• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Celtics 30 for 30

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was probably the best playoff series I ever watched. Incredible series.
But the 1984 Finals was great too and probably saved the NBA.
This was a awesom 30 for 30. So far Parts 1 and 2 are all about the Celtics.
Part 3 is Lakers payback time.. :(

It was interesting to watch the series and how the game has changed.

Teams then had no respect for guys hitting 3 pointers. (they'd back off of Magic and just wait for him in the key ... same for DJ ... and Ainge/Scott for the most part)

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That finals was crazy. Unbelievably dramatic. The only one I can think of that is up there with '84 is the Spurs/Heat finals that went 7.
Man, the only thing I knew about that series was that Magic had those struggles, Mchale cloteheslined Rambis, and Boston won. The amount of animosity, and close game moments in that series had is unreal. I was mad in 08, but I can't imagine what seeing the Lakers lose THAT series was like.

Yeah, the press conference at the time was surreal. Dr. Buss originally hired Pat Riley and Jerry West as co-head coaches because Riles had zero head coaching experience.

Literally, during the press conference, The Logo realized that co-head coaches wasn't going to work. So when it was his turn to speak, he got up and said that Pat Riley is the Head Coach and he would be assisting him. Dr. Buss was a little caught off guard by that. lol

Just shows how truly smart (and humble) Jerry West actually is.
The fact that Pat freakin Riley didn't want to come out of the commentating booth, AND the fact that he said, "well if no one else wants it, I'll take it" is hilarious to me. Also, I was shocked at the fact that people really viewed Showtime as "street ball"

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, any stat like this needs a starting point and I think 5 seconds was probably used because those tend to be literally the last shot. There is no chance to get another crack at it.

Having said that, I think all game winning shots are pretty clutch regardless if it comes with more than 5 seconds on the clock.

It's like the game winning hit vs. the walk off in baseball. The Dodgers Corey Seager had the game winning hit in the bottom of the 8th in 1 game last week and then a walk off in the next game.

Both were clutch, both won the game, but the walk off seemed just a little more clutch.

The problem with using 5 seconds though, is that many of those attempts tend to be desperation heaves that have little chance. You know, like the deep fade away 3 he hit to beat my wizards during the regular season.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to 60's ..race relations always has to be a part of the story ..but after 40 min or so in ...is it going to talk about basketball?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to 60's ..race relations always has to be a part of the story ..but after 40 min or so in ...is it going to talk about basketball?

Also the Celtics had what the 1st or 2nd for attendance? But yeah, no one supported the Celtics back then.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't understand the myriad ways that you can contract HIV (not AIDS, btw), then you need to do some reading.

Yep - just watch Dallas Buyer Club - that guy had full blown AIDS & was as far from gay as you come. Also - if Magic had any gay affairs then most certainly the details would have come out by now. Pretty ignorant for someone at this time to link HIV/AIDS only to gays (not that there is anything wrong w/ that & Magic is the proud father of an openly gay son).

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Houston giving the Lakers a gentleman's sweep in 86? Won 4 in a row after dropping game 1

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 1 "what if I told you" in the promo. Must not be that good.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, the only thing I knew about that series was that Magic had those struggles, Mchale cloteheslined Rambis, and Boston won. The amount of animosity, and close game moments in that series had is unreal. I was mad in 08, but I can't imagine what seeing the Lakers lose THAT series was like.

One of my closest friends at the time was a die hard Celtics fan. Was. Not. Fun.

The fact that Pat freakin Riley didn't want to come out of the commentating booth, AND the fact that he said, "well if no one else wants it, I'll take it" is hilarious to me. Also, I was shocked at the fact that people really viewed Showtime as "street ball"

Yeah, Riley had a great gig being Chick's sidekick. If memory serves, Chick had to talk him into it. I remember the press conference and that it seemed a bit awkward. At the time, after Dr. Buss said they were going to be co-head coaches, when West spoke, I assumed that Dr. Buss had misspoke and West was just clearing it up.

It wasn't until several years later that I learned about West realizing co-head coaches wouldn't work in the middle of the press conference and changed things up on Dr. Buss. lol

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started following sports in 1986, so I missed most of the Celtics-Lakers rivalry of the '80s, but I did watch the 1987 NBA Finals. I feel lucky that there was so much greatness in the first Finals I ever watched. Bird, McHale, Parish and the Celtics were incredible, but man, the Showtime Lakers were unstoppable that season. I'm also lucky that the Warriors treated me to the Sleepy Floyd Game. No one was stopping the Lakers that year, but that one night was magic.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I wish Cleveland or GS had. A legitimate competitive/hated team to compete against in their conferences

Agreed but for GS the Spurs have always been that potential but they can never keep their shit together or healthy...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their reaction would be fine. If you grew up in the era then it wouldn't bother you much because you're used to it. Just like if those guys from the 80's were playing now and grew up in this era then they would probably act very similar to those guys you mention.

This is so obviously true and yet it still has to be said to some people...

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great series. I friggin loved ML's games and antics. Knocking on the lakers door to let them know the celtics were ready to play is a classic

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how dominant these teams were in that decade, it is kinda disappointing that they only played each other 3x in the finals

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great series. I friggin loved ML's games and antics. Knocking on the lakers door to let them know the celtics were ready to play is a classic

Kinda reeks of douchebaggery, but he's one of those guys you only like if he's on your team; a benchwarmer with a big mouth.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was a little let down with episode 2, as they didn't bring the rivalry up through modern day. Just as the Celtics are set to fade into obscurity for 20 years, the show ends.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was a little let down with episode 2, as they didn't bring the rivalry up through modern day. Just as the Celtics are set to fade into obscurity for 20 years, the show ends.

Yeah Part 1 & 2 were much better IMO

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Celtics needed to slow down the Lakers, so getting physical was really the only way. It definitely took the Lakers out of their game and shook them up mentally. Putting DJ on Magic helped too. The Pistons followed the Celtics in the East and just maintained the tradition.

The 85 series was definitely payback. The Celtics destroyed the Lakers game 1 but after that, the Lakers particularly Jabbar were done taking crap and just outplayed the Celtics.

*sigh* the streak had to end sometime.