• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why are many so quick to assume that Boogie is gone from Golden State after the season?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is realistically going to make a big offer from him to lure him away from the Warriors? To me, his track record is too sketchy for that to happen. Brooklyn? Good young team, but is he really the guy you want to surround your young talent with? The Lakers...Would they really give up any chances to sign AD outright for Boogie???

I just don't see any realistic scenarios here.

I see Klay getting his max, and Boogie signing another relatively cheap one-year deal to remain in GS. Durant could go to the Knicks if he gets another star to go with him (Kyrie or Kemba). Otherwise, I see him ending up in Brooklyn. No chance he goes to that craphole franchise without another max player...

Then in a year when Iggy's deal comes off the books, the Warriors will have more wiggle room in free agency and will once again look like winners even if they lose Durant. I still get a kick out of their sappy fans constantly playing the "victim" card due to their team having so many "haters", though.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, per the CBA, they can only offer him X% higher than his current salary. I don't recall the exact percentage. But since he signed on the cheap, he won't be making much more because of that. Even in your scenario (not likely) of no one offering him a max, he'd still get a significant pay raise signing with another team

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, per the CBA, they can only offer him X% higher than his current salary. I don't recall the exact percentage. But since he signed on the cheap, he won't be making much more because of that. Even in your scenario (not likely) of no one offering him a max, he'd still get a significant pay raise signing with another team

Yep, I think they can only pay him $6.4 mil next year (making $5 mil this year), with 5% raises each year after. Peanuts. Cousins needs to get one big contract, because it will be his first and last

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep.

And the Lakers could easily decide on signing Cousins....James and Cousins is a solid duo to build around.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is realistically going to make a big offer from him to lure him away from the Warriors? To me, his track record is too sketchy for that to happen. Brooklyn? Good young team, but is he really the guy you want to surround your young talent with? The Lakers...Would they really give up any chances to sign AD outright for Boogie???

I just don't see any realistic scenarios here.

I see Klay getting his max, and Boogie signing another relatively cheap one-year deal to remain in GS. Durant could go to the Knicks if he gets another star to go with him (Kyrie or Kemba). Otherwise, I see him ending up in Brooklyn. No chance he goes to that craphole franchise without another max player...

Then in a year when Iggy's deal comes off the books, the Warriors will have more wiggle room in free agency and will once again look like winners even if they lose Durant. I still get a kick out of their sappy fans constantly playing the "victim" card due to their team having so many "haters", though.

Boogie is always an options as a cap space holder for teams that strike out this year in Free Agency. I don't think Boogie gets a max in years, but max in dollars is absolutely still in play for many teams.

One team that I think might work is Dallas. The only reason I think this works is because of the stability of the organization. Carlisle and Cuban seem to be on the same page when it comes to organizational direction. They've invested in their youth and will have a ton of cap space to fill this off-season. If they strike out on KD, Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay, etc, (whoa lots of K's), there could be a plausible scenario where they punt the cap space for a year or two by offering Boogie a max deal. It could be a 1+1 type deal.

Brooklyn might be another option. NY may take a flier again if they miss out on all the big name guys.

Again, I agree there will be teams that are hesitant to sign Boogie, but for cap purposes there are worse guys you could give big number AAV to as long as you keep the years short.

Lastly, one thing you may have to consider is what the Warriors feel the overall benefit to him being on the team has been. Talent-wise, he's still up there and I think as his conditioning gets better, he'll be more impactful. But overall as a whole he hasn't been a net positive for the team in terms of on-court play. He's been awful in late game closing situations and has already voiced displeasure about not being in there during crunch time. What happens during the playoffs if Kerr decides to go small at the end and opts for Iguodala over him? How will that sit with him.

Still lots of unknowns at this time.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're a different team with him. I was expecting him to make them so much better than they were, looks like the opposite may be happening here.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He better get his title this year because he is off to the highest bidder.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F
He better get his title this year because he is off to the highest bidder.
For sure but what if the highest bidder is a contender that just needs him to get a title?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F

For sure but what if the highest bidder is a contender that just needs him to get a title?

Possible thst a team might think that I guess, in reality I can’t think of what that team might be.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible thst a team might think that I guess, in reality I can’t think of what that team might be.
There's going to be so many moving pieces I don't think anyone knows who the contenders will be next year. This is the last year we can say the Warriors are obvious favorites IMO

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's going to be so many moving pieces I don't think anyone knows who the contenders will be next year. This is the last year we can say the Warriors are obvious favorites IMO

Yeah he’s just not the piece he once was. You are right though with a KD less Warriors team I guess he could be a 3rd wheel that can make a difference.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he’s just not the piece he once was. You are right though with a KD less Warriors team I guess he could be a 3rd wheel that can make a difference.
Exactly, if KD leaves, and Boogie is definitely leaving, the Ws will no longer be the only top tier team

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah.

Next year could be wide open, unless a new superteam unexpectedly emerges.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a zero percent chance Boogie takes six million in California next year

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Boogie get paid more is going to get the max, but I think he's going to paid more than the Warriors are going to be able to pay him.

I haven't seen him a lot. But from what I've seen/read considering his injury, how long it takes to heal, how long after that it takes to get it back to close to full strength and that he's in a completely new system, I think he's shown enough that teams will look to sign him.

Imo, the problem for him is that it probably won't be until a couple of months into next season before we know how close he can get to where he was before the injury.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers...Would they really give up any chances to sign AD outright for Boogie???

That's going to be a tough decision that they hopefully won't have to make. Hopefully, they can trade for AD in the off-season. Or maybe sign a guy like Vucevic and maybe trade for a guy like Beal (my preference).

The problem would be that if they don't get AD via trade, they are looking at possibly having to preserve their cap space to hopefully sign him as an FA after next season.

That will have then wasted 2 years of what most seem to think is a 3-4 year window to get a title before Lebron seriously declines.

If they don't get AD or someone else this off-season, I could see them giving some very serious thought to trying to sign Boogie if they think he can get back to close to where he was before the injury.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point agree 100%. Who knows what happens with Durant? Lose him and they are at least somewhat vulnerable.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Indiana should make a move to buy him. 'Dipo coming back, Sabonis, and Boogie!