• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2014 Off-Season Thread

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having a coach is hurting the Lakers for Free agency. Players need to know the coach and what system he will run.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think B. Scott is the new coach and is already on the job and despite Kobe's aspirations, I think we will have another roster of one or two year deals much like last year because the Lakers are not going to get Anthony or LeBron and Gasol wants too much money and wants a ring. He'll sign with the Heat.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think B. Scott is the new coach and is already on the job and despite Kobe's aspirations, I think we will have another roster of one or two year deals much like last year because the Lakers are not going to get Anthony or LeBron and Gasol wants too much money and wants a ring. He'll sign with the Heat.

I agree. Let Gasol go. We have to plan for the summer of 2015.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like Hollins is signing on with the Nets. B. Scott will be hired soon enough.

I don't think Gasol signs with the Heat. He's looking for a $10+ mil salary. The Heat won't be able to afford that.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Stephenson, Melo, Pau...

Amongst all the rumors - Can we afford to sign all 3 of these guys if Pau takes a cut?

Roster:

PG - Stephenson
SG - Kobe
SF - Melo
PF - Randle
C - Pau

Assuming Randle pans out, that looks pretty damn good to me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amongst all the rumors - Can we afford to sign all 3 of these guys if Pau takes a cut?

Roster:

PG - Stephenson
SG - Kobe
SF - Melo
PF - Randle
C - Pau

Need a coach that can rein in Stephenson, but I like that...2 off the dribble players, a good passing big, and a good shooter...Randle wouldn't have to be a 18 & 7 guy right away.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Roster:

PG - Stephenson
SG - Kobe
SF - Melo
PF - Randle
C - Pau

I don't see how. Basically, Lebron and 'Melo would have to be willing to sign 2 year deals at about $12 million per season with the agreement that they re-negotiate for a huge raise after those 2 years when Kobe retires, Nash is off the books and Pau likely retires.

Pau would also have to agree to about $8 million per year and they still might not be able to fit Stephenson in.

Getting Pau to sign for around $8 mil per wouldn't be a problem if Lebron and 'Melo sign, but I don't see them signing for half of what Kobe will be making, even if it's only for 2 years.

Even if the Lakers waive Nash and use the stretch provision, it would only get 'Melo and Lebron up to about $15 mil per year. If they don't stretch Nash and just eat his salary this year, they could sign 'Melo and Lebron for $12mil a piece this year and bump it to between $16 and $17 mil next year. Still don't think it would be enough to get them, though.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how. Basically, Lebron and 'Melo would have to be willing to sign 2 year deals at about $12 million per season with the agreement that they re-negotiate for a huge raise after those 2 years when Kobe retires, Nash is off the books and Pau likely retires.

Pau would also have to agree to about $8 million per year and they still might not be able to fit Stephenson in.

Getting Pau to sign for around $8 mil per wouldn't be a problem if Lebron and 'Melo sign, but I don't see them signing for half of what Kobe will be making, even if it's only for 2 years.

Even if the Lakers waive Nash and use the stretch provision, it would only get 'Melo and Lebron up to about $15 mil per year. If they don't stretch Nash and just eat his salary this year, they could sign 'Melo and Lebron for $12mil a piece this year and bump it to between $16 and $17 mil next year. Still don't think it would be enough to get them, though.

Not part of the equation. Just talking Stephenson, Melo, and re-signing Pau.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not part of the equation. Just talking Stephenson, Melo, and re-signing Pau.

My bad. I thought you were including Lebron. I guess I just assumed because everyone else seems to be trying to fit them both. :lol:

'Melo and Stephenson could work if 'Melo was willing to sign for about $16-18 mil per year and Stephenson took about $6-8 mil and Pau $8-10. Don't know if the Lakers are looking at that (I'd have to assume they are), but that could actually be a very competitive lineup, especially if Kobe is at least close to where he was before the Achilles.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. I thought you were including Lebron. I guess I just assumed because everyone else seems to be trying to fit them both. :lol:

'Melo and Stephenson could work if 'Melo was willing to sign for about $16-18 mil per year and Stephenson took about $6-8 mil and Pau $8-10. Don't know if the Lakers are looking at that (I'd have to assume they are), but that could actually be a very competitive lineup, especially if Kobe is at least close to where he was before the Achilles.

You think both are a good fit?

Admittedly, I'm not a huge Melo fan...I would like it, Steph/Melo...but would rather Ariza over him...imo Melo has kinda of Reggie Millerish type game but needs the OFC centered around him more to be effective.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carmelo is going to listen to his wife and either go back to the Knicks or end-up in South Beach. They can keep Stephenson. Anybody that uses blowing into someone's ear (face) as a defense mechanism is lame to begin with.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the feeling lakers are all in on the big names when there are solid players who they will pass up while dreaming of lebron and carmelo. Gordon Hayward. For example in my eyes is a solid player who can make a difference. In talks with Cleveland right now. Pickings are slim after carmelo and lebron. But let's not fold the 2014 season while chasing unlikely fantasies. Let's not forget another bad year and Phoenix gets a top 10 pick

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think both are a good fit?

Admittedly, I'm not a huge Melo fan...I would like it, Steph/Melo...but would rather Ariza over him...imo Melo has kinda of Reggie Millerish type game but needs the OFC centered around him more to be effective.

With the right coach, yes. Plus, we know Kobe will knock them both out if he doesn't like what they're doing.

Stephenson at point would worry me more than 'Melo at SF. Stephenson seems like he would be a shoot first point guard and you don't want that with Kobe, 'Melo and hopefully Pau.

If 'Melo wants to win, he is going to have to adjust his game, no matter who he ends up playing for.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the feeling lakers are all in on the big names when there are solid players who they will pass up while dreaming of lebron and carmelo. Gordon Hayward. For example in my eyes is a solid player who can make a difference. In talks with Cleveland right now. Pickings are slim after carmelo and lebron. But let's not fold the 2014 season while chasing unlikely fantasies. Let's not forget another bad year and Phoenix gets a top 10 pick

The problem with Hayward is that he is an RFA and it's said that the Cavs are going to offer him a max deal. It's also said that Utah will match.

The Lakers would be beyond stupid to give Hayward a max contract and if it's correct that Utah intends to match even a max deal, they will certainly match whatever the Lakers offer.

I believe that the draft pick is top 5 protected. So, if the ping pong balls are kinder to them this time.......

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm thinking that would be a good lineup as well.

Stephenson
Kobe
Melo/Ariza
Randle
Pau/Monroe

Farmar
Swaggy
etc...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got the feeling they're not bringing Farmar back this year. They've already got Steve Nash and Jordan Clarkson. Will they get Kandall Marshall back?

And now names like Lance Stephenson, Isaiah Thomas and Kyle Lowry and being thrown around too. No mention of Farmar.

I like the dude but the signs are bleak at best.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall is in the fold indirectly. He has been assigned to the summer league. Hayward I think has re-signed for max bucks with Utah. Like I said, you can keep Stephenson and I agree with the points TJF12 has made regarding whether he'd be a good addition or not.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Hayward is that he is an RFA and it's said that the Cavs are going to offer him a max deal. It's also said that Utah will match.

The Lakers would be beyond stupid to give Hayward a max contract and if it's correct that Utah intends to match even a max deal, they will certainly match whatever the Lakers offer.

I believe that the draft pick is top 5 protected. So, if the ping pong balls are kinder to them this time.......

yeah true. Hayward is a nice player..i agree probably not worth max contract. was just an example to go by really. my point is not to put all your cards in one basket...don't want to have to rely on Xavier henry, wes Johnson type of players to fill out roster again.

probably would have been much more ping pong balls had nick young not decided he was a all star last 2 weeks of season. my list of wants outside of melo, LeBron are....isiah Thomas, kyle lowry, trevor ariza, greg Monroe, chandler parsons. some less talented options out there but don't want to miss out on the second tier players chasing the gold.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah true. Hayward is a nice player..i agree probably not worth max contract. was just an example to go by really. my point is not to put all your cards in one basket...don't want to have to rely on Xavier henry, wes Johnson type of players to fill out roster again.

probably would have been much more ping pong balls had nick young not decided he was a all star last 2 weeks of season. my list of wants outside of melo, LeBron are....isiah Thomas, kyle lowry, trevor ariza, greg Monroe, chandler parsons. some less talented options out there but don't want to miss out on the second tier players chasing the gold.

The problem is if they don't land a big fish this summer, they need to keep cap flexibility for the next summer. All of these guys are going to want multi-year deals. I don't think the front office is willing to go down that road. They've preached patience regarding the rebuild.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is if they don't land a big fish this summer, they need to keep cap flexibility for the next summer. All of these guys are going to want multi-year deals. I don't think the front office is willing to go down that road. They've preached patience regarding the rebuild.

I wouldn't mind them signing a couple of solid role players to longer term deals. Kobe's contract is up in 2 years, so if they get a couple of good role players from this FA class, it can make them more attractive to max guys next year and the following.