize he lacked the intent--- it just doesnt make it any better.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah- i dont think Russells intention was for it to get out- but i would say he was criminally negligent in allowing it to happen- and really has no defense...you cant say- i didnt mean for it to get out--- you should have NEVERE EVER EVER been doing it in the first place....i realize he lacked the intent--- it just doesnt make it any better.

Negligence is clearly the best way to represent this.

You didn't intend to burn the house to the ground, but you left the stove on and it happened as a result. You didn't mean to burn the house down, but you were negligent nonetheless. You own responsibility in this, even if you didn't mean for it to happen.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the most part, I agree. He was videoing the conversation which apparently is something they do quite a bit to prank each other and/or just laugh at themselves doing stupid shit. He even told Young it was on video.

There is now speculation that it was a 3rd party that released the video and that it may have something to do with a feud between Iggy Azalea and some other rapper. What apparently isn't known, is how that 3rd party got a hold of the video.

To Russell's credit, he says it's still his fault, even though he says he doesn't know how it got out.

End of the day, he has taken the right steps to have this end fairly quickly and make whatever amends he can. He also says he understands that he's going to have to earn the trust of, not only his current teammates, but also any future ones. Really not much more he can do except learn from this and make sure nothing like it ever happens again.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So that is why all the Laker players immediately spoke up and supported Russell saying it must have been a mistake -- he would have never done it on purpose. Like they all said -- "we really like him ... he is a great guy".

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, I agree. He was videoing the conversation which apparently is something they do quite a bit to prank each other and/or just laugh at themselves doing stupid shit. He even told Young it was on video.

There is now speculation that it was a 3rd party that released the video and that it may have something to do with a feud between Iggy Azalea and some other rapper. What apparently isn't known, is how that 3rd party got a hold of the video.

To Russell's credit, he says it's still his fault, even though he says he doesn't know how it got out.

End of the day, he has taken the right steps to have this end fairly quickly and make whatever amends he can. He also says he understands that he's going to have to earn the trust of, not only his current teammates, but also any future ones. Really not much more he can do except learn from this and make sure nothing like it ever happens again.

I get the feeling he knows the exact source, but he's not going to reveal it to potentially make the situation worse by ratting someone out. He ruled out that he was hacked, and virtually no one does that these days because it's a perfect excuse. I think he knows the source, but it would either be damning/embarassing to reveal it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that is why all the Laker players immediately spoke up and supported Russell saying it must have been a mistake -- he would have never done it on purpose. Like they all said -- "we really like him ... he is a great guy".

Please post the part where I suggested they did.

They haven't said anything. They are making him pay the price in the locker room, which is where it belongs. Judging by the way they were all celebrating with him when they won last night, they aren't having much of problem with him on the court, which is the only place it really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.